Scouring the shelves for profit
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:12 pm 

Eryops wrote:Other things I can think of is Paizo's Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. I believe that issue #1 is already sold out, and #2 may be there soon as well. Don't know about the collectibility of them yet, but they are beautiful books and I doubt they'll be reprinted. The PFRPG Beta may also garner some value, depending on the success of the line.

EDIT: After looking at Paizo's site, it looks like #1 is indeed sold out, and #s 3 and 5 are down to 'non-mint' copies only. I assume that if they're sold out at Paizo's site (i.e. warehouse) they will trickle through the rest of the chain soon enough.

There was a re-print with #2, although I don't know how many were published in the reprint.
The various Paizo staff have said several times that they will not be updating the first four APs to PF RPG, nor will they reprint again, because in their view, that will take away sales from whatever the current AP will be at the time. Or something like that.
They've also said that 45,000 people downloaded the free beta PDF, and apparently the physical copies sold out months ago.
Hope that helps!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:25 pm 

ericthecleric wrote:

There was a re-print with #2, although I don't know how many were published in the reprint.
The various Paizo staff have said several times that they will not be updating the first four APs to PF RPG, nor will they reprint again, because in their view, that will take away sales from whatever the current AP will be at the time. Or something like that.
They've also said that 45,000 people downloaded the free beta PDF, and apparently the physical copies sold out months ago.
Hope that helps!

I have a very nice set of the first Pathfinder AP, Rise of the Runelords, that I just picked up.  All six books are in EX/NM shape, and except for very minor dings, they look like they were bought and read but never used.  If anyone is interested, I will sell them for $120 for the set (cover price) plus shipping; if I don't get any offers I'll look at selling them separately or puttting them on ebay.  I hate to part with them, they really are beautiful books.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:45 pm 

During my scouring time for today, I managed to find a shop that still had two copies of DCC#35 boxed set for $70 CAD each (about $55 US).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:53 pm 

Mars wrote:During my scouring time for today, I managed to find a shop that still had two copies of DCC#35 boxed set for $70 CAD each (about $55 US).

+/- shrink :lol: :lol: thought would still be possible but good to have confirmed mark :) :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:04 pm 

Still in shrink.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:48 pm 

Mars wrote:During my scouring time for today, I managed to find a shop that still had two copies of DCC#35 boxed set for $70 CAD each (about $55 US).

Wow!  You can probably turn those around at 100% profit.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:37 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Wow!  You can probably turn those around at 100% profit.

I'll end up keeping one since I don't have one but it would be nice to sell the other to cover the cost of them both.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:34 pm 

Mars wrote:I'll end up keeping one since I don't have one but it would be nice to sell the other to cover the cost of them both.

easier to swap for cz:uw here ;) ;)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 pm 

Aaaragh...
  :evil:

Too much to ask where they were...?

No, never mind...   Probably I'd rather not know...    :?

Good find for you    :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:03 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Ah, that makes sense.  And that's generous of Paizo, too.  My current gaming knowlege is hit-and-miss, mostly miss.

Currently, Amazon and eBay copies are about $15 under retail and not selling.  I had to lowball to turn my copy around.

Are you talking about City of Brass?  The ones on Amazon right now are around $70.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:51 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:Are you talking about City of Brass?  The ones on Amazon right now are around $70.

Argh.  The cheap copies on Amazon were bought, and/or Amazon prices went up in the past month.  Copies in eBay stores are still cheaper than retail.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:58 pm 

I bought a copy of City of Brass like 8 months back for $30 on Amazon. Sold it, though. Not that amazed by it... some good stuff, but I don't really need it.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 pm 

Is the DCC#30 Vault of the Dragon Kings Tournament Edition box set worthwhile? I know those Gazetteer box sets are hard to find now, but I saw this one at a local rpg store for retail price.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:29 pm 

misterspock wrote:Is the DCC#30 Vault of the Dragon Kings Tournament Edition box set worthwhile? I know those Gazetteer box sets are hard to find now, but I saw this one at a local rpg store for retail price.

IMO it is worthwhile as a potential collectible for several reasons.

1. Super huge box set that is almost guaranteed to get dinged, bowed, or bent in some way.  They are so big and heavy that the shrinkwrap is almost always damaged as well.
2. Low print run.  Not sure exactly how many were printed but Goodman sold out of them very quickly.  I havent seen any in retail stores for a couple of months now.  I still see DCC 51 in stores and have ran across a DCC 35 as recently as a couple of weeks ago.
3. Miniatures.  Odds are a lot of people that bought this set will end up using the miniatures for something else and there will be a lot of incomplete sets in the future.

The only things I see preventing it from being a serious collectible is the price tag and the fact that there isnt really anything special about it other than the miniatures.  You can get the adventure cheap and the handouts for tournament play are nothing more than extra padding unless you are one of the few that actually plan to play the adventure in a tournament setting.

I think that the DCC #30 Tournament Edition will end up being thought of in the same way the Fighting Wheel is.  "Sure it's pretty neat and kinda rare but do I really want to pay that much for something that I will probably never use?"  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:55 pm 

Comparing it with DCC51 is not a good idea.  DCC 51 doesn't look like it will get full retail price anytime soon.  Places like NK and T&T seem to have many copies so it will be a long time before it becomes hard to find.

DCC 30 is definitely hampered by the fact that the regular version is easy to find and can be found cheap.  Someone who wants to play it will most likely pay the $10 or less to get the regular version instead of paying much more for the tournament version.  Although hard core collectors will be interested in tournament version - the real question is how many of them are there out there.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:26 am 

I dunno, but I do know I've never seen it anywhere. DCC35, 51, and some of the other big box sets (except Rappan Athuk: Reloaded and Castle Zagyg:Upper Works) show up in the places I haunt with some regularity, or are always in (DCC51), so maybe its a distribution thing -- more copies floating around in a certain geographic region making it less in demand there, but harder to get elsewhere? I dunno. But, if all it offers is a few miniatures different than the standard version, I don't see a reason why I'd want it -- not a hardcore d20 collector for sure. Not sure there are many of those.... maybe some DCC collectors, but they've probably already gotten one.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:27 am 

Thanks for all the responses.  I am wondering if it's a distribution thing, too, being that I haven't seen that #35 Gazetteer anywhere around the Los Angeles, Phoenix and Tucson areas the last couple of months. I do remember seeing one copy of that many months ago in Burbank, but the CZ:UW I have definitely not seen at all.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I think that the DCC #30 Tournament Edition will end up being thought of in the same way the Fighting Wheel is.  "Sure it's pretty neat and kinda rare but do I really want to pay that much for something that I will probably never use?"  :wink:

Good comparison. Spot on.
Mars wrote:Comparing it with DCC51 is not a good idea.  DCC 51 doesn't look like it will get full retail price anytime soon.  Places like NK and T&T seem to have many copies so it will be a long time before it becomes hard to find.

I know there are die hard GG fans on this board, but DCC#51 is only likely to be collectable on the back of the average quality of the rest of the DCC line being reletively high. As a sole product it is pretty poor and written in a knee jerk fashion to fill the perceived mega-dungeon hole in the market as a quick money maker. It's only marginally better that AEG's Worlds Worst Dungeon or whatever it was called. DCC#51 can thank it's lucky stars that the DCC designation will keep it's resale values higher than the $30 sale values we've seen, but even in five years, I don't see it topping $100 too often.
misterspock wrote:Is the DCC#30 Vault of the Dragon Kings Tournament Edition box set worthwhile? I know those Gazetteer box sets are hard to find now, but I saw this one at a local rpg store for retail price.

DCC#30 TE is one for the DCC collectors. I don't think the quality of the miniatures is that great per se, so it's unlikely to appeal to the miniature market, but I think this will be a must have for the die hard DCC collector.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext