Troll Lord Games loses all Gygax licenses!
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:27 pm 

There's a blog post here:

http://trolldens.blogspot.com/

This is a real shame. Too early to say why, but the thread that informed me of this on RPG.net (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=422168) is starting to gear up with theories - conspiracy and otherwise.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:34 pm 

Lol. I was right.
CZ:UW was a one off, and if it doesn't hit the shops it's gonna be a rarity too. Lots of money in keeping those in SW. And as for the rest of CZ; I suspect we have another Castle Greyhawk effort to look forward to, much akin to TSR's attempt following EGG's departure there.
Still, anyone fancy auctioning a copy of the fabled CZ Bible?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:03 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Lol. I was right.
CZ:UW was a one off, and if it doesn't hit the shops it's gonna be a rarity too. Lots of money in keeping those in SW.

So far as I know, they were not issued in shrink.

mbassoc2003 wrote:And as for the rest of CZ; I suspect we have another Castle Greyhawk effort to look forward to, much akin to TSR's attempt following EGG's departure there.

Let's hope it's better than both WG7 and WGR1.

mbassoc2003 wrote:Still, anyone fancy auctioning a copy of the fabled CZ Bible?

That's something I'd still like to see :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:38 pm 

CZ: UW is going to stores, in whatever limited form Steve has -- he stated as much on the same blog entry where he says the licenses were pulled -- the reasons have not been disclosed, so you can think whatever you wish on that (and I bet I can say what they are for some of you...)

With this new news, it seems, perhaps, the "new CZ" will be in a different format... possibly 4e, possibly LA, possibly something else, or maybe even C&C. I really don't care -- if it is worthy of my dollar, I'll buy it.

And, it would be very funny if someone were to auction the CZ Bible, since that would be illegal.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:33 am 

I need some clarification:  Should I order UW or wait for it to be released?   Moreover, is the UW worth the price?  

Serl:  what do you mean by "limited form?"

Sorry, I'm just confused between this news and what happened to LA (which was sorted out by Serl a few weeks ago :) )--it's senseless.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:31 am 

PaulKM wrote:I need some clarification:  Should I order UW or wait for it to be released?   Moreover, is the UW worth the price?  

My bloody review is done for all but a few fact checks and one more read-through, so it'll be going live today.  Hopefully it'll help with your decision, PaulKM :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:54 pm 

It's a shame the whole thing couldn't have come from the one publishing house, even the same team. For continuity and feel alone, and on account of TLG being known for it's quality. I'd hate to see the remaining notes and maps butchered by a publishing house with ideas above it's ability. Limited budgets, deadlines and inexperience are the surest ways of destroying any creative spark that is left to be mined from the remaining notes. And I have grave doubts that the license holders really understand what needs to be done to do EGG's memory justice. Some of us may have seen this coming, but this is a black time for what remains of Dungeons & Dragons.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:16 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Limited budgets, deadlines and inexperience are the surest ways of destroying any creative spark that is left to be mined from the remaining notes.

We will have to wait and see what ends up happening but with Mongoose publishing LA, it doesn't seem much of a stretch to think that they will also publish whatever else Gygax Games produces.  As such, I think this would give GG a bigger budget and more experience than they had with TLG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 pm 

What else has Mongoose published?  My only exposure to them has been their splat books and the few I paged though did not impress me.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:33 pm 

NetRodent wrote:What else has Mongoose published?  My only exposure to them has been their splat books and the few I paged though did not impress me.

Mongoose published/publishes a host of RPGs.  Apart from their splatbooks, they publish Traveller, Paranoia, Judge Dredd, Runequest, Elric . . .

Take a look at their web page:  http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

They own a printing operation, so they do literally publish their own books.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:39 pm 

By "limited form" I mean only the quantity of product released -- Steve mentioned something about limited amounts going to distributors.  According to the blog, it does seem to have a few factors, one of which is the boxing company who has also lost the license (likely because it was through TLG, which means they have no cause to fulfill any contracts that may have been in place... so only those currently printed and boxed might go out, which may mean it is an incredibly small print run) but that is pure speculation based on theory and conjecture. So, I can't honestly say specifics (since I am not involved in that part of the business) but I can say that CZ: UW is still available, and I honestly suggest getting a copy if you can. It is worth the purchase.

Mongoose is printing LA, under the Flaming Cobra imprint -- they are not responsible for content, edits, layout, art (that I know of)... they simply act as the printing house. This is somewhat different than TLG who was responsible for edits, layout, art... which take a lot of time, especially when one person (Peter) is doing the art and layout, for every single product released. Basically, GG sends MGP a manuscript and says "print it" and they do. I assume they also help with advertising and marketing, but that is, as far as I know, the limit of their "duties" so, really, it makes no difference what they have done in the past (which is a lot, actually, considering the plethora of their licensed works) because they are doing nothing more than being a middleman for printing.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.