Scouring the shelves for profit
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:51 pm 

Galal's Grave is a very short adventure, which is lovely for a low level party -- simple, but not groundbreaking. I have ran through it on a number of occasions when a DM, new to everything, just wanted something to run, so I loaned them it. I'd have given something like B2 or whatever, but GG is much more direct.

Anyway, the cover art for it was used on my own SG1: Engineering Dungeons.

Galal's Grave is likely not that valuable.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:52 pm 

Ah! So you wrote Engineering Dungeons. Didn't know that.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:54 pm 

Yep, I wrote Engineering Dungeons, along with some other things like Monsters and Treasure (clarification: only the majority of the monsters, not the entire book) and some bits and bobs for Castle Zagyg (not very much, but a little). I hope you enjoyed it, if you have it, and would be interested in hearing your opinion about it... can only improve if one knows where one lacks.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:00 pm 

Well, I have it in PDF and hardcopy (only the one copy though, I believe). I liked the general concept. Very usable, and a more concise version of say CC Dungeon, but I haven't had the time to fully read it, so I wouldn't want to elaborate. I bought them because I always like to add to my thinking on dungeon design in general. It's certainly something I would recommend, and if I ever get around to putting up a description or a review, I'll let you know.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:57 pm 

Table 10b.... St. Elmo's Belt   8O

Kinda JG-esque with the table-constuctions, and I appreciate the forethought as to the dungeon's purpose... a builder must consider why   :D

Probably, I'll pick and choose from the tables... lots of good ideas and I'll be able to use similar logic in designing my own.  Thanks serleran!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:15 am 

islestrike wrote:In particular I'd nominate the Wilderlands Box Set.  All the old Wilderlands material and maps compiled into one updated work.  Lots of setting material and minimal 3.5 stat info.  JG fans & collectors will be looking for it more in the future.  It is getting more scarce now, but Ebay prices are still around cover or just slightly above when you find it.  I attribute part of that to people thinking another one is just around the corner, but their frequency IS slowing.

I'd also say the same for all the Necromancer JG books, particularly CSIO and Players Guide with the maps.   Still out there but getting more scarce.

<snip>

Cheers!

Gregory

I have all those and you'll have to pry them out of my cold dead hands before I let them go. FYI... I got the Wilderlands boxed set for CAN $35 brand new!  :D

The LGSs where I live no clue that d20 system / OGL books are valuable. The store where I got the boxed set (i.e. called Warp 2) has a huge shelf of d20 books for sale at half price.

The last time I was there I think they still had the Thieves' World RPG Gift Set from Green Ronin. They also had one of the Castles and Crusades books, but I cannot remember which one. Warp 2's sister store (Warp 1) had a C&C boxed set as well. I'm thinking it is the Collector's Edition boxed set. Was there every any other C&C boxed sets?  :?:

Robert Blezard
"I write; therefore, I am!"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:24 am 

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I have City of Brass too. That's another boxed set I won't give up either.

Robert Blezard

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:39 am 

There are three C&C box sets:

1) C&C White Box Spartan 300

2) C&C White Box

3) Castle Zagyg: Upper Works

And, if one were to include it, though it is not "C&C" but the underlying rule system:

4) StarSIEGE: Event Horizon

There has been discussion about additional box sets, such as Harvesters and C&C Basic (designed for kids.) Beyond that, there are other TLG produced box sets, all of which relate to Gary Gygax:

5) Lejendary Adventure Essentials

6) Hall of Many Panes d20 / LA Dual-Stat Campaign [I forget this one sometimes as I have a copy of the pre-released manuscript]

And, there are slipsleeve "collections" which are almost a box set:

7) C&C Core Set [has the PHB, M&T, and Yggsburgh]

8) Gygaxian Fantasy World Series

#1 and #2 are effectively identical, except #2 has no numbering and no signatures -- I believe they were also all part of the same print run, but cannot verify that and it is sheer guesswork.

I can't think of any others.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:42 am 

Towers of Adventure is another box set

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:43 am 

Yes, sorry, that it is. Just got it not too long ago and it is definitely a box set. Thanks Plaag.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:06 pm 

I quite like the look of the ToA boxes set. Don't care much for the box, but I like the feel of the product. Damned shame TLG are PDF averse when the need is highest.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:58 pm 

serleran wrote:There are three C&C box sets:

1) C&C White Box Spartan 300

2) C&C White Box

3) Castle Zagyg: Upper Works

And, if one were to include it, though it is not "C&C" but the underlying rule system:

4) StarSIEGE: Event Horizon

There has been discussion about additional box sets, such as Harvesters and C&C Basic (designed for kids.) Beyond that, there are other TLG produced box sets, all of which relate to Gary Gygax:

5) Lejendary Adventure Essentials

6) Hall of Many Panes d20 / LA Dual-Stat Campaign [I forget this one sometimes as I have a copy of the pre-released manuscript]

And, there are slipsleeve "collections" which are almost a box set:

7) C&C Core Set [has the PHB, M&T, and Yggsburgh]

8) Gygaxian Fantasy World Series

#1 and #2 are effectively identical, except #2 has no numbering and no signatures -- I believe they were also all part of the same print run, but cannot verify that and it is sheer guesswork.

I can't think of any others.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. How rare is the C&C Core Set?

FYI... I knew about the Castle Zagyg: Upper Works boxed set. I guess I should have specificed that I was wondering about only "rules" boxed sets.

Robert Blezard

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:27 pm 

I can't say with any certainty, but I believe it was composed from existing books (2nd print PHB and M&T) and Yggsburgh rather than having a run of new books specifically for it. I have also only seen it in stores twice, and then one copy each, and never on eBay -- in fact, I had to buy a spare slipsleeve from Noble Knight (the sleeve was sold separately, as well)... so, it matters on how many of those sleeves were made, and I would guesstimate less than 1000 -- more like 500 is a better judgment, and maybe that is too high. So, as a set, I would say it is fairly uncommon. After all, it is not Cleaver the Pit v1 (of which 100 were printed.)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:13 pm 

As regards Engineering Dungeons, would anyone care to speculate as to when the first dungeon generating system was published?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:33 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:As regards Engineering Dungeons, would anyone care to speculate as to when the first dungeon generating system was published?

All I can think of is the section of the AD&D Dungeons Masters Guide (it was fun in a random kind of way).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:51 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
As regards Engineering Dungeons, would anyone care to speculate as to when the first dungeon generating system was published?

White Dwarf # 3 (1977) had an article by Roger Moore on generating random dungeon maps.

The Geomorphs and Monsters & Treasures accessories would seem likely to me to be the first published 'system'.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:54 am 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:
All I can think of is the section of the AD&D Dungeons Masters Guide (it was fun in a random kind of way).

I believe this material was first published in Strategic Review #1 (Spring 1975), as the article "Solo Dungeon Adventures" (by Gygax).

http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/articles-author.html

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:54 am 

What's the rarity of the books for the Scarred Lands setting by Sword & Sorcery Studios? What about the Malhavoc Press adventures and sourcebooks?

Robert Blezard

PreviousNext