Ian's Tortured Souls collection
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:22 am 

hi all. Stumbled across this thread via a google search as I was THAT BORED this afternoon. Have joined the forum so I can post.

I was very involved in the production of Tortured Souls back in the early 1980s (a lifetime ago), and was amazed to find anyone remebers it. More amazed still to find my artwork about to be used on the cover of a DVD-rom or whatever it is of pdfs.

I did a lot of illustration for the magazine, and also the box-sets etc that Basil produced. And also for Imagine Magazine (and some White Dwarf stuff). I was only a school kid at the time, and I am hideously embarrassed about most of the art I turned out back then. It's really, really poor! But hey... I was only 16 or something.

I was very pissed off with Basil Barrett who ended up doing a runner when Beast Ents folded, owing me payment on a lot of my work (which as a kid meant a lot to me) and worse still running off with quite a lot of my original art - and I didn't have copies.

If you have any questions... feel free to e-mail me. I continued RPGing well into my 30s, but it's been 10 yrs now that I haven't. Miss it. Happy times. Sigh.

:)
JON BAKER

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am 

saturninebear wrote:hi all. Stumbled across this thread via a google search as I was THAT BORED this afternoon. Have joined the forum so I can post.

Heh, heh... boredom can be useful? You're not the first to have hooked a thread here for work done back-in-the-day under such circumstances. :)

Welcome over, Jon. Thanks for posting; and for your contribs back then, "hideously embarrassing" or otherwise. ;)

Regards,
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:34 am 

Hi Jon,

Welcome to Acaeum.
As per our e-mails, this is my online name. Great to hear from you, and I'll keep everyone appraised as and when things progress.

Ian

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 am 

Brief Update

I'm now it touch with both Basil and Jon. I'm expecting Basil to come back to me some time in the next couple of weeks, and we'll see whether we can work out a way forward from there.

All being well, I'm looking at the possibility of commissioning Jon (the man who provides that very distinctive look to the majority of the interior artwork of Tortured Souls!) to provide the cover art for the Box, and an art piece that will be etched onto the disc. This is going to be professionally done by the UK's largest CD printworks (the one the music industry uses), and is likely to be a one off limited edition release product.

I'll keep the board informed as and when I have more to report.
And thanks again to Malc, for pulling strings, and Jon for doing his Google search.

Was it Google, Yahoo or Bing, Jon?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:33 pm 

This sounds great, Ian!  Please keep us posted :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:52 pm 

Awesome work, Ian.

And welcome to saturninebear.

I know from experience that finding some of your old work posted online or discussed online can be like turning a corner and meeting a ghost.

You'd be surprised how the old artwork is still beloved.  Sometimes, arwork that was "bad" was actually good because it was filled with the flavor and the enthusiasm typical of the old days.  I'd take an enthusiastic amateur's best effort over some of the professional work we see nowadays.

PS:  If Badmike posts a sticky note on your old work, just don't read it.  :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:11 pm 

Saturninebear had a problem posting a response, so here it is....

saturninebear wrote:seriously... and I mean SERIOUSLY.... 90% of the work I did for Tortured Souls makes me cringe to look at. I wish I could destroy it. But there are some that are ok. A very few. I was a big fan of Jeff Dee's work for the TSR stuff, and perhaps I tried too hard to emulate some of his style. His Melnibonean Mythos in the original Deities & Demigods was awesome.
To be fair to the younger me, I was only a kid, being asked the most ridiculous task often for no pay. Basil would ring me up, often on a school night at 8pm and say...  "we need 9 pictures by tomorrow morning. Here are the dimensions." And often the details of what I was working with were so "thin" - which shows in the art. I was told "elven woman" or "dwarf ghost"... without access to the text (it was always in such a rush), so I couldn't add any detail.
I often worked right through the night, with Rotring pens at the kitchen table, getting a dawn bus into Oxford to deliver my art to Basil before heading back (late) to school.
I'd like to see this project still... as there are issues of TS etc that I have lost or mislaid, and though nostalgia can be painful, it can also be fun.

Seems the unicode doesn't like words with the letters 'url' in them.
Still, all sorted now.

And a link to an unfinished piece from yesteryear...
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/saturninebear/knightcrop.jpg

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:47 am 

wow, great step forward Ian, hope this comes to pass! :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:08 am 

With the recent talk of TS! mags, is this still an option?  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:15 pm 

PM me if one of these sets is still around.

Thanks very much

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:02 pm 

ian, how is this project coming along?

i havent been keeping tabs on this thread but its great to see the artist pop up from the old days - nice one!!

all i can say, even if you think its bad - its waaaaaaaay better than anything i could come up with and hey, at least you got published - far more than most ever do!!

and welcome to the site Jon....great to hear from you.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:50 am 

The product at my end is assembled.
A decent front end needs to be authored.
Disk manufacture is seleced.
Cover Art, Disk Art, and layouts are to be done.
The original artist has been contacted re. new artwork for the project in keeping with the original. Predominantly for the disk which will be printed.

Basil has been hard to keep in touch with, and ATM we have no go ahead permission from him. The project will be focussed solely on TS!1 through TS! 12 and the Zhalindor Map and Golden Spire. CDM Series has too many copyright overlap with rights held by Games Workshop.

Don't think we'll see this in 2011.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:13 am 

Is it ok to go though? I'd be very keen on the TS! and maps, regardless of the finished product with regards new artwork etc.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:46 am 

ashmire13 wrote:Is it ok to go though? I'd be very keen on the TS! and maps, regardless of the finished product with regards new artwork etc.

The PDF's are spot on. Very smooth. ANd the Zhalindor Map is a high-res colour scan. However, copyright is owned by Basil Barrett and possibly Simon Forrest also, and I need at least Basil's permission to take a product of any sort to production. We all know as soon as a product is published, particularly a PDF Archive, it'll be on Torrent within a day or so. So the saleability and continued sales are a product of the added value artists and product polish  bring to the party.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 am 

Thats fair enough. :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:27 am 

Great news! :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 am 

Hi Guys - guess who?  :D

Only just registered with the site, so no real idea what it's about or how the forums work.

No idea what stage you're at with this project as I've only seen part of the thread, but can whoever is organising it please put a hold on it for the moment and contact me to let me know where it's got to and what you've got in mind!

Ta

And Jon, great to hear you're still around and sorry for losing touch... If somebody can let me know how we can forward each other personal contacts ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:24 pm 

Hi Basil.
E-mail sent to you. I'd lost yours, but mine is still active.
Welcome to the forum. Your work is enjoyed and collected by many here.

As regards the project, it went on ice about 18 months ago after my e-mails with you dried up. I would like to see this through, but obviously I'm not gonna go ahead without permission and am happy to let it flounder on the rocks if you have reservations (I also realise you have an ongoing copyright deal with Games Workshops, and I recall the limitations of a project we discuused previously)

I think I may have Jon's e-mail address somewhere. I may have passed this on to you back in 2010. If not, you can hit the PM button and send him a Private Message if his e-mail address still picks up his messages.

You stumbled on a stagnent thread, but it's great you're here. E-mail me.  :D

PreviousNext