Ian's Tortured Souls collection
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:08 am 

With the recent talk of TS! mags, is this still an option?  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:15 pm 

PM me if one of these sets is still around.

Thanks very much

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:02 pm 

ian, how is this project coming along?

i havent been keeping tabs on this thread but its great to see the artist pop up from the old days - nice one!!

all i can say, even if you think its bad - its waaaaaaaay better than anything i could come up with and hey, at least you got published - far more than most ever do!!

and welcome to the site Jon....great to hear from you.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:50 am 

The product at my end is assembled.
A decent front end needs to be authored.
Disk manufacture is seleced.
Cover Art, Disk Art, and layouts are to be done.
The original artist has been contacted re. new artwork for the project in keeping with the original. Predominantly for the disk which will be printed.

Basil has been hard to keep in touch with, and ATM we have no go ahead permission from him. The project will be focussed solely on TS!1 through TS! 12 and the Zhalindor Map and Golden Spire. CDM Series has too many copyright overlap with rights held by Games Workshop.

Don't think we'll see this in 2011.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:13 am 

Is it ok to go though? I'd be very keen on the TS! and maps, regardless of the finished product with regards new artwork etc.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:46 am 

ashmire13 wrote:Is it ok to go though? I'd be very keen on the TS! and maps, regardless of the finished product with regards new artwork etc.

The PDF's are spot on. Very smooth. ANd the Zhalindor Map is a high-res colour scan. However, copyright is owned by Basil Barrett and possibly Simon Forrest also, and I need at least Basil's permission to take a product of any sort to production. We all know as soon as a product is published, particularly a PDF Archive, it'll be on Torrent within a day or so. So the saleability and continued sales are a product of the added value artists and product polish  bring to the party.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 am 

Thats fair enough. :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:27 am 

Great news! :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 am 

Hi Guys - guess who?  :D

Only just registered with the site, so no real idea what it's about or how the forums work.

No idea what stage you're at with this project as I've only seen part of the thread, but can whoever is organising it please put a hold on it for the moment and contact me to let me know where it's got to and what you've got in mind!

Ta

And Jon, great to hear you're still around and sorry for losing touch... If somebody can let me know how we can forward each other personal contacts ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:24 pm 

Hi Basil.
E-mail sent to you. I'd lost yours, but mine is still active.
Welcome to the forum. Your work is enjoyed and collected by many here.

As regards the project, it went on ice about 18 months ago after my e-mails with you dried up. I would like to see this through, but obviously I'm not gonna go ahead without permission and am happy to let it flounder on the rocks if you have reservations (I also realise you have an ongoing copyright deal with Games Workshops, and I recall the limitations of a project we discuused previously)

I think I may have Jon's e-mail address somewhere. I may have passed this on to you back in 2010. If not, you can hit the PM button and send him a Private Message if his e-mail address still picks up his messages.

You stumbled on a stagnent thread, but it's great you're here. E-mail me.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 pm 

wow, this project is amazing. it totally skipped under my radar.

i read all the posts hastily, so it is very likely i missed something, but from what i got the CD has not been released yet, due to copyrights dilemmas.

Should it ever be published, i would surely grab my copy :D

cheers

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:45 pm 

In a nutshell, The donkeywork is done (has been for quite some time). Basil owns copyright and is the only person who can give permission to produce the product. Also, the only permission he can grant (from discussions back in 2010) is permission to reproduce Tortured Souls as PDFs in their original form. The Complete Dungeon Masters Series would not be included as Games Workshops have a vested interest in those. No point in making this more complicated than it would need to be.

I would like to explore the possibility of packaging, inserts, unpublished materials, interview, disc art (to this end Jon Baker would be a logical request), etc. But thise things are dependent of Basil's thoughts and how much he'd like to be involved in such things.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:30 pm 

Don't you still have the problem that since the company is now defunct, the copyright of all of the independent articles & art fall back to the original authors/artists?

You still need the permission of all people who contributed to the magazine to use their stuff and also their permission to change the media format from print to electronic.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:52 pm 

Mars wrote:Don't you still have the problem that since the company is now defunct, the copyright of all of the independent articles & art fall back to the original authors/artists?

You still need the permission of all people who contributed to the magazine to use their stuff and also their permission to change the media format from print to electronic.

Not really, because as far as I can find in records, 'Beast Enterprises' did not exist as a registered company. Under UK law they operated as 'an individual trading as', and so the individual retains copyriight over his product. As to individual negotiations with any contributors, those contributors (if there were any) are not named or attributed to any of the materials in the product. Unlike sat White Dwarf, Tortured Souls! did not publish Expedition to XYZ by John Smith. Copyright appears to reside with Simon Forrest and Basil Barratt. That's my take on it. I see no obstacle to publishing an Archive DVD so long as the original magazine is retained and not altered.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:14 pm 

Great news! I was going to bump this today as well, as I'd dug out my full TS! collection acquired last year and wondered if this was still on going as I'd love to have the collection on my iPad too for casual reading and safe back up :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:09 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:those contributors (if there were any) are not named or attributed to any of the materials in the product.

If individuals contributed items to Beast Enterprises and they didn't really exist as a "registered company" then that would suggest to me that anyone claiming to be Beast Enterprises now or affiliated with that organization would have absolutely no rights to authorize any republication of the material or to change its form.

Also, you are wrong, many of the other contributors are named in the magazines.  I have issue #12 handy and it states:

Credits:  Jon Baker, Floorplans: Brendan Hickling, Cover Colour: Jack, Maps: Psi, Scenario Art: Jon Baker, Tim Jeffs, Paul Ward.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:55 pm 

Wouldn't it also depend on the contractual terms at the time?  If the submissions were work for hire or something like that?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:20 pm 

Let's see, what's the worst case scenario here?  :scratch:

Ian sells some people a DVD archive they really want.  Ian has interpreted the law wrong.  The police come and arrest him.  Ian goes to jail for a long time.  Ian never makes any more smart remarks about America on these forums.  Ian's RPG collection is sold on eBay by his greedy relatives.  I mean, really, what is the problem?   Ian, sell the Archive DVD's!  :wink:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

PreviousNext