Ian's Tortured Souls collection
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:37 am 

This viewtopic.php?t=7579 sounds very promising, Ian.  

Have you had any luck in trying to republish Beholder or the Claymore Games materials too?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:40 am 

If there is a DVD of it compiled, I'm going to be pissed.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:30 pm 

There is a complete set of TS! in PDF form with OCR and I believe searchable. CDM 1-4 have not yet been scanned as copyright of CDM is a little more complicated and currenty resides with a number of individuals. Discussions are underway with significant parties to bring a product to market. Whether that product contains CDM and therefore the complete Zhalindor Campaign materials, or whether that product is simply a TS! Archive is yet to be seen.

As regards Beholder, I do not have access the a set, and the author has dropped off the radar and can't be found. As regards Claymore Games, try as I might I have not been able to complete any more of their products, and only really have 'scraps' to work with. The other product we were considereing, if you recall, was seeking Tadashi's permission to bring a Different Worlds Archive to market. Any word on that front, Allan?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:36 pm 

Just being bored, messing around on Google, and I've found two entries for Claymore Games that I didn't find two or three years ago when I went hunting....

http://www.touchpreston.com/business/list/bid/3765209. Now that seems promising. A toy shop. Could be our guys.

http://www.claymoregames.co.uk/. Also interseting because it's in Glasgow, and people in games tend to stay in games but move with the times. But the guys who worked in the stores in the late 80's/early 90's were already pushing it a bit if they were gonna make a change to learn software design. IIRC they were in their 30's.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:50 pm 

Hi,

they were:
http://www.claymore-games.com/ekmps/sho ... celled.asp
and
http://www.claymore-games.co.uk/

but theyre dead links now.

The shop opened in Southport in May 2005.

Cheers,
malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:09 pm 

I emailed a few of the Claymore related places a couple years ago.  I remember this one:

But none of the places I tried were related to the creators of the RPG material.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:14 pm 

lawrenson wrote:but theyre dead links now.

Not too much stored on the Internet Archive for those links either.  The only thing worthwhile that I could find are these two pics of minis (painted pretty nicely I might add):

http://web.archive.org/web/20070111083239/http://www.claymore-games.co.uk/painting/images/items/Necrarch+on+Zombie+Dragon+front.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/20070111083210/http://www.claymore-games.co.uk/painting/images/items/Ork+Warboss+front.jpg

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:19 pm 

Mars wrote:I emailed a few of the Claymore related places a couple years ago.  I remember this one:

But none of the places I tried were related to the creators of the RPG material.

I'll ask around at the Claymore (the Edinburgh Games convention, not related) this year and see if I can find anyone who remembers the owners names. I did bump into one of the guys who worked there about four years back and got some stuff from him, but I don't remember his name either. I suspect one or two of them are still members of the SESWC. It's the most established club in Scotland and is mostly wargames, and that was primarily what the shops sold.

Just looking at the list of Claymore 2009 traders, and I see Gateshead Games, purveyors of the dubious Ares Archive CDs. Second Chance games are always worth a look for the odd hidden gem, and there's always a charity 2nd hand bring and buy affair, but nothing terribly interesting in it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:21 am 

. wrote:There is a complete set of TS! in PDF form with OCR and I believe searchable.

Hi Ian, is this available publicly for sale yet? I'd be really interested if it is...   :)

Cheers
Dave

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:54 am 

I am awaiting a reply from a couple of people I have e-mailed with a view to tracking down Basil Barrett. Beast Enterprises Limited has never been registered as a company. Their publications have no record or ownership or named authors with the UK Copyright Licensing Agency. My last leads lead to Basil Barrett, and if all else faild I need to weigh up the pros and cons of publishing without concent. The only good news is that if something were published, it would be a professionally printed CD from the UK's largest multimedia firm.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:06 am 

. wrote:I am awaiting a reply from a couple of people I have e-mailed with a view to tracking down Basil Barrett. Beast Enterprises Limited has never been registered as a company. Their publications have no record or ownership or named authors with the UK Copyright Licensing Agency. My last leads lead to Basil Barrett, and if all else faild I need to weigh up the pros and cons of publishing without concent. The only good news is that if something were published, it would be a professionally printed CD from the UK's largest multimedia firm.

If you tracked Basil Barrett, I'd like to interview him :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:42 am 

I'm getting stonewalled at every turn. Very reclusive. No online presence what-so-ever. If it weren't for the existence of a fanzine many years prior, I'd swear Simon Forrest and Basil Barrett were pen names. I've even been going through UK obituaries.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:04 pm 

Go on, publish and be damned.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:49 am 

nn wrote:Go on, publish and be damned.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Have you tried Facebook???   :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:58 am 

Yep. Last leads are a guy Simon Forrest co-authered with back in the early 90's and a guy who interviewed Basil Barrett at the turn of the millenium, at which point BB says he hadn't heard from SF in over a decade. Seems SF disappeared into obscurity around 1992, and BB has been out of the RPG market and the internet since the turn of the century. Curiously, in the fanzine there is a solo dungeon penned by John Barrett (presumably also related) and the typing is by Lynne Forrest which may well be SF's wife (if I understand the BB interview correctly). Now trying to find leads through Lynne Forrest.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 pm 

Keep us posted Ian:  those maps (and presumably the contents, if they're anywhere close to being as cool as the maps) would be great to see brought back into print!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:20 pm 

I would certainly be interested in seeing TS in PDF

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:34 pm 

Orlandojones wrote:I would certainly be interested in seeing TS in PDF

Seeing, or paying for?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Next