Ian's Tortured Souls collection
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:32 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

well, someone is using it now. Odd coincidence.

Its on the Companies House Database:

BEAST ENTERPRISES LIMITED

110 MOSELLE AVENUE...

Heh, heh; good spot but not enough front yard to swing a cougar. (Albeit would probably get arrested for that in public...).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:57 am 

I heard about this a few months back. A film producer is setting up a company called Beast Enterprises Limited. Unrelated. The guy is Shaun Nickolas, I think. Worked on the Terry Prachett film.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:15 pm 

Hi,

plus there are 5 "B Barrett"s listed in Oxford/Oxfordshire.

Dunno if they are Basils tho :)

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:49 am 

Hi,

plus Hogshead would have some info as they did:

Fire and blood
Author: Simon Forrest; Basil Barrett; Brad Freeman; Graeme Davis; Nigel Stillman  
Publisher: London : Hogshead, [2000?]

You could ask James - he might know something useful.

Cheers,
Malc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:23 am 

Thanks.

James who? Do you have a phone number or e-mail address?
I e-mailed GD and NS to see if they had any info. GD sid he hadn't worked with BB, only SF back in the 90's when they published the GW versions of same, so Hogshead may well have just been reprinting Games Workshop's 'scripts.

I did write to the B Barretts listed in Oxfordshire and Birmingham back in 2005/6 working off of the 2002 electoral register with result. That doesn't mean one of them isn't who I'm looking for, just that they chose not to reply.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:49 am 

Hiya,

james Wallis, former head honcho at Hogshead. I knew him slightly - always seemed quite approachable.

http://www.magnumopuspress.com/?page_id=14

I'm sure that pic isnt him tho - he used to be REALLY skinny, and its only been a couple of years since he last turned up at a Dragonmeet :)

Cheers,
Malc

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:55 am 

Hi Ian,

i also shot an email to someone I know in the UK RPG Publishing industry, he got back to me this morning, with possibly not what you want to hear:

Hi,

I'll put some feelers out to see if we can locate Simon and Basil. Even if we do locate them it might not be as easy as getting permission to reprint the mags on a CD-ROM. It all depends on who owns the copyright for the actual articles.

For a lot of magazines the original writers maintained copyright of the article and the magazine had 'first printing' rights to them. So Simon and Basil may not be able to grant permission to soemone else to reproduce the works.

WotC feel foul of this a number of years ago when they published the 250 Issues of Dragon on CD-ROM (and that's the reason why Kenzer got to be able to publish Hackmaster using the D&D 1st Ed rules and had the D&D Logo stamped on their Kingdoms of Kalamar setting - the only third party company allowed to use the official D&D logo - as they settled out of court with WotC on the matter of WotC reprinting the KoDT Dragon strips without permission).

If your friend went ahead and did it without permission they could find themselves taken to court by either the various authors or the magazine owners for reproducing the material without permission.

None of it will currently be in the public domain as not enough time has passed between original publication and, I suspect in most if not all cases, the authors are still alive and ertainly won't have been dead for the required 75 years.

I'd certainly urge him not to produce it unless he wants to make a single copy for personal use. Legally he would be in the wrong beyond a single personal use copy. Even more so if he is distributing and charging money for it.

I'll see if I can unearth anything for you though.

I'll let you know if he comes back with any more info tho.

Cheers,
malc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:26 am 

Thanks Malc.
His take on UK copyright law is spot on.
Unfortunately TS! never listed or attributed authors to their articles, so tracing those would be a nightmare. If he manages to come up with a lead for either Simon or Basil, I would be most interested in making contact.
Thanks for putting out feelers.
Ian

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:11 am 

lawrenson wrote:For a lot of magazines the original writers maintained copyright of the article and the magazine had 'first printing' rights to them.

That's pretty much universal and, yes, complicates matters accordingly. I can think of a few exceptions but not many for the older 'zines.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:05 am 

We have a new, and very promising lead, thanks to the sterling work of Malc and his contacts. Thank-you once again, Malc.
I will keep the thread updated as and when I have news.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:05 am 

Excellent news, sounds promising!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:23 am 

Hi,

no problem - if you get it going just send me a freebie :)

Cheers,
Malc

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:22 am 

hi all. Stumbled across this thread via a google search as I was THAT BORED this afternoon. Have joined the forum so I can post.

I was very involved in the production of Tortured Souls back in the early 1980s (a lifetime ago), and was amazed to find anyone remebers it. More amazed still to find my artwork about to be used on the cover of a DVD-rom or whatever it is of pdfs.

I did a lot of illustration for the magazine, and also the box-sets etc that Basil produced. And also for Imagine Magazine (and some White Dwarf stuff). I was only a school kid at the time, and I am hideously embarrassed about most of the art I turned out back then. It's really, really poor! But hey... I was only 16 or something.

I was very pissed off with Basil Barrett who ended up doing a runner when Beast Ents folded, owing me payment on a lot of my work (which as a kid meant a lot to me) and worse still running off with quite a lot of my original art - and I didn't have copies.

If you have any questions... feel free to e-mail me. I continued RPGing well into my 30s, but it's been 10 yrs now that I haven't. Miss it. Happy times. Sigh.

:)
JON BAKER

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am 

saturninebear wrote:hi all. Stumbled across this thread via a google search as I was THAT BORED this afternoon. Have joined the forum so I can post.

Heh, heh... boredom can be useful? You're not the first to have hooked a thread here for work done back-in-the-day under such circumstances. :)

Welcome over, Jon. Thanks for posting; and for your contribs back then, "hideously embarrassing" or otherwise. ;)

Regards,
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:34 am 

Hi Jon,

Welcome to Acaeum.
As per our e-mails, this is my online name. Great to hear from you, and I'll keep everyone appraised as and when things progress.

Ian

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 am 

Brief Update

I'm now it touch with both Basil and Jon. I'm expecting Basil to come back to me some time in the next couple of weeks, and we'll see whether we can work out a way forward from there.

All being well, I'm looking at the possibility of commissioning Jon (the man who provides that very distinctive look to the majority of the interior artwork of Tortured Souls!) to provide the cover art for the Box, and an art piece that will be etched onto the disc. This is going to be professionally done by the UK's largest CD printworks (the one the music industry uses), and is likely to be a one off limited edition release product.

I'll keep the board informed as and when I have more to report.
And thanks again to Malc, for pulling strings, and Jon for doing his Google search.

Was it Google, Yahoo or Bing, Jon?

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:33 pm 

This sounds great, Ian!  Please keep us posted :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:52 pm 

Awesome work, Ian.

And welcome to saturninebear.

I know from experience that finding some of your old work posted online or discussed online can be like turning a corner and meeting a ghost.

You'd be surprised how the old artwork is still beloved.  Sometimes, arwork that was "bad" was actually good because it was filled with the flavor and the enthusiasm typical of the old days.  I'd take an enthusiastic amateur's best effort over some of the professional work we see nowadays.

PS:  If Badmike posts a sticky note on your old work, just don't read it.  :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext