Get 'em Before They're Pulped!
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 pm 

http://fuzzyheroes.com/catalog.php

Chris says everything left on Monday is going to hit the recycler... so, if you're interested, now is the time. LA is a beautiful game, worthy of your support.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:51 pm 

The statement was made on Dragonsfoot -- Link (last post of the page), in case you want proof.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:13 pm 

They dont look all that eager to sell to me.

I just calculate shipping for JUST the five adventure modules to the US.
$17.........  UPS ground it said.
Plus the $12.95 or more per module...
I will have to pass.
Let them pulp it all.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 pm 

Aneoth wrote:They dont look all that eager to sell to me.

I will have to pass.
Let them pulp it all.

Ditto.  They need to look at the Goodman sale. :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:42 pm 

I already have the core rules books (from E-Bay)
And one adventure module (also e-Bay).
I got them all for like $35 total, plus 10 bucks shipping.

The core rules books I have are all limited edition first prints and two of them are signed. (Gary Gygax, limited edition)
The other one is supposed to be a signed limited edition too, but the signature is not present.

I was thinking of buying all of the adventures from their site, and perhaps some of the supplemntal materials, but the prices are high (it seems to me) and the adventures can be had as cheap or cheaper on E-Bay when they can be found.

Cheaper shipping too.

Oh well.....

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I already have the core rules books (from E-Bay)
And one adventure module (also e-Bay).
I got them all for like $35 total, plus 10 bucks shipping.

The core rules books I have are all limited edition first prints and two of them are signed. (Gary Gygax, limited edition)
The other one is supposed to be a signed limited edition too, but the signature is not present.

I was thinking of buying all of the adventures from their site, and perhaps some of the supplemntal materials, but the prices are high (it seems to me) and the adventures can be had as cheap or cheaper on E-Bay when they can be found.

Cheaper shipping too.

Oh well.....

I don't know why Hekaforge hasn't lowered prices across the board either, but the fact remains that if you want to purchase the books new from the publisher, this is the final opportunity to do so.  (Noble Knight also has some copies, and they occasionally appear on eBay as well.  A lot of places have inflated prices on these items, particularly the autographed copies, and especially after Gary's passing...)

For collectibility, the signed "author's editions" are a good choice, but I would agree they are pricey.  

For value, you can't beat the $25 USD "dirt cheap" bundle from Hekaforge, which includes all of the core rules, (PHB/DMG/MM sort of deal) in the latest printing.  However, it's worth noting that the bundle is a probably a collectible in itself, if kept intact in shrink.  

For the Learth setting, "Noble Kings and Dark Lands" is an excellent sourcebook.  I'd recommend that one over the rest.

Hekaforge's shipping calculator is a bit whacked, yes.  However, Chris Clark (aka forgemeister) is a reasonable guy.  If you think the shipping is off but really want the books, by all means communicate that to him and see if he won't work with you.

Troll Lord Games is also having a sale on LA stock items, and the prices/shipping are more in line with what you'd expect in a clearance sale.  However, these are also generally easier to find on eBay or in stores, as they are newer.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:58 pm 

Aneoth wrote:They dont look all that eager to sell to me.

I will have to pass.
Let them pulp it all.

Ouch!  Lighten up, Aneoth!

OK, for $102 and some change, I got the modules and the screen.  That's pricey, but eBay certainly isn't any cheaper.  I hope Noble Knight or some other reseller gets them.  These aren't a bunch of newspapers or romance novels; these have some heart and soul poured into them.  I am not pitying Chris, but I do see that these have more value than scrap.

Lejendary Adventure stuff may be priced at the level of d20 junk in the future, but I'll take the chance.  I get paid next week, so what the hell.

I have passed on the maps, novel, and the other stuff; I search for them in the future.

[crossposted to Dragonsfoot]

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:18 pm 

serleran wrote:http://fuzzyheroes.com/catalog.php

Chris says everything left on Monday is going to hit the recycler... so, if you're interested, now is the time. LA is a beautiful game, worthy of your support.

Jeez, that's a pretty short heads up. Doesn't give those of us with budgets time to pick anything up. And why pulp them? Is it a monetary thing? Can't they be turned over to a liquadator or at least have a huge sale with some notice of the fact.

I know I won't be able to pick anything up with this short a notice. This just doesn't seem right.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:25 pm 

I don't quite understand the pulp it either.  Even if you sell it for $1 each instead of pulping aren't you at least getting something for it?  I'm guess the printer is going to give you anything for them.

Or is there some agreement that since LA is not longer being developed that old stock can't be sold past a certain point?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:33 pm 

I don't know why Monday was the date -- perhaps it has something to do with the license pull, but it is not like this is anything new -- Chris mentioned he had to sell it all off a while back. He's just stated that, now, there is a deadline... I'm not affiliated with the company, and have no idea why a "fire sale" isn't in the works (maybe there are restrictions against selling at discount?) but... I do like the game, and don't want to see it destroyed simply because it can't be sold further.

I figured collectors would have similar sentiments (look at your history books and something like Orange B3...)

Last edited by copycat on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Jeez, that's a pretty short heads up. Doesn't give those of us with budgets time to pick anything up.

I had forgotten that this month is the last month to buy current LA publications.  Apprently, so did everyone else.  :(

And why pulp them? Is it a monetary thing? Can't they be turned over to a liquadator or at least have a huge sale with some notice of the fact.

I know I won't be able to pick anything up with this short a notice. This just doesn't seem right.

Yeah, it's a last gasp to sell to suckers like me, but I can appreciate that.  Maybe the economics make sense. Don't ask me how; I just bought $102 of white elephants.  Or maybe I just answered your question why it makes sense.

I don't feel bad about paying full price.  I can only imagine why the Hekaforge LA is being sold like this.  Has anyone asked Chris?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:58 pm 

Mars wrote:Or is there some agreement that since LA is not longer being developed that old stock can't be sold past a certain point?

Correct.  He's apparently not allowed to sell outstanding stock after Aug 31.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:45 pm 

Bizarre not to sell all for a buck a piece or something this late in the game.
I mean if you truly honor it.

In youth he had felt the hidden beauty and ecstasy of things, and had been a poet; but poverty and sorrow and exile had turned his gaze in darker directions, and he had thrilled at the imputations of evil in the world around.-HPL

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 pm 

No, see, I think of it as something quite the opposite... but, whatever. Not my decision. Ask the guy who is doing the sale as to whys... this is simply information. Use it, or don't.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:55 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Jeez, that's a pretty short heads up. Doesn't give those of us with budgets time to pick anything up. And why pulp them? Is it a monetary thing? Can't they be turned over to a liquadator or at least have a huge sale with some notice of the fact.

When someone pulps something instead of sells it for cheap or gives it away, there is typically one reason and one reason only in the publishing business:

Write off...

You can make a helluva lot more money writing off full value of destroyed or unusable stock than selling it cheap.  So it's a business decision.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:52 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Ouch!  Lighten up, Aneoth!

OK, for $102 and some change, I got the modules and the screen.  That's pricey, but eBay certainly isn't any cheaper.  I hope Noble Knight or some other reseller gets them.  These aren't a bunch of newspapers or romance novels; these have some heart and soul poured into them.  I am not pitying Chris, but I do see that these have more value than scrap.

Lejendary Adventure stuff may be priced at the level of d20 junk in the future, but I'll take the chance.  I get paid next week, so what the hell.

I have passed on the maps, novel, and the other stuff; I search for them in the future.

[crossposted to Dragonsfoot]

My Apologies to all. And to Chris...
I didnt intend to be mean.
Like some others above, it is Just too much for me to pull the trigger.

I agree the stuff is more valuable to us than scrap price, but even so; One would think that they would sell them at a huge discount rather than pulp the stuff, but as Mike said, that was likely an accounting descision.
but I would still think that could sell them at a proper discount at this late date (cost plus a small percentage?).
And shipping was indeed kinda silly.

Since I have the core rules, I saw little need to get the update books, even at $25 for the three.
Adventures was what I was mainly after and at $13 and $16.... plus the $17 shipping?!  I decided to pass.
As for the maps, I would bet they would be the hardest items to find later on.
That was why I had considered buying them along with the adventures.
Sigh...... yet, my lack of sufficient funds will not allow it right now.

Also as stated above by others; A longer notice would have been a good plan too.
I recently spent a lot of money on some items that I could have spent there instead.
And I would have gladly given some of that other money to them, if we had been given that longer notice.
A shame yes, but a fact nonetheless.

I can only hope that someone will stock up and re-sell some of the items at a later date.
If not, then it wont be the first (nor the last) time, I will have missed out on something like this.
We cant have it all, and cant take any of it with us anyway in the end.
Yet another shame there.......

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:18 am 

Badmike wrote:You can make a helluva lot more money writing off full value of destroyed or unusable stock than selling it cheap.  So it's a business decision.

That is usually the mentality for businesses that turn a profit and are looking for the writeoff.  I wouldn't be surprised that if after paying himself a salary that Hekaforge was close to break even.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:51 am 

A longer notice would have been a good plan too.

There was a longer notice -- the fact that ICGD would be ceasing publication of LA was stated in July, and then on the third of August, a statement that they were going to stop selling by the end of the month.

Now, maybe it was my fault (or one of the other LA fans) for not mentioning it here... but, it has been public knowledge for some time.

Next