Upper Works review?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:14 pm 

I've not experienced the all dried out and crispy problem (have you tried Vagisil?) But all of mine also have a light crackling, like there are little air bubbles or blisters under the paper. The poor quality of the boxes is something TLG are famous for. I have it as far back as the C&C white boxes I own, and as recent as the Towers boxes. It's the difference between using UHU and a 10 cent CheapoMart Glue Stick. Damn shame they didn't ask around before signing up with whoever made those boxes. Practically every other publisher out there manages to get that bit right.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:17 pm 

Hi,

theres a UK seller thats been selling them boxless for £14.99 including postage.

They've had a few, so I guess the box problem may be quite bad.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:22 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

theres a UK seller thats been selling them boxless for £14.99 including postage.

They've had a few, so I guess the box problem may be quite bad.

Cheers,
Malc

Really!
I'd buy one and I'm sure there are plenty others who would too. Who is this guy, and does he have any left?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:25 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Really!
I'd buy one and I'm sure there are plenty others who would too. Who is this guy, and does he have any left?

Seconded.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:32 pm 

Hiya,

its Archeron Games, big games seller in the UK.

Unfortunately, he is down to his least one, which he's put on auction instead of BIN.

I bought 2 of them, erm Friday, I think...   :roll:

Dunno how many he had originally.

Cheers,
Malc

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:32 am 

damn, I'd have bought one in an instant for that price.. I kept getting 'new listing' emails from eBay on CZ:UW items, but didnt bother looking because I thought they'd be the SW £100+ price... damn, again!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:42 am 

Hi,

fingers crossed they arrive before I go to Spiel, as they should be good sellers  :D

Otherwise, they'll go to Dragonmeet.

Cheers,
Malc

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Anyone else hear anything similar when stroking their CZ?   :D

Possibly while whispering - "My Precioussssss!" 8O

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 pm 

fingers crossed they arrive before I go to Spiel, as they should be good sellers  :D

Otherwise, they'll go to Dragonmeet.

Cheers,
Malc

Don't finds like that make all the hassle with eBay worth it?
I can only assume Acheron just wanted shot to cover their costs and didn't know how much they were likely to be worth. Suspect you could set a £50 price tag on those at a show. Did anyone notice how much CZ:UW was going for at GenCon? Would have thought a couple of dealers would have had some out.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:46 am 

dont you think at £15 though and opened, there is now a good chance of a copy going rogue as a torrent or pdf? At that price someone may consider its not an investment and do the inevitable.
Not to say that it will affect the boxed or shrinky prices though. I guess it just depends how many have gone at this price and condition.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:13 am 

Hi,

well, they've turned up, and oddly enough, are both in boxes!

One box has one blown corner, the other has 2 blown corners. Other than that, they are in extremely good condition.

Cheers,
Malc

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:29 am 

Thanks for the info...now I just have to figure out the monetary conversion  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:11 am 

Fantastic find just made sweeter, Malc. I'd have been over the moon to have added those to my stock. We've seen copies with blown corners selling for $130+ on eBay. I wonder how many we've missed at that price?
ashmire13 wrote:dont you think at £15 though and opened, there is now a good chance of a copy going rogue as a torrent or pdf? At that price someone may consider its not an investment and do the inevitable.
Not to say that it will affect the boxed or shrinky prices though. I guess it just depends how many have gone at this price and condition.

If it was gonna happen, I suspect itwould have happenned by now. Someone has to have a motivation to put the time and effort in to creating a PDF, especially when that PDF is 250+ pages. Whether it's personal kudos in the piracy world or personal proffit, they do it for a reason. I think if there had been a reason they'd have done it by now. If there was a PDF out there, even doing the rounds privately, someone would have come accross it by now. Google would have found it being talked about if past history of such things is anything to go by. But so far, nada.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:27 am 

Thats fair comment, I've certainly never seen one mentioned beyond this site as a possibility.

Makes me even more gutted that I ignored those emails...

Congrats on a truly great buy though Malc!  :D

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:01 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Thats fair comment, I've certainly never seen one mentioned beyond this site as a possibility.

Mine took almost a week to build and I've got years of experience. Can't imagine how long it would take an amateur, or why they'd want to do it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm 

well, they've turned up, and oddly enough, are both in boxes!

One box has one blown corner, the other has 2 blown corners. Other than that, they are in extremely good condition.

Cheers,
Malc

The CZ that they put up for auction went for £37.5.  Box is included but it's pretty smashed according to their description.  Crossing the fingers and hoping that they don't get swallowed up by the postal service.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:21 pm 

Congradulations on a good buy there. Considering the RRP on these in the UK was £34.95, getting a NM play copy with a damaged box for just over RRP is a bargain.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:03 pm 

The next installment of WG13 Castle Of The Mad Archmage will be out very soon.  It will take Joe a little bit to integrate ten pages of proofreading notes I just sent in, but then it's ready!

Level Seven: The Crypts is a gem.  I'm not saying that because I'm involved (hey, Level Four never really worked for me); I really like this one.  The deeper down Joe goes, the better this is getting.  Level Six was maddening, and this one is really starting to get the meat grinder cranking!

The current version is always at http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com

PreviousNext