Ian's Tortured Souls collection
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:57 pm 

Sardan wrote in Ian's Tortured Souls collection:Was there an electronic version of Starstone?  I have a copy but would like a PDF!

No, but discussions with the author have long been ongoing. Paul is in possession of a variety of PDFs, one with OCR, but the quality is similar to that of the commercially available Judges Guild scanned PDFs. The quality of Starstone's paper stock is such that ghosting from one site diminishes the purity of the page on the other, particularly where illustrations and maps are concerned. What is really needed is a reprint using the OCR text and illustrations and some expertise to assemble the new product in a modern DTP package. I have offered to convert the OCR text into Word and proofread it, but short of proceeding anyways (which I will not do in light of Paul's ongoing willingness to discuss, and there being a possible publisher also on board), there is little we can do but wait and hope.

That said, I was stiffed of a chance to buy a SW copy at a reasonable price after I handed over the PDFs.  :(

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:17 pm 

I'd love to see a PDF of Tradervale.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:19 pm 

A nice TS retrospective blog post @ https://thegrognardfiles.com/2019/04/28 ... scrapbook/ reminded me of this project.

Any further updates Ian?

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm 

One final item was closed out thanks to a heads up from a fellow member.
So I also have both the Tortured Souls fanzines that predated TS! magazine.
I'll need to check to see which of the CDM boxed sets I had scanned prior to my entire collection being sold. I suspect I have 1, 2, 3 and the the manuscript for 5 scanned, but not Feathered Preists, so it's a hole in the collection.
I also touched base briefly with the artist (one of) that created such a distinctive look, and we explored to possibility of him maybe contributing cover art, etc. So I'd need to sift through years of archived e-mails to track that down.

Publishing has legal dangers. John Barrett is aware and I believe still on the scene occasionally, and I don't like to harm others IP, although the statute of limitations must be fast approaching, and a non-profit venture may not draw too much hostility, however, Games Workshop do have a historic interest in the CDM series, and I'm no copyright lawyer. I do see the desire for historic works of past generations to be preserved for future generations, and preservation cannot be relied upon, or accessed, in a world (in the UK certainly) with no games stores, no libraries, and access for all to the internet.

So digital images (PDFs) seem like to most reasonable archival format.

Much like the Moldvay bookends, and Starstone reprint, things drift very slowly and I do my best to ensure I have more than one digital archive of what I assembled.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm 

I might be able to get you a quality scan of Feathered Priests

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 pm 

I know I have TS1, pretty sure I have 2 and 4 as well. Do you have those?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 pm 

I have TS1 and 2 the fanzine, TS!1 to TS!12 the magazine and Golden Spire, and I had CDM 1 to 4 and the unpublished manuscript for CDM5. So at one point I had as complete a collection as I could imagine getting and remaining with D&D as my base RPG. There is a flyer I think that David has that I don't have a digital copy of.

The only question in my mind right now is whether I actually scanned Halls, and Feathered Priests before I called it a day and went to play in the desert. I know I did Kazan Khan and Watchers.

TS! The magazine really is well worth collecting a set of, There's only 12 issues and it's often possible to pick them up at $10-15 a pop. The only think you need to look out for is making sure you have your coloured inserts. Often times people are missing the centre pages and don't realise when they sell, so just be wary when buying on eBay.

On a side note, I do have a complete set of Le Dernier Cercle adventures, which are almost identical in quality, presentation and artistic styling, so English translations of those may be on the cards as a future.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:42 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Ian's Tortured Souls collection:There is a flyer I think that David has that I don't have a digital copy of.

I think I had a flyer at one point. Don't know if that's what you're thinking of or if I sent you a pic.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 am 

TS! 12 seems rather scarce. I've been watching out for one for a couple of years now.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:58 pm 

I found 9, 10 and 12 to be far rarer than the others, in that order, with 12 being the rarest. For some reason 11 seemed to crop up quite often when I was connection a few years back. Over the past year or so 9 seems to have cropped up more regularly, but the whole range seems to turning up less often these days.

On a similar note (similar publication) GM1 Flight of Eagles seemed to be stupidly hard to come by, with GM2 coming in a close second. That set is also well worth getting a hold off, and there's only 5.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:45 am 

Oh man, I am bringing up some really old stuff.

Wondering if there is any movement on this in the past couple years?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:18 pm 

Basil Barrett dropped off the radar.

IP is owned by Basil Barrett and Simon Forrest. Some form of overlap (commercial interest) therefor exists (or is believed to exist) between the TS! IP and what was licensed (sold?) to Games Workshop for the Domestones Campaign Book Series. Beast Entz. (read Basil and Simon) developed the Zhalindor Campaign World and published it as the uniting thread running through Tortured Souls!. Then they linked up with Integrated Games to expand in into boxed sets, which subsequently were picked up by GW and rewritten for WRPG.

So I offered to provide Basil with PDFs and do all the running/managing to bring a CD archive to print. I was in touch with the TS! iconic artist who did all those wonderful pics, and he was happy to allow the PDFs to go ahead and to do something new for the cover. He was very enthusiastic. Sadly Basil was not interested, Simon was not traceable (by me anyways) and Allen Hickling (CDM Series) had retired to his fish or model train shop (I forget which.)

To my mind this is as dead end as far as getting a digital product out to fans goes.

Feasibly one could release PDFs of the original TS! magazines on the basis that they are magazines and have surpassed their 25 year copyright period. But one would no doubt rapidly received a cease and desist letter from Basil Barrett or Games Workshop or both, and it would not be wise to ignore such a letter.

All that said, Google seems to be rather good at finding pretty low quality PDFs, not in any way produced by myself, out there on the internet, so a product would only really bring a certain polish, artwork, and anything else in the way of backstory, clarity and reminiscences to the collecting community. A decade ago I very much wanted to be a part of that. I probably still would be, but without the interest of those who created it, I'll leave the grey area of PDF propagation to others.

Which reminds me, Larry Leeds dropped me an e-mail. Must go and find that.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:08 pm 

Finally after buying multiple versions of TS7 to get a complete NM version I have finished collecting 1-12. Love them and happy/sad that the hunt is over, they really are a very good read.

Previous