The Order and the Rescue by Probability Enterprises
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:05 am 

Hi folks,

does anyone know this supplement, "The Order and the Rescue"? I found an advertising for it, "suitable for Fantasy Role Playing Games", by Probability Enterprises.
It includes THE DERYNI, a new character class, and a scenario for 4-8, 6th through 10th level characters.
It seems to have been released in 1983.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:15 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Hi folks,

does anyone know this supplement, "The Order and the Rescue"? I found an advertising for it, "suitable for Fantasy Role Playing Games", by Probability Enterprises.
It includes THE DERYNI, a new character class, and a scenario for 4-8, 6th through 10th level characters.
It seems to have been released in 1983.

Mars has a copy, and I flipped through his copy before I shipped it to him.

It is a roleplaying treatment of Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series, and looks to be done without any sort of license.  Very interesting item and apparantly very rare.  Maybe Mars can be a bit more specific if he's had a chance to read through it.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:31 am 

Thanks Mike!
I will ask to Mark :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:04 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:It seems to have been released in 1983.

this one  
** expired eBay auction **

did not expect competition ;) ;)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:11 pm 

Now I know what the cover looks like :) thanks!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:42 pm 

Yes, I have a copy and tracked down the author a number of weeks ago now.  He said he might have some copies still around but I have emailed him a few times since the initial response but haven't heard back from him.

Where did you find an ad for this one?  I did a search but didn't find much out about it.

The module itself is actually not too bad.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:54 pm 

I found it in a mini-module for CoC, the thing in the darkness (by Matthew J. Costello).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:15 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:I found it in a mini-module for CoC, the thing in the darkness (by Matthew J. Costello)

http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=7442 ?? neat spot thx + for scan. quite obscure :) :) possible multiple articles in recent dragon to blame for release?? ^^

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:17 pm 

FWIW, there was an article covering the Deryni in Dragon #78:

I was wracking my brain because I knew I recognized the the name "Deryni" and I was certain I didn;t own any of the above mentioned items or the novels. Sure enough though, after checking the Dragondex, there it was. I don't remember too much of what it covered and I haven't had a chance to check it out there, but IIRC the article was at least a few pages. :)  It might be worth checking out.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:25 pm 

thats the one brian >1 article 8) 8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:55 am 

No mention about this FRP module in Dragon Mag? Only Deryni class is described?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:43 am 

lokiwookie wrote:No mention about this FRP module in Dragon Mag? Only Deryni class is described?

Yes the Deryni class is described and there is no mention of the module in Dragon Mag.  

The author of the Dragon Magazine article and the author of The Order & The Rescue are different people (I believe) although they were probably aware of each other's work.  

I haven't had a chance to dig out my Dragon magazine to compare the two but I am guessing the Deryni class described in the module is in more detail.  In the module, 32 pages are dedicated to describing the class including magical devices and a lot of new spell patterns (this takes up most of the class pages).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:17 pm 

As a quick update, I heard back from the author today.  The last message I received was from Nov 5th so you get an idea of how long this process of tracking down items can be (the last one I sent was Dec 17).  He initially thought he had a box but has since learned that "that box" was thrown out in the last move, 3 years ago.  The author still thinks there are a couple of copies around and possibly some other stuff such as original artwork and maps so its a toss up of what will be uncovered.

I've heard this a couple of times before - authors moved boxes for years through 3 or 4 moves then in the last couple of moves they are thrown out.  This was also the story for Spells of Aldernon and More Spells of Aldernon :(

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:47 am 

Mars wrote:I've heard this a couple of times before - authors moved boxes for years through 3 or 4 moves then in the last couple of moves they are thrown out.  

Several authors told me the same about other games :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 pm 

Mars wrote:As a quick update, I heard back from the author today.  The last message I received was from Nov 5th so you get an idea of how long this process of tracking down items can be (the last one I sent was Dec 17).  He initially thought he had a box but has since learned that "that box" was thrown out in the last move, 3 years ago.  The author still thinks there are a couple of copies around and possibly some other stuff such as original artwork and maps so its a toss up of what will be uncovered.

I've heard this a couple of times before - authors moved boxes for years through 3 or 4 moves then in the last couple of moves they are thrown out.  This was also the story for Spells of Aldernon and More Spells of Aldernon :(

Actually from what I understand, POTVQ also!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:56 am 

Badmike wrote:Actually from what I understand, POTVQ also!!!

ouch :/ :/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 pm 

As a further update on this one, it looks like a box of copies has been found (I don't know how many copies this equates to).  But, I think that means that anyone who really wants one should be able to get one and the price will be quite reasonable - I'm shooting for a price of $20-$25.