Notable Collectors items
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 pm 

Is there a list of Notable Collectors items (Non-TSR) floating around?

I was looking over the list of DCCs I still need such as 3.5 and thinking about how modern rarities are popping up.

For Goodman Games there are the convention specials and now some of their boxed sets like DCC#35

For Kenzer there are a few of the early Kalamar items and the first 4 Knights of the Dinner Table, but that is actually five comics as issues 1-3 were AEG, but issue four had a limited AEG run with a different cover, before it was reprinted as issue four with Kenzer logo. That AEG issue is the real rarity.

Is there anything from other companies? Rappan Athuk Reloaded has been talked about recently, but are there any other modern rarities out there?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:24 pm 

I honestly don't know whether this counts, but yesterday I found a couple low-run Pied Piper Publishing things that I would have bought physical copies of if they were still available from the PPP site:

Cairn of the Skeleton King
Tower of Blood (first print)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:01 pm 

For the AEG 7th Sea game, the Pirate Nations and Montaigne books are rarer.

I think there is also a lot of small press D20 items that are probably rare but probably most people don't know about them.  Whether they will eventually become collectible is a good question.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:10 pm 

Cleaver the Pit v1.0 is rare -- only 100 of them.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:24 pm 

serleran wrote:Cleaver the Pit v1.0 is rare -- only 100 of them.

This is a miniatures game rather than an RPG though right?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:19 pm 

Its a bit of both.

But, let's see...

Necromancer's Wilderlands stuff is pretty hot stuff. They only made so many of them and are not going to reprint.

There are thousands (well, more like at least hundreds) of small press d20 stuff, especially if you're going into pdfs.

Also, some pretty limited edition Palladium RIFTS materials, too.

Oh, and Shadowrun 4e Limited (only 1000) as well as the 3e Limited (only 1000.)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:36 pm 

serleran wrote:Its a bit of both.

But, let's see...

Necromancer's Wilderlands stuff is pretty hot stuff. They only made so many of them and are not going to reprint.

There are thousands (well, more like at least hundreds) of small press d20 stuff, especially if you're going into pdfs.

Also, some pretty limited edition Palladium RIFTS materials, too.

Oh, and Shadowrun 4e Limited (only 1000) as well as the 3e Limited (only 1000.)

How would pdfs be collectable?

Do you mean the Necromancer Judges Guild stuff?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:51 pm 

Anything is collectible. There were some that were very limited (ie, one-three day only) pdfs and so forth or are also protected somehow (watermark, DRM, whatever) and blah blah... not saying I find them that collectible, but they do seem to sell pretty well.

And yes, I meant the Judges Guild material released by Necromancer Games.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:39 pm 

serleran wrote:Anything is collectible. There were some that were very limited (ie, one-three day only) pdfs and so forth or are also protected somehow (watermark, DRM, whatever) and blah blah... not saying I find them that collectible, but they do seem to sell pretty well.

And yes, I meant the Judges Guild material released by Necromancer Games.

I have the Boxed set and the Players Guide. Did they release anything else?

Is it Goodman doing Judges Guild now?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Is there a list of Notable Collectors items (Non-TSR) floating around?

I was looking over the list of DCCs I still need such as 3.5 and thinking about how modern rarities are popping up.

For Goodman Games there are the convention specials and now some of their boxed sets like DCC#35

For Kenzer there are a few of the early Kalamar items and the first 4 Knights of the Dinner Table, but that is actually five comics as issues 1-3 were AEG, but issue four had a limited AEG run with a different cover, before it was reprinted as issue four with Kenzer logo. That AEG issue is the real rarity.

Is there anything from other companies? Rappan Athuk Reloaded has been talked about recently, but are there any other modern rarities out there?

Anyone want to put their speculator's hat on? Ok, I'll go first.  If you are thinking "future D20 or 3E collectible", my suggestions are:

Necromancer games limited edition stuff.  Most of the Necromancer stuff is pretty damn good.  I would look at Rappan Athuk Reloaded (of course), only 1000 copies, as well as the Wilderlands stuff, and any Judge's Guild Redos.

Goodman games have been discussed quite a bit. I believe in several years almost ALL of it will be collectible as a result of the purging of items going on right now.  Think about it, in the mid-90s I was able to STILL order stuff from TSR's Mail Order Hobby Shop that had been printed 10 years earlier. In 10 years, Goodman won't have a SINGLE DCC module in backstock due to the current purge.  It goes without saying the limited edition DCCs.  How about their redos of the JG modules?  Lots of old Schoolers will be looking for these.

Any small press, small print run stuff from the dawn of 3E. Much like generic crap from the dawn of 1E goes for tons, you'll find some completist or another looking for a third party 3E item that came out at the release of the system.

Yeh the PPP stuff will be collectible, as it doesn't appear Rob is able or interested in reprinting any of it.  Include Bottle City with Cairn and Tower of Blood.

Personally, I think all those 3/3.5 RPGA tournament items (the black and white modules that stores got to run tournaments but were never sold) will go up in price as time goes on.  Much like the Adventurer Guild modules published for 2E that went directly to stores, these will be hard to find for completists.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:46 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

Someone got the steal of Gencon...my AEG logo #4 went for $30 I believe in the auction.  I can't remember what the #1 went for, but #2-#6 went for an average of $25 each.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:21 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Someone got the steal of Gencon...my AEG logo #4 went for $30 I believe in the auction.  I can't remember what the #1 went for, but #2-#6 went for an average of $25 each.

Mike B.

The print run on the AEG #4 was really low. Jolly gave the exact number on the Kenzer forums a couple of years ago.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

They also released a hardback version of City State of the Invincible Overlord and a conversion of Caverns of Thracia.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 am 

As noted earlier, hardback City State of the Invincible Overlord and softbound Caverns of Thracia.  Tegel Manor was supposed to have been the last Judges Guild item released by Necromancer, but the current state of the GSL has put this project into limbo for now.

Is it Goodman doing Judges Guild now?

So far the only items released are Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor, Citadel of Fire, and Dark Tower.  Negotiations to do additional Judges Guild releases started shortly before Bob Bledsaw passed away earlier this year, but things appear to have stalled out as of mid June with no further efforts to resurrect the project since then.

More than a tad annoying as I had just finished the first draft of the module I was working on when the whole thing fell apart.  So much for the prequel to Citadel of Fire ...[/i]

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:53 am 

There is also a completed manuscript for the revamped Inferno... but that's not so easy to get.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:00 am 

I'll bet that edition of City State is hard to come by.

I hate to see the Judges Guild material hopping around like that. Definitely items to go on a modern gaming collectables list.

Is there a list of convention specials released each year? Goodman can't be the only company. I know FFG relesed a Battlestar game for gencon (though if it is different in any way from the future general release I haven't heard).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:34 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:I'll bet that edition of City State is hard to come by.

Not particularly.  Several game stores around this part of the country still have these in stock (I have seen some at clearance prices still on the shelf).  Amazon and Noble Knight have it as well (Noble Knight's is just a bit over cover price) and it pops up on Ebay fairly regularly.

It is much harder to find the Wilderlands box set and especially the Player's Guide (although there is one on Ebay right now).

There is also a completed manuscript for the revamped Inferno... but that's not so easy to get.
 I would think that this would be impossible to get (and please do correct me if I am wrong) since IIRC Geoff Dale was in the process of converting it to 3.5 edition when WotC pulled the plug and announced 4th edition?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:58 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:  I would think that this would be impossible to get (and please do correct me if I am wrong) since IIRC Geoff Dale was in the process of converting it to 3.5 edition when WotC pulled the plug and announced 4th edition?

He has the conversion done (to 3.5 that is) it's just that 4e now is out and I'm not sure what direction he wants to take it.  Plus from old information he posted, he didn't have a publisher, so to self publish would be costly.

Don't forget QuickLink/RPG Realms Judges Guild items for 3.0..some of the early 3.x stuff.
Companies that I know don't have any 2nd printings of their material are Necromancer Games, White Wolf Sword & Sorcery Line, Privateer Press, Sovereign Stone, Guardians of Order (Though some of them have books that were 3.0 and now have 3.5 equivalents).

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Next