Scouring the shelves for profit
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:35 pm 

While most of the focus in the forums is on significantly older material, sometimes newer items can have considerable value, for various reasons.  And due to regional demand (or more specifically, lack thereof), great deals can be found in unused stock on a store's shelves.  Sometimes books can be sitting for a very long time indeed!  I'm certain this is true of my main collecting area (comics), and as I get reacquainted with gaming, I'm learning some of the possibilities here too.

So what are the recent (let's say the last 10-15 years) items, which purchased at retail price, will have little problem making a tidy profit when brought to the larger marketplace (here/DF/ebay/etc.)?

Today's grab - Castle Zagyg: Upper Works... and I should probably go back and buy the other copy too!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:42 pm 

Books from Privateer Press RPG line: All are OOP
Any box sets from Necromancer Games

I'm sure I'll think of others.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:51 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Today's grab - Castle Zagyg: Upper Works... and I should probably go back and buy the other copy too!

Yes. You should not have left any in the shop at all. I take it you're in the US? I don't think they made it into shops outside of the US.
Plaag wrote:Books from Privateer Press RPG line: All are OOP
Any box sets from Necromancer Games

R3 Rappan Athuk 3 - Necromancer - Last in the series and hard to find cheap.
D1 The Tomb of Abysthor - Necromancer - Think of it as a poor man's Rappan Athuk. A secret little gem in Necromancer's product list.
Ptolus - Monte Cook's hardback city campaign setting. The hardback, 'cos all the paperback add ons are cheap as chips.
Dune - Hardback (don't know much about this one, but it fetches high prices).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:00 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Dune - Hardback (don't know much about this one, but it fetches high prices).

Only ever sold once at a distant past Gencon.  Never sold through stores.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:32 pm 

You can check out the Dungeon Crawl Classics thread on this site as well for some of the more valuable issues from that line. It looks like the D&D 3.5 PHB is enjoying some unusual popularity right now as well.

Other things I can think of is Paizo's Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. I believe that issue #1 is already sold out, and #2 may be there soon as well. Don't know about the collectibility of them yet, but they are beautiful books and I doubt they'll be reprinted. The PFRPG Beta may also garner some value, depending on the success of the line.

EDIT: After looking at Paizo's site, it looks like #1 is indeed sold out, and #s 3 and 5 are down to 'non-mint' copies only. I assume that if they're sold out at Paizo's site (i.e. warehouse) they will trickle through the rest of the chain soon enough.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:25 pm 

I'll second Rise of the Runelord and other early Pathfinder supplements.  I'd also pick up anything Castle Zagyg, including the "town" supplements.

I'd always pick up a DCC35 box set if I see one on the shelves; otherwise I'd echo Mbassoc's list.

Oh, and Rappan Atthuk #3 (the deep levels) is the hardest to find of the trilogy, and can go for quite a bit for those who can't find the boxed set and just want an original trilogy, so that's a good call on that one.

Some of the Necromancer releases, like Banewarrens and Bonegarden, are getting harder to find. I predict Necromancer stuff will have cult value and appeal to future 3/3.5 collectors.

How about the first attempt at the Ice and Fire RPG, the hardback that quickly disappeared from the shelves a couple of years ago when the company went under? Who published this?

While Hackmaster stuff is plentiful now it also has a cult following. Stuff like City of Brass, Temple of Existential Evil, and Hackjammer seem to have been short-printed.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:28 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:D1 The Tomb of Abysthor - Necromancer - Think of it as a poor man's Rappan Athuk. A secret little gem in Necromancer's product list.

I think of this one as what the D20 version of Temple of Elemental Evil should have been.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:04 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:So what are the recent (let's say the last 10-15 years) items, which purchased at retail price, will have little problem making a tidy profit when brought to the larger marketplace (here/DF/ebay/etc.)?

Why would I want to help someone steal my profit?  ;)

Bought at retail price, these can be resold quickly and profitably:
  • Castle Zagyg: Upper Works (boxed set)
  • DCC #35 (Gazetteer boxed set)
  • Ptolus (hardback)
  • Rappan Athuk Reloaded (boxed set)
Flipping the thread, at retail price . . .
  • Not City of Brass (Necromancer boxed set)
  • Not DCC #51 (Castle Whiterock)
  • Nothing from Fast Forward Games, even the recalled books
  • Nothing Lejendary
  • Nothing Mongoose
  • Nothing "World's Largest . . ."
  • Nothing pre-painted
  • Nothing Wizards
  • Nothing WizKids
  • Not dice

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:41 pm 

Badmike wrote:How about the first attempt at the Ice and Fire RPG, the hardback that quickly disappeared from the shelves a couple of years ago when the company went under? Who published this?

That would be Guardians of Order. That particular book was statted in both d20 and Tri-Stat.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:38 pm 

Eryops wrote:That would be Guardians of Order. That particular book was statted in both d20 and Tri-Stat.

They also did a Tekumel setting book, but I don't know about value/profit for it.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:41 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Flipping the thread, at retail price . . .
  • Not City of Brass (Necromancer boxed set)

This may see more demand what with Paizo's Pathfinder Legacy of Fire adventure path.  They will include a couple of call outs in the adventure about using Necromancer Game's CoB.

I would add though to the not list Necromancer Game's Tome of Horror, they are releasing a Pathfinder version.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:40 pm 

Plaag wrote:This may see more demand what with Paizo's Pathfinder Legacy of Fire adventure path.  They will include a couple of call outs in the adventure about using Necromancer Game's CoB.

Ah, that makes sense.  And that's generous of Paizo, too.  My current gaming knowlege is hit-and-miss, mostly miss.

Currently, Amazon and eBay copies are about $15 under retail and not selling.  I had to lowball to turn my copy around.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:34 pm 

Plaag wrote:They also did a Tekumel setting book, but I don't know about value/profit for it.

Worth maybe $15-$25 last time I checked.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:37 pm 

Necromancer - City of Brass
Necromancer - Abysthor

These two are readily available and will see hikes in price relatively quicky, Abysthor more so than City of Brass in the short term. City of Brass will plateau, but Abysthor will rise the same way Rappan Athuk has. It's quality presumable comes down to Bill Webb's input.

Troll Lord Games - Castle Zagyg Upper Works
Troll Lord Games - Dark Chateau
Troll Lord Games - Yggsburgh

Castle Zagyg Upper Works is probably, undesputedly, this decade's most significant product release. Add to that the fact that there are probably less than 700 copies worldwide and you have a product that is fast becoming one of the rarest and most sought after by both collectors and players alike. Those who don't get one and guard it well, will regret it for years to come. This is just the beginning of the price rise in these boxed sets.

Castle Zagyg Dark Chateau and Yggsburgh will be sought after and enjoy the knock on affect of the Upper Works price hike. So holding stock of those is probably not a bad idea. The unexpected diamond in the crop is probably the much ignored East Mark Gazetteer.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:45 pm 

Abysthor

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sword-Sorcery-The ... 18Q2el1247

Only slightly more expensive than I'd expect at the moment.

Incidentally, Amazon.com have a couple of cheap copies with resellers who won't ship international, so those are worth investing in also. I reckon anything under $50 in NM condition is worth buying.

Rappan Athuk III

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The international shipping and stock photo kills the deal for me, but if you ask questions and you're in the US this may be a bargain.

Again, there are cheap copies on Amazon.com from sellers who won't ship internationally, so they may be worth investing in.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:54 pm 

Basically if it's Necromancer Games do some checking.
Through White Wolf they never did more then 1 printing, same through the smaller companies of Kenzer, Troll Lords.

I'd probably also recommend checking on earlier works of some of the successful writers still going right now, Wolfgang Baur comes to mind.  He writes for Paizo, but Badmike talked about The Gryphon's Legacy once and it really is a good module (however is it collectible now, not sure)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:56 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Abysthor

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Only slightly more expensive than I'd expect at the moment.
Incidentally, Amazon.com have a couple of cheap copies with resellers who won't ship international, so those are worth investing in also. I reckon anything under $50 in NM condition is worth buying.

Why is this one worth more?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:41 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Why is this one worth more?

That particular copy I'm nervous about on account of condition. But the product is large (in game play time), well presented, well written, and comes from the pen of Bill Webb. This is Rappan Athuk's baby brother, and where you can't buy one, you'll find people will buy the other. Put it this way; if I could find someone who'd sell me a box load at retail price right now, I'd bite their hand off for the chance.

In the same vein, Troll Lord's East Mark Gazetteer will be worth picking up, because if you can't get the boxed set (CZ:UW), this is the next best thing. I reckon CZ:EMG will remain above retail price when stocks run out, and rise steadily from there.

Next