Upper Works review?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 25 of 32123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 303132
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:10 am 

Along with the statement about Libraries and Museums/Gallaries that has been posted here on the forums before.

Apparently the copy must either be sent with the original, or destroyed.
In any case YOU cannot keep the copy since you no longer own the oiginal.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:30 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Along with the statement about Libraries and Museums/Gallaries that has been posted here on the forums before.

Apparently the copy must either be sent with the original, or destroyed.
In any case YOU cannot keep the copy since you no longer own the oiginal.

So I could sell CZ:UW Complete with Backup PDF on a CD? That may be challenged by TLG or TriGee.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:26 pm 

. wrote:So I could sell CZ:UW Complete with Backup PDF on a CD? That may be challenged by TLG or TriGee.

To the best of my knowledge that would be completely legal. Both the original and the backup you made are your personal property and you can dispose of them as you wish.

joe b.

Expeditious Retreat Press

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:53 pm 

jgbrowning wrote:To the best of my knowledge that would be completely legal. Both the original and the backup you made are your personal property and you can dispose of them as you wish.

I bet that would ramp the sale price up.  :D
But no way of controlling where the PDF went thereafter, and if Mars' reading of Clause 4a is correct, you may only reproduce portions of, and not the entirity of, something for your own personal use. Probably more prudent to destroy it.
That said, if it were sold legitimately along with its hardcopy, and it were then to go wild, it would not be something of my doing.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:55 pm 

. wrote:if Mars' reading of Clause 4a is correct, you may only reproduce portions of, and not the entirity of,

This clause refers to scanning in parts of the book to be put up on a website or passed out amongst friends so it doesn't really apply to making a backup for personal use.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 pm 

Mars wrote:This clause refers to scanning in parts of the book to be put up on a website or passed out amongst friends so it doesn't really apply to making a backup for personal use.

Cool. Could do an entire CZ DVD along with a set of hard copies.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:44 pm 

To the best of my knowledge that would be completely legal. Both the original and the backup you made are your personal property and you can dispose of them as you wish.

It is illegal to distribute in any way so-called back up copies of books or games you own. In fact as I have already stated many times it's not even legal to make back-up copies of books or games at all in the first place. As has been pointed out no one is going to rush to your house for making personal back up copies but if you start distributing them that is cause for more serious concern.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:08 pm 

jcp wrote:
It is illegal to distribute in any way so-called back up copies of books or games you own. In fact as I have already stated many times it's not even legal to make back-up copies of books or games at all in the first place. As has been pointed out no one is going to rush to your house for making personal back up copies but if you start distributing them that is cause for more serious concern.

Book I understand.
By 'game' I assume you mean printed materials.
This cannot apply to computer games distributed on CD or DVD as they only come with a 90 day warranty, and no one would ever buy a game that they were only legally allowed to use for 90 days if the got cyclic redundancy errors thereafter.

With book and persanal production and use of a PDF, I consider the law to be irrelevant and incorrectly applied. It is meant to combat general piracy and not meant to hinder or hamper the personal freedoms or rights of an individual to enjoy their own purchased products. Furthermore, I very much doubt it has ever been tested or would ever stand up in a court of law. So the law, as it is read and applies to an individual making PDFs for personal safety and use, is a complete irrelevance.

That only leaves whether or not passing a persoan copy to someone else is considered 'distribution' and under which circumstances, one might exercise one's own values over that prescribed by written law. It is quite clearly 'distribution' as passing it to another then falls outwith any deffinition of 'personal use by the creator', so the moral question is whether or not someone is willing and can justify to themselves, breaking civil law, how far they are willing to go, and how much risk they are willing to take on.

One would assume being in a foriegn country further deters prosecution, as it seems US civil law only applies to civil offences committed on US soil.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:10 pm 

This cannot apply to computer games distributed on CD or DVD

In 1980 a new section was amendend to the 1976 United States Copyright Act, section 117. This new section provided the basis for owners of computer programs to back up them up for their protection and use in certain specific circumstances. But this provision did not extended to any other media and books and printed matter were not then nor are they now covered by this provision. It has since gotten more difficult to legally back up privately purchased software as the 1998 amendments under the Digital Millennum Copyright Act made it illegal to defeat technological copy prevention built into software.

In 1992 an amendement was added to the Copyright Act allowing consumers to make personal back up copies of legally purchased music and media stored on CD, but it was explicitly stated that these backup copies were for personal use only and never under any circumstances to be given to others or distributed, even if given away for free. These provisions have since been updated and challenged so they have evolved, but at no time did this extend to other media that a consumer may purchase or own so books and printed mater would not fall under this either.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:30 pm 

In Canada a fee for each writeable CD or DVD is given to the music industry.  In exchange, we are allowed to make backup copies of CD music for personal use without ever having to own the original.  Borrowing a CD from the library, making a copy, returning the original is perfectly legal.

I don't think this policy applies to games on CD though.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:37 pm 

I have a few copies of CZ:UW and have considered making a pdf for myself as well. I bought one copy when it first became available for my family campaign, but grabbed some more as soon as I heard about GG yanking the license from TLG, knowing that the number of copies distributed couldn't possibly have been that many in just a few months (a few thousand I figured, never would have guessed it might be less than 500).

My first copy I sat down and read the first two days after it arrived, but I was careful with it as I am with all books. My other two copies I've done nothing more than check to make sure the contents were all there (none of my copies were shrink wrapped). All three have some box damage that apparently was a problem in the warehouse or whatever.

Anyways, as much as I'd like to run the adventure, I can't bring myself to open those boxes again and risk damaging them at the gaming table. I tucked them up on a shelf, and am waiting to see what happens in 5 years or so to the price (I'm guessing in 5 years they go for $500 for a mint or NM).

While I don't think CZ:UW is the best Gary ever wrote (the G-D series tops them all IMO), its still a good adventure. Making a pdf for my own use seems like the least of all evils if I ever want to actually play the damned thing without losing out on my investment potential.

If that makes me a pirate, then ARRR matey! :pirat:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:09 pm 

The number of copies is not less than 500.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:21 pm 

For being as rare as UW is I've come across and subsequently purchased 6 box sets brand new in the past 3-4 months. I found 3 for $10 on a discount rack at a game store booth at a convention, and 2 others for original price at a local game store. I've also picked up one on ebay for $29 as well. This is all since the New Year when it was pulled. For being so rare either I'm really, really lucky or there are more than we think floating around.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:26 pm 

as far as what I have seen since the beginning of this year, it appears you are really, really lucky....

Jorge

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:27 pm 

jcp wrote:For being as rare as UW is I've come across and subsequently purchased 6 box sets brand new in the past 3-4 months. I found 3 for $10 on a discount rack at a game store booth at a convention, and 2 others for original price at a local game store. I've also picked up one on ebay for $29 as well. This is all since the New Year when it was pulled. For being so rare either I'm really, really lucky or there are more than we think floating around.

If they're not that rare, then why are you buying them up?  :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 pm 

carrejo wrote:as far as what I have seen since the beginning of this year, it appears you are really, really lucky....

Jorge

Agreed, the lowest price I have seen since March has been $135.  And 3 for $10 at a convention?  What convention was this?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:01 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:And 3 for $10 at a convention?  What convention was this?

No kidding, that retailer must be grouped among  the stupidest retailers around.  Regardless of the current Ebay price - discounting stock that is at best 6 months old to less than 25% of retail is ridiculous - considering the Castles & Crusades line is still going.  If it was a going out of business sale then it makes sense why.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:19 pm 

Yeah, that seems like a ridiculously low amount, but considering I got mine for $0... I won't complain.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 25 of 32123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 303132