"Midnight" a d20 series
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:11 pm 
 

I stopped by my local Half Priced Books shop and was able to purchase the following below.  My question is what do you think of this series?  Art work is more towards the electronic than I like, but that being said the art work is good.  Any chance that this stuff will increase in value?  I'm doubting it will but I do not know the d20 stuff at all.

Fury of Shadow (Box set in shrink):  Retail 49.95; I paid 7.98.
Hand of Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Forge of Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Under the Shadow (Booklet): Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Star and Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Honor and Shadown (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Sorcery and Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Heart of Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Legends of Shadow (Booklet): Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Destiny and Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
City of Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.

Total with Tax: 46:87 so not bad.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:32 pm 
 

[email protected]#$%, I just put up the limited boxed set and the hardback on Amazon.  They are still expensive on Amazon and less so on eBay.  I am hoping for quick score so I can repeat the buy-sell process a few more times.

IMHO, buy the hardback if you can.  I paid $7.98 + tax for it, and it is a pretty beefy book.

I doubt that any of the Midnight line will increase in value.  I imagine that every HPB is getting a ton of these books, so they aren't rare by any means.  The boxed set and hardback may retain some value.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 601
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Last Visit: Feb 23, 2021
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:59 pm 
 

That's a great buy. The Midnight d20 material is well worth reading, and probably one of the only "d20" product lines I really enjoyed.

Get them if you can - if nothing else, they make amazing source material. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Midnight campaign setting, imagine Middle Earth....if Sauron won.

:)


Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7946
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:59 pm 
 

Prufrock wrote:I stopped by my local Half Priced Books shop and was able to purchase the following below.  My question is what do you think of this series?  Art work is more towards the electronic than I like, but that being said the art work is good.  Any chance that this stuff will increase in value?  I'm doubting it will but I do not know the d20 stuff at all.

Fury of Shadow (Box set in shrink):  Retail 49.95; I paid 7.98.
Hand of Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Forge of Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Under the Shadow (Booklet): Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Star and Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Honor and Shadown (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Sorcery and Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Heart of Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Legends of Shadow (Booklet): Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
Destiny and Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.
City of Shadow (Booklet):  Retail 14.95; I paid 3.98.

Total with Tax: 46:87 so not bad.



I'd recommend it as a fun read...it's got a really unique take on a different sort of D&D campaign.  Basically, evil is ascendent in the world and uber-powerful; your characters are "good" (or, at worst, opposing the great evil) and must fight against the great evil in whatever small way might help.  I got the impression "defeating" the great evil is impossible; and a TPK is always a possibility.  Good for those who don't want a lot of "sweetness and light" in their campaign world  and prefer "dark and gritty".

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5612
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Feb 27, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:50 pm 
 

It's useful to use as ideas for a Carl Sargent era GH campaign, and stands well on its own too, and perhaps would also be good for rounding out some of the alternate primes in Q1.

The core guys who designed Midnight (Jeff Barber and Greg Benage) were also the primary designers behind Blue Planet v2 (Jeff being the main BP guy).


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 93
Joined: Apr 26, 2008
Last Visit: Jul 19, 2009
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:03 pm 
 

I don't think that Midnight will become particularly valuable. I base that on nothing though ;)

On the game itself, I have played it, and know of long-term campaigns. One of the inherent problems with it is that it is a very hopeless setting, which can be difficult for players to handle for a long time (magic is very restricted, and many things are death sentences for the PCs such as carrying weapons or wearing armour in public). If everyone is on board, I think it can work, but the setting wears heavily on players who wear their characters on their sleeves.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 30, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:37 pm 
 

I personally prefer the 1st edition Midnight book, but the 2nd edition one is better. That is all of it I wanted, and all that I have.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:54 pm 
 

What's the difference between the 1st and 2nd ed. Midnight books?


"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 130
Joined: Mar 20, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 31, 2018
Location: Minneapolis

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:53 pm 
 

g026r wrote:What's the difference between the 1st and 2nd ed. Midnight books?


I agree, this is one of the most solid d20 product lines.   This is the only ongoing d20 campaign that we have.    High casualty rate and very gritty.

The second edition includes information from several of the sourcebooks.   It also evens out some of the classes.   It is a bit confusing to use the 1E book when using some of the later sourcebooks.


Let's git to killin'!!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7946
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:40 am 
 

Guido-the-Gypsy wrote:
I agree, this is one of the most solid d20 product lines.   This is the only ongoing d20 campaign that we have.    High casualty rate and very gritty.

The second edition includes information from several of the sourcebooks.   It also evens out some of the classes.   It is a bit confusing to use the 1E book when using some of the later sourcebooks.


I bought the boxed set today, it looks really nice. And considering it went for $50 retail, you can't pass up the $8 HPB price if you see it there....I suspect they will sell out of these at this price PDQ.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 130
Joined: Mar 20, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 31, 2018
Location: Minneapolis

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:33 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
I bought the boxed set today, it looks really nice. And considering it went for $50 retail, you can't pass up the $8 HPB price if you see it there....I suspect they will sell out of these at this price PDQ.

Mike B.


Sadly, they won't be producing any more books.   Fantasy Flight is now focused on their Warhammer licences (which they have handled very nicely so far, in my opinion).    Fortunately, most of the books are fairly available right now.


Let's git to killin'!!

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3861
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 28, 2021
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:

I bought the boxed set today, it looks really nice. And considering it went for $50 retail, you can't pass up the $8 HPB price if you see it there....I suspect they will sell out of these at this price PDQ.

Mike B.




Just finished plundering the five HPBs here in Chicago. Only two have the boxed sets, but all have multiple copies of the supplement type books and I think they all had one or two copies of the Hardcovers.



I passed on the boxed set, but I might run back and grab one tomorrow on my way back home.



No real good finds, but I did find some Plansecape stuff and I did grab Poor Wizards Almanacs II and III  in excellent shape with the maps still attached. I know, no big deal, but I just have never seemed to grap them on ebay.


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1