Upper Works review?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 22 of 32123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 303132
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:42 pm 

Mars wrote:You should go check and see if you can find one.  I think you would have to do a little bit of digging to find one (especially to get one at cover price).  Of the stores in Canada, most of the major stores (the ones that carried the Castles & Crusades line) are out of copies and so are the distributors.

Of the online resellers, NK and Troll&Toad don't have copies either.  There currently aren't any on Ebay and I can't find one in the completed auctions either.

Which version of Dark Chateau is rare?  I have seen more copies of the older, silver version than I have of the newer, golden version.  I have seen perhaps three or four of the silver and one or two of the golden.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:46 pm 

I just did a search in Google using just the words "kuntz dark chateau" and two places came up selling it -- one was Amazon.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:06 pm 

serleran wrote:I just did a search in Google using just the words "kuntz dark chateau" and two places came up selling it -- one was Amazon.

Good luck trying to get it from Amazon.  Notice that it says it will take 1 to 4 months to get in (after you order it) which means that they will need to get it from TLG so that's not going to happen.

A quick through your search and I can't seem to find the second place.  Most of the other places that search multiple businesses like eCampus and Bookfinder list it as Non-available.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:57 pm 

Hmm, you're right. It may be harder to get, now. It was very, very, very easy to get just last year, being on sale for quite a long time.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:40 am 

serleran wrote:It was very, very, very easy to get just last year, being on sale for quite a long time.

Yes, even at Christmas they were all part of the TLG Christmas sale and easily obtainable for a reduced price.  I wish I had taken advantage of that but instead have picked them up recently for around cover price.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 pm 

Update from Gygax Games:

Greetings Seekers,

I am reading your posts and working towards and end - my goal is to make sure Gary's intellectual property is safeguarded and protected. This takes time, more time than I anticipated - it's not that nothing is going on, I just can not disclose confidential information.

We all want to see Gary's work continue and rest assured, I am working towards that!

I appreciate your patience and understanding. We all miss him and want to keep his memory alive! I am dedicated to just that.

Gail Gygax

Original @ http://www.gygax-games.com/Forums/viewt ... 0&start=10

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:59 pm 

How many people feel that they would like to make a personal copy of CZ:UW for their own personal use? Would it be imoral or unethical for someone to engage another company to produce that copy for them?

It strikes me that a lot of people will not even read their boxed set because of its rarity and value, for fear of damaging it. What's more, there is an amiazing amount of fist class campaign materials within Yggsburgh and CZ:UW, and the absence of a digital source means that if you want to campaign in this setting, you need to copy everything out by hand. So having what little there was available pulled by Trigee, and not having CZ1 and CZ:UW released at all in PDF is a big handicap to gamers also.

I may be, at some point in the future, in a position to offer backup digital copies of CZ to those who really want to read, preserve or game with them. A freebie. I am sure there is nothing illegal in providing backup copies. I just wanted to take a quick sounding from collectors (as they tend to have the largest vested interest in such matters) on this.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm 

First off, I have little problems with using the only copy I have once the grandkids are ready to go there.

That is why I bought it when it was cheap and easy to find.
But If the offer for a backup is there, then I would be up for a copy too.
Easier to print off a playing map than to scan it myself... then print.
Same thing for the books.

A stated above, I DID buy it to use it, but I would not mind a bit; saving the orignal Box Set.... for inheritance purposes. :wink:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:16 pm 

I have no interest in a digital version.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:43 pm 

I read mine, mind you that was all before the fiasco with the price jump, but would not have changed anything.  I'd possibly only want a digital copy to keep in the same folder I have the Castle of the Mad Archmage files in.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:15 pm 

. wrote:I may be, at some point in the future, in a position to offer backup digital copies of CZ to those who really want to read, preserve or game with them. A freebie. I am sure there is nothing illegal in providing backup copies.

How would you know that they are truly backup copies, that the person in question actually owns a printed copy?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:40 pm 

Bacause they said they did, of course :wink:  (and would obviously destroy the digital version if they ever dispensed of the hard copy)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 pm 

gyg wrote:Bacause they said they did, of course :wink:  (and would obviously destroy the digital version if they ever dispensed of the hard copy)

Strange how one can rely on that, isn't it?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:50 pm 

faro wrote:Strange how one can rely on that, isn't it?

Quite right - I 100% trust everyone I deal with on the internet :D  8O

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:55 pm 

gyg wrote:Bacause they said they did, of course :wink:  (and would obviously destroy the digital version if they ever dispensed of the hard copy)

That's exactly my point. Are these intended to be backup copies (no wink needed) or "backup copies" (nudge, nudge)? :D

Personally, I wouldn't be all that keen about the wide distribution of pirated copies.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:31 am 

I am in the process of digitizing Yggsburgh and CZ:UW for my own safety and posterity. They are likely to be large files, but are really sweet high resolution scans with full OCR so I can copy and paste prtions out for gameplay.

I was actually thinking of burning to CD and offering only to Acaeum members as backups. I have a fair handle on who has copies here, and I know most of you's anyways, and if I wanted to check, then asking for copy of a PayPal invoice showing purchase would suffice.

Furthermore, burning the recipient's PayPal ID into the PDF as metadata, and/or as a watermark would deter redistribution online. We all value things we don't pay for less than things we do, so this would be my only concern. I wouldn't want to be the one who found that my file had gone wild, not least because I am still sitting on eight copies of UW and about a dozen CZ1.

My primary concern is wider distribution of pirate copies. Whilst I trust everyone here, and can control who I send files to, I have no control over who they trust and/or pass files to. Morally have have no problem providing a backup copy to someone I know is a long term collector and will still have their copy of CZ:UW in a decade (faro, say). But I have a problem with the sheer volume of pirate goods online and would not wish to be the person who put CZ up there. That is my dilema.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:02 pm 

. wrote:Furthermore, burning the recipient's PayPal ID into the PDF as metadata, and/or as a watermark would deter redistribution online.

My primary concern is wider distribution of pirate copies. Whilst I trust everyone here, and can control who I send files to, I have no control over who they trust and/or pass files to.

Great post!

picked out the 2 bits that I found most interesting - first is a great suggestion and second shows just how easily stuff profligates on the internet - a domino effect that means suddenly everone and his friend has one!

(btw - you trust EVERYONE here - really? 8O  :D )

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:33 pm 

. wrote:But I have a problem with the sheer volume of pirate goods online and would not wish to be the person who put CZ up there. That is my dilema.

It will probably happen eventually, whether you pass your copy around or not, as it is possible to find PDFs of virtually every RPG product ever made on torrent trackers or Usenet. The ideas you suggest are about the most that can be done to reduce the traffic.

The funny thing is, on this past Saturday I was considering scanning my reading copy for my own use. I still haven't decided if I have the gumption to scan the whole thing or not.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 22 of 32123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 303132