Get 'em Before They're Pulped!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:44 pm 

Mars wrote:
That is usually the mentality for businesses that turn a profit and are looking for the writeoff.  I wouldn't be surprised that if after paying himself a salary that Hekaforge was close to break even.

Just to note I wasn't blaming Hekaforge for the procedure...you do what you have to do and I agree it's probably a break even proposition.  I just find it hard to believe that if there were ANY money to be made from the product, Hekaforge wouldn't have marked the product down. I've worked for a few businesses going down the tubes and you take money where you find it....not marking it down is a very odd decision if they are not getting a write off of some kind from the pulping.

I worked for a printing company briefly that went out of business....they pulped and recycled finished product at the end rather than sell it cheaply because it benefitted them on the books.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:50 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Was the pulping business announced previously? Saying that they will stop publishing is a far cry from, buy it by monday or it will all get pulped.

It was known since at least Aug 1st that the books would no longer be available.  The word "pulped" wasn't used, but that's probably not that important.  (And anybody that attended LemurChat in the last few months has heard me whining and moaning about the imminent demise of LA.)

However, I have some news.  Some additional items have now been reduced.  As for the rationale for not doing this sooner:

forgemeister wrote:its not that I want to sell them at full price so much as I want to be sure that those who want the books truly get them. The full price books can be a pricey decision for someone to make... so putting them on sale only makes them disappear, not necessarily "get to those that want them most".

This is congruent with what I know of forgie -- he's interested in getting the books into the hands of people that really want to play the game, not people that want to collect/resell the books.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:36 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
This is congruent with what I know of forgie -- he's interested in getting the books into the hands of people that really want to play the game, not people that want to collect/resell the books.

I would counter with the thought that the more books that were out there, regardless of the people that have them or why they have them, is better in the long run for the gaming system.....a pulped book is a book that will never be read by ANYONE, simply put.  I don't see how a 25% off sale is going to open the gates to rampant speculation of LA material....?

I really feel bad for the LA folks now.  Not only is the system dead, with no support, but the rulebooks themselves are going to be impossible to find.  I think in 2-3 years you'll mention Lejendary Adventures and there will be a lot of puzzled looks.... :cry:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:46 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I would counter with the thought that the more books that were out there, regardless of the people that have them or why they have them, is better in the long run for the gaming system.....a pulped book is a book that will never be read by ANYONE, simply put.  I don't see how a 25% off sale is going to open the gates to rampant speculation of LA material....?

I really feel bad for the LA folks now.  Not only is the system dead, with no support, but the rulebooks themselves are going to be impossible to find.  I think in 2-3 years you'll mention Lejendary Adventures and there will be a lot of puzzled looks.... :cry:

Mike B.

Was LA only available from the publisher and not through game stores? Because the person who publishes a game system wholesales the books to retailers at a deep discount. So why the publisher of the books wouldn't want to make these available to the general public at the wholesale price doesn't make sense.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:47 pm 

Badmike wrote:I would counter with the thought that the more books that were out there, regardless of the people that have them or why they have them, is better in the long run for the gaming system.....a pulped book is a book that will never be read by ANYONE, simply put.  I don't see how a 25% off sale is going to open the gates to rampant speculation of LA material....?

My point was merely that he's doing what he thinks is right.  Whether he's correct or not will be a moot point in about 8 hours.  ;)

Bah, there are puzzled looks already, we're used to it.  The irony is that I'm playing the game more now than I was when it was in print and for sale.  :lol:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:55 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Was LA only available from the publisher and not through game stores? Because the person who publishes a game system wholesales the books to retailers at a deep discount. So why the publisher of the books wouldn't want to make these available to the general public at the wholesale price doesn't make sense.

I think he had distributors of some sort, and I have seen dusty copies of these books in stores on occasion.  A lot about this month concerning this particular game doesn't make much sense.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:03 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I think he had distributors of some sort, and I have seen dusty copies of these books in stores on occasion.  A lot about this month concerning this particular game doesn't make much sense.

It shouldn't bother me, but it is a damn shame. I did hear about the game going out of production but never thought for a second that it meant that the back stock would be destroyed. Well, nothing to be done about it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:22 am 

I wish I'd had the money to pick up more stuff, but I am happy to have bought what I did buy. A shame all around.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:26 am 

I'm just wondering why my order hasn't arrived...grrr.  I want my books!

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:30 am 

I ordered mine on Aug 22nd and received them on August 30th.  The postman was staggering through the pouring rain up to my porch carrying three rapidly dampening boxes.  My dogs were giving their usual friendly greeting (they are so friendly UPS leaves packages OUTSIDE my porch).  He dumped them and ran. I was glad I was home, as the box containing the LA stuff was not only soaked on one corner but torn as well.  I carefully opened it and found very well wrapped, dry books.  Kudos to them for the great packaging!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:56 pm 

The adventures that I ordered last week arrived today.  No probalo.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:17 pm 

Here's an auction with a $300 BIN for the set of 3 core books that ICGD had on clearance for $25.  :roll:

There's making a profit, and then there's... this.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:10 pm 

Nice Hantlers wrote:Here's an auction with a $300 BIN for the set of 3 core books that ICGD had on clearance for $25.  :roll:

There's making a profit, and then there's... this.

The BIN is just a BIN . . . the starting bid of $120 and the shipping of $29.99 are where the insanity lies.

Apart from the profiteering, the seller's spelling and grammar are atrocious.  Most of the sentences have errors in one form or another.  Even the auction title is misspelled.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:38 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:The BIN is just a BIN . . . the starting bid of $120 and the shipping of $29.99 are where the insanity lies.

Apart from the profiteering, the seller's spelling and grammar are atrocious.  Most of the sentences have errors in one form or another.  Even the auction title is misspelled.

It is definitely going to get very difficult, very quickly, to find that set in shrinkwrap.  I'd guess a lot less than 50 still exist, if Hekaforge's dumpster run occurred as scheduled.  But that alone doesn't make them valuable.

LA just doesn't have a big enough player/collector base to merit that price yet.  The seller's forgetting the "demand" part of supply and demand. If the game is re-released at some future date, thereby growing the player and collector base, then these will likely increase dramatically in value at that time as people start to seek out the original rules in shrinkwrap, and/or the signed Author's Edition.

Incidentally John, in the set you're selling, although the spine on the first book (The Lejendary Rules for All Players) might read "Premier Edition", it is actually the "Author's Edition" if it is signed and numbered by Gary Gygax.  All "Author's Editions" of that book have this confusing labelling error.  I'd start an LA subweb to identify all the printings, etc, but I doubt there's enough interest.   :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:03 pm 

deimos3428 wrote: Incidentally John, in the set you're selling, although the spine on the first book (The Lejendary Rules for All Players) might read "Premier Edition", it is actually the "Author's Edition" if it is signed and numbered by Gary Gygax.  All "Author's Editions" of that book have this confusing labelling error.  I'd start an LA subweb to identify all the printings, etc, but I doubt there's enough interest.   :lol:

Aha!  I was wondering what was going on with my set.  I looked this weekend after reading John's classified and realized I had this chimera of two Author's editions and one Premier edition.  I could of sworn I had all Author's editions!  When I looked at the first book it was indeed signed and numbered, plus it says "Author's Edition" on the front I believe.  Thanks for clarifying.

Now a couple of question to anyone:

1.  Was the Author's set ever offered shrinkwrapped as the one's being discussed?  I'm assuming the shrinkwraps contain the regular books.

2.  If you bought the Author's set from Hekaforge where they all numbered the same or did they just give you whatever they picked up?  Anyone actually have three books with the same numbers?

3.  Whatever happened to the video game that was under development?  It didn't look like it was going to be anything earth shattering as far as CRPGs go, but you never know.  Plus Baldur's Gate raised the whole AD&D profile back among gamers and was probably a factor in some people getting pack into P&P RPGs.  I think had the game been released it might have similarly raised interest in the actual P&P game.

4.  When people talk about the maps are they talking about the "Chronicles of the Lejendary Gazetteer"?  It says on the Hekaforge site that this was also offered as an Author's Edition, but the run was only 100!  Can anyone confirm this info?

Cheers!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:12 pm 

islestrike wrote:2.  If you bought the Author's set from Hekaforge where they all numbered the same or did they just give you whatever they picked up?  Anyone actually have three books with the same numbers?

The books in my Author's set all have the same number.  And they were not shrinkwrapped.

[Edit:  Apparently having the same numbers makes my set uber-super-dupercalifrajilistically rare!  ;)  ]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:46 am 

My author's books all have different numbers.  Also not in shrink.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 pm 

My Author's set also all have the same numbers, but Chris specifically mentioned that in the deal before I ordered them, years ago.  Most will not be that way, naturally. ;)

For those following the ongoing LA saga, there is some news today.  Mongoose Publishing will be publishing LA.  I don't know very much about them, other than that they sound vaguely familiar.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=418521

YIM  
PreviousNext