Upper Works review?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:26 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Is there a CZ:UW pdf to buy yet?

No and their probably won't be one.  Any such PDF would need to be a meeting of the minds between Gygax Games and TLG which seems very unlikely.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:17 am 

What he said.

Never likely to be a PDF or a reprint in the original format.
Maybe something on paper or PDF in the future for Patfinder/LA/4E, but will look and feel a lot different, and as with all the other 'Greyhawk Rehashes' over the years, likely to be very badly written and constructed.

WoTC have presented Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk very well, but is has nothing of EGG's gaming style, experience, or character in it.

If Mongoose get their hands on Trigee's inheritence (which is the current implied intent), they will in all likelyhood put out a badly constructed, poorly illustrated pastiche of what they fatasize about, and hand it over to the chinese to have it written. They are unlikely to manage to get more than 80% of the words correctly spelled or placed in the correct order, so for all our sakes, let's hope either Trigee or Mongoose go under before they can close a deal.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 am 

ashmire13 wrote:Is there a CZ:UW pdf to buy yet?

Although, I'd say that the T&T $80 one is a good buy currently at that price.

I'm not suprised that it's still there.  Their description of the box and contents are the usual (possible heavy wear and/or damage to the product) and will make all but the die hard "I've got to have it" fan shy away (well, those that can read anyway).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:49 am 

Do you think T&T are exagerating the quality of their products?
I'd never have thought they'd be so low!   :wink:  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Do you think T&T are exagerating the quality of their products?
I'd never have thought they'd be so low!   :wink:  :D

That's what's keeping me from pushing the button.  If they thought no-one would squeal about it at a higher price you'd better believe that they'd be trying to charge it.  For a sub $100 CZ I'd guess it's in bad shape.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:51 pm 

Water damage? Fungus? Magic Marker? Highlighter? Missing Pages? Missing books? Who knows what "Very Good Condition" means to T&T. It certainly seems to have a very wide scope with very hazy boudaries, encompassing everything below "Mint in Shrink", which itself seems to mean anything from "VG-and-we-shrunk-it-ourselves" to brand new stock.

I suspect someone is going to either get a fairly good buy or get stung big time. It's certainly not worth an $80+shipping gamble, but that sems to be solely because the seller cannot be trusted. Lets face it, if Crazy Egor, Hiking Viking or Intelligator (or whatever he's called) was selling this, it would have sold within hours.

Wonder if T&T are aware that there is a "T&T effect" negatively influencing their sales? Trust?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:18 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Water damage? Fungus? Magic Marker? Highlighter? Missing Pages? Missing books? Who knows what "Very Good Condition" means to T&T. It certainly seems to have a very wide scope with very hazy boudaries, encompassing everything below "Mint in Shrink", which itself seems to mean anything from "VG-and-we-shrunk-it-ourselves" to brand new stock.

I suspect someone is going to either get a fairly good buy or get stung big time. It's certainly not worth an $80+shipping gamble, but that sems to be solely because the seller cannot be trusted. Lets face it, if Crazy Egor, Hiking Viking or Intelligator (or whatever he's called) was selling this, it would have sold within hours.

Wonder if T&T are aware that there is a "T&T effect" negatively influencing their sales? Trust?

They sure seem to sell alot of stuff for having a bad selling reputation :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:20 pm 

Didn't someone on here buy one from them recently that had a big tear through the side of the box that went into one of the books? He got a replacement if I remember correctly....I wonder if thats the damaged one that was sent back.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:29 pm 

GreyM,

I had ordered the Champaign setting book and it did come with a big gash in the side of the box which of course put a gash in the side of the book.  They did replace it with a NM copy and did so quite quickly.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:01 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
They sure seem to sell alot of stuff for having a bad selling reputation :?

Same can be said for Cougie. He's one of the biggest UK resellers and peeps complain about him all the time.
GreyM wrote:Didn't someone on here buy one from them recently that had a big tear through the side of the box that went into one of the books? He got a replacement if I remember correctly....I wonder if thats the damaged one that was sent back.

Wouldn't surprise me. That certainly sounds like T&T Good Condition to me. Virtually mint!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:32 pm 

Prufrock wrote:GreyM,

I had ordered the Champaign setting book and it did come with a big gash in the side of the box which of course put a gash in the side of the book.  They did replace it with a NM copy and did so quite quickly.

Martin

I wanted to say it was you, but I couldn't be sure. I'm glad my memory isn't failing me  :D

If anyone's brave enough to buy that, please let us know ... maybe they're reading the threads on here and are trying to get back on the good side  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 pm 

GreyM wrote:If anyone's brave enough to buy that, please let us know ... maybe they're reading the threads on here and are trying to get back on the good side  8)

:D  I don't think they need our money.  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:54 pm 

I was going to buy it, but T&T had to fix my account for some reason (my address wasn't processable or something or other), and someone bought the set in the meanwhile.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:37 pm 

Found another CZ:UW in the wild.

The glue that holds the printed paper to the cardboard boxes of this copy has dried out.  When I apply pressure with my fingers to the edges of the box, the glue makes a crackling noise.  The noise is similar to Pop Rocks.  The paper on the inside of lower box is no longer attached.

My personal copy does not have this problem (yet?), though I can hear a small amount of crackling when I run my fingers over it.

Anyone else hear anything similar when stroking their CZ?   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:14 pm 

I've not experienced the all dried out and crispy problem (have you tried Vagisil?) But all of mine also have a light crackling, like there are little air bubbles or blisters under the paper. The poor quality of the boxes is something TLG are famous for. I have it as far back as the C&C white boxes I own, and as recent as the Towers boxes. It's the difference between using UHU and a 10 cent CheapoMart Glue Stick. Damn shame they didn't ask around before signing up with whoever made those boxes. Practically every other publisher out there manages to get that bit right.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:17 pm 

Hi,

theres a UK seller thats been selling them boxless for £14.99 including postage.

They've had a few, so I guess the box problem may be quite bad.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:22 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

theres a UK seller thats been selling them boxless for £14.99 including postage.

They've had a few, so I guess the box problem may be quite bad.

Cheers,
Malc

Really!
I'd buy one and I'm sure there are plenty others who would too. Who is this guy, and does he have any left?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:25 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Really!
I'd buy one and I'm sure there are plenty others who would too. Who is this guy, and does he have any left?

Seconded.

PreviousNext