Upper Works in Shrink
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Incidentally, Cougarinard has these up for £24.95 on eBay. A damned good price for the UK when you factor in the cost of trying to get these shipped over from The States. And I've still to see them appear in any UK stores or in NKG.

Just avoided having to buy off Cougar by using Gameslore at similar price  :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:10 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Well 500 copies seems to be some kind of standard for wargaming boxed sets. GMT, Avalanche, LNL, all do 500 copy print runs.

I can't speak for all these companies, but GMT does a P500 (as in preorder 500) where they won't put a game into production until they have 500 preorders on a game. If you look at their website, many of these games have 700-900+ preorders by the time they've moved into production. I would guess that they're printing anywhere from 1500 to 2000 copies. Popular titles like Twilight Struggle or the C&C series probably exceed these out-of-my-hat estimates.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:32 am 

Eryops wrote:
I can't speak for all these companies, but GMT does a P500 (as in preorder 500) where they won't put a game into production until they have 500 preorders on a game. If you look at their website, many of these games have 700-900+ preorders by the time they've moved into production. I would guess that they're printing anywhere from 1500 to 2000 copies. Popular titles like Twilight Struggle or the C&C series probably exceed these out-of-my-hat estimates.

Those pre-orders include retailer pre-orders. They have to cut things pretty close to the bone. When they say 500 they usually mean just about 500. I dont think a wargame company does 1500 to 2000 copy runs anymore.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:18 am 

I would also tend to doubt that. Particulatily when they control the printing process inhouse. If they want to run of 40 copies they can, so it makes no sense to invest the materials and storage problems associated with printing 1000 copies. I suggest they printed copies on a 'just in time' basis to fulfil orders as they cam in. And only shipped units into distribution networks once they were guaranteed their 300 unit purchse (that was the figure I believe TLG quoted as their minimum shipment into distribution).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:20 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I would also tend to doubt that. Particulatily when they control the printing process inhouse. If they want to run of 40 copies they can, so it makes no sense to invest the materials and storage problems associated with printing 1000 copies. I suggest they printed copies on a 'just in time' basis to fulfil orders as they cam in. And only shipped units into distribution networks once they were guaranteed their 300 unit purchse (that was the figure I believe TLG quoted as their minimum shipment into distribution).

Yeah, with TLG their print runs may depend on how many boxes, just the boxes, were ordered. The big thing with Upper Works is that they wont be making anymore, not even with their inhouse printing,

With wargames you can look at how long some of the pre-order 500s take. If it takes a year for GMT to get their 500 copy preorder it would be insane for them to print 1000+ copies. Those first 500 are their regular customers, retailers and whatever stock of that game they want to keep on hand.

Who will buy copy 501 let alone copy 1000? Board and counter wargames are an extremely niche market. An extra 500 copies would sit in their warehouse for more than just the time it took to get the pre-order. Those games will sit till they find another 500 customers, brand new customers. Finding 500 wargamers who want to own an individual copy of a game is tough nowadays, finding another 500 is a miracle. So what I'd expect is for them to just start another P500 list instead of printing extra copies.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:39 pm 

Are they not discontinuing the entire CZ line? No just CZ:UW. Don't Trigee own the rights to the whole lot?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:05 pm 

TLG no longer has the license to produce Castle Zagyg materials; this has been stated on the website and in Steve's blog. They remain amicable with Gail and Gygax Games (there is no Trigee anymore, that I can tell -- it is now Gygax Games.)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:15 pm 

serleran wrote:TLG no longer has the license to produce Castle Zagyg materials; this has been stated on the website and in Steve's blog. They remain amicable with Gail and Gygax Games (there is no Trigee anymore, that I can tell -- it is now Gygax Games.)

Those TLG Zagyg forums have been locked since the 24th of Nov it looks like. (Things you miss when your mind is on other stuff).

Seems like the entire future of Castle Zagyg is up in the air.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:34 pm 

The forum lock, unfortunately, was caused by some being a tad too liberal with their opinions why TLG had lost the license, at some points being a little accusatory to both TLG and Gail -- something that should not have happened, since she is just doing what she feels is best (or doing what Gary had requested.) They would have been locked eventually, but this was preemptive.

But, there have been no official announcements regarding the future of Castle Zagyg, other than two things:

1) Jeff Talanian will not be on the project; he resigned some time back and made an official statement as well

2) Troll Lord Games will not be producing it

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:27 pm 

Unfortunately, them mongooses have a habit of butchering stuff and churning out shite. Lets hope Gail can do something better that go to whoever gives her the biggest financial incentive. I guess the true CZ died with Gary. I'm sure people will be rehashing and butchering his memory for decades to come, based on varying degrees of credibility, and with spurious claims of pedigree.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:00 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Unfortunately, them mongooses have a habit of butchering stuff and churning out shite. Lets hope Gail can do something better that go to whoever gives her the biggest financial incentive. I guess the true CZ died with Gary. I'm sure people will be rehashing and butchering his memory for decades to come, based on varying degrees of credibility, and with spurious claims of pedigree.

Id keep an eye on Jef Talanian's works. He is one of the few with a real claim of pedigree.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:16 pm 

Id keep an eye on Jef Talanian's works.

I concur. He's hoping to have something ready for GenCon, by the way, though I don't have any idea what it is.

I do wish I'd contributed more to the project, but am quite pleased with what I was able to provide.

Previous