Notable Collectors items
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:36 pm 

Noble Knight's is just a bit over cover price

This thread must have started a mad rush on Necromancer's Judges Guild items at Noble Knight.  :lol:    I see that they now want $65 for CSIO.  (List was around $35, I think.)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:43 pm 

Nice Hantlers wrote:
This thread must have started a mad rush on Necromancer's Judges Guild items at Noble Knight.  :lol:    I see that they now want $65 for CSIO.  (List was around $35, I think.)

Its the Acaeum effect.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:26 pm 

Afraid of the Dark wrote:Here's something else that may count:

Paizo has a limited-edition alternate cover available for a Pathfinder module:
http://paizo.com/store/paizoExclusives/v5748btpy8451

They may well have done this for other Pathfinders. I don't normally pay attention to that stuff...

They did this for #1 and #13 (both for the summer conventions - mainly GenCon)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:35 pm 

Plaag wrote:
They did this for #1 and #13 (both for the summer conventions - mainly GenCon)

ShaneG.

Goodman did an alternate cover for DCC#27 (I think that's the one). But I am much happier seeing alternate covers stay with the comic book trade and not gaming.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:58 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Goodman did an alternate cover for DCC#27 (I think that's the one). But I am much happier seeing alternate covers stay with the comic book trade and not gaming.

But what if the alternate covers specifically targeted folks that wanted something ... more ... from the normal covers?

What if Goodman offered a limited run of old-school alternate covers for their 4e DCC line? Retail outlets get their new covers that clearly show off that it's a 4e module, but old school collectors get the retro feel that they crave.

Apologies for derailing,

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:46 am 

Afraid of the Dark wrote:But what if the alternate covers specifically targeted folks that wanted something ... more ... from the normal covers?

What if Goodman offered a limited run of old-school alternate covers for their 4e DCC line? Retail outlets get their new covers that clearly show off that it's a 4e module, but old school collectors get the retro feel that they crave.

Apologies for derailing,

That is a big fight with Goodman at the moment, but it is more than just the covers with their new line, it is also the setup and style of their interior artwork as well. 4e takes up a lot of space with their stat blocks. According to Goodman what would be a 32 page adventure in 3e is a 40 page adventure in 4e because of stat blocks.

For example take a look at DCC #27 the cover style duplicates a 1e module with an homage to the 1e AD&D players handbook. Inside the cover is a classic blue white map (ruined only by them stapling the cover to the booklet inside.  The first page art and text matches the 1e design, the following page as well, with the familiar style encounter table, and this is kept to a classic 1e style through-out ending with illustrated players handouts. The entire module is 1e.

According to the Goodman interview on Paizo they are looking for a new crowd (12-14 year olds) with the switch to 4e and have altered the art and style of their modules to appeal to a more video game oriented crowd as well as Goodman's more 2e nostalgic rememberances at the same time trying to capitalize on the Dungeon Crawl Classics name.

While I would be drawn (and be much more inclined to try their 4e selections with 1e style covers) I'd also be expecting the entire module to be done on 1e lines. A good adventure as well, yes, but it is the DM that makes or breaks a module, not just the story and the best thing a game company can do for a DM is to provide a support structure, especially illustrations, handouts and maps, for them to work with.

I do need to try 4e or 5e when that comes out as a boardgame. From everything I have heard and read 4e is a miniatures game with a veneer of roleplaying. According to Goodman a step back to its Chainmail roots, but with a lot more rules.

I'm not sure how collectable the new line will be. The first few adventures will probably have a big print run. Sounds like DCC#52, the last of the Classic covers (The DCC line really needs a new name) had a small print run. A second printing is said to be on its way, though I don't know if there will be anything to tell it from a first. If Goodman comes out with some more monster-sized adventures those might be collectable, especially if 4e splits the fantasy RPG market and Paizo and others continue to support 3e. Smaller print runs of both till the market grows or one edition becomes dominent.

I just don't see pen and paper RPGs or even rules heavy miniatures boardgames interesting kids the way that an x-box or playstation or online interactive game can. I expect RPGs and their less Role-Playing inclined 4th generation progeny to remain a reasonably popular niche, but not even remotely approaching the popularity of the video game industry.

I think that will mean quite a good number of modern collectable items arising as game companies produce short print runs, convention specials, small lines of products before being pushed out of business for one reason or another.

Paizo's new line may be a good future collectable, but the print runs may be too large and reprints to available for their products to be the real gems. WOTC products while the most popular are also the most available.

For modern collectors items I'm thinking High Quality or odd-ball items. Some of the Necromancer releases are pretty nice, but also seem to be low print runs.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:40 am 

serleran wrote:Cleaver the Pit v1.0 is rare -- only 100 of them.

So many thanks to Al who gave me a copy in addition to JG books I bought from him :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:10 pm 

Badmike wrote:Necromancer games limited edition stuff.  Most of the Necromancer stuff is pretty damn good.  I would look at Rappan Athuk Reloaded (of course), only 1000 copies, as well as the Wilderlands stuff, and any Judge's Guild Redos.

Rappan Athuk Reloaded for double the cover price at $154.05:

. . .  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:36 am 

...so some time has passed. Which d20 products have really risen in value? Are there any new pearls?

How is Rappan Athuk Reloaded's value now? What about the Wilderlands of High Fantasy box?

Is the 3.5 PHB now really collectible?

What about Ptolus? It is limited edition and the production value and content are top notch afaik.

The 3.5 Tarokka deck is imho a true Ravenloft collectible, and perhaps also Rvaenloft Gazetteer 5.

I've recently been skimming the Freaking Awesome 3rd Party Books That Don't Get Enough Praise thread on ENWorld, which has lots of great d20 products.

Do any of you guys have the Redhurst book? It really looks like a hidden gem. In short it's a Magical Academy d20 setting a bit similar to Harry Potter. Apparently it has a very high production value, great content, and it is available for very cheap on ebay. I just ordered one for me. I don't know how high the print run was, though

Last edited by frankfromgermany on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:43 am 

My last RAR sold for $220 BIN.
Ptolus seems to go for between $150 and $250.
Wilderlands of High Fantasy goes for about $70-80

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 am 

I've been watching RAR, Ptolus and Wilderlands on ebay.  Ptolus seems to go at the lower half of that range.

I'm wondering if i should pick up an shrinkwrapped RAR from my FLGS for 75 Euros.  The dollar exchange rate and postage costs kill me on sales and i'm not sure how high the demand is in Germany.

OTOH the exchange rate is great for buying. (At least psychologically, I'm paying mostly from my dollar paypal account -- my personal fun budget.)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:13 am 

8O  If I could buy a RAR in shrink for 75 Euros, I wouldn't even have stopped to think about it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:24 am 

Well i guess i should pick it up then, huh?  

What about Wilderlands? That one will be hard for me to not open.  How low was the print run?  Will it have value even unshrinked ?

What about NG's Caverns of Thracia, City State of the Invincible Overlord ?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:20 am 

If I could get Necromancer's CSIO and Wilderlands at/or within 25% of retail price, I'd buy them. Above that I'd be looking for absolute mint condition on the book/box. Both are worth having because they are damned fine pieces of work, but I'm happy to settle for the PDF for my own personal use. Only time will tell how Thracia does/

Just my 2c.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:49 am 

Thanks for the answer mbassoc.

So any new gems out there? Anyone want to comment on Redhurst or the other bboks from the "Freaking Awesome" thread?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:07 pm 

The last big new gem out there was TLG's Castle Zagyg Upper Works (for obvious reasons). Probably the best little gem to hit the market in the last five years. On the back of that, the East Marks Gazetteer and Dark Chateau should do fairly well.

From Necromancer, there's Rappan Athuk III, for those who cannot get ahold of RAR, and there's The Tomb of Abysthor which is a dinky little hidden gem that's already very pricey in some places. City of Brass boxed sets may well rise, but maybe not astoundingly.

From Goodman Games, there's the usual suspects; the GenCon specials and the 3.5E boxed sets, all holding their own or rising in price except for DCC#51 Castle Whiterock, which is probably stalling due to a flood of them on the market (so DCC#51 is really a long punt).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:On the back of that, the East Marks Gazetteer and Dark Chateau should do fairly well.

We'll have to see about these ones.  East Mark is still easy to find.  Dark Chateau is a bit harder but still not very difficult.  It will still be a while before various sources dry up and we'll see if there is much demand for these or not.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:19 pm 

Mars wrote:
We'll have to see about these ones.  East Mark is still easy to find.  Dark Chateau is a bit harder but still not very difficult.  It will still be a while before various sources dry up and we'll see if there is much demand for these or not.

I ran across some old listings for CZ Castle Ruins and Beneath the Ruins.  Were those worthwhile at all?

PreviousNext