Upper Works review?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 21 of 32123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 303132
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:59 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:One copy of the Box Set, a few of the hardbound Yggsburgh books and a few scattered modules.

By a "few of the hardbound" the number is probably more around 50.  When they initially got these in, their store inventory was 56 or so.  A week later they dropped it down to 6.  This seems to be their usual tactic.  They bring the rest to the warehouse.  As each set of 6 sells out, they then restock the store and increase the price.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:13 pm 

So, TLG own no rights over the product at all? Trigee can remobe the TLG credit and logo and simply reprint as is? That's easy money in the current climate. Does anyone know if Trigee have the project in electronic form (Word etc) or would they have to type it all out again? Do they also have rights to publish maps, illustrations, cover art etc?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 pm 

I am not entirely certain about this, but I am quite sure Peter Bradley would have retained the rights to the pictures. I believe he does that with all his work, but, as I said... I am not completely confident about that.

Also very sure Trigee has it in some electronic format (simply because Jeff would have been in touch with Gary, sending things back and forth and Gary kept many, many emails) but maybe not in the layout version which, if Peter did, means it has been lost to the ether of cyberspace... he removed / destroyed everything he had worked on (such as the was-to-be upcoming LA material and future CZ maps.)

So, this is guesswork, but pretty educated guesswork.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:26 pm 

Damn shame about future CZ maps is about all I can say there.
Maybe then there is more work in republication than simply a rebranded CZ:UW. That also is good news for those who bought a spare copy for investment purposes.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:15 pm 

lawrenson wrote:rumours in the industry about it being reprinted.

I'd be curious where you heard this?  Everything that I have heard suggests that GG has been in a very long stall mode.  The only product that even seemed to be remotely on the slate was LA core book.

It would be great to reprint this and sell it along with LA - would be a great start for the company.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:22 pm 

I'm guessing that the rumour started with thread such as this:

http://gygax-games.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=100

Can't seem to get the EN World discussion at the moment but so far it seems like a lot of wishful thinking.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:12 pm 

Hiya,

Nothing in the least bit concrete - was idly chatting to someone in our Distributors, mentioned CZ, and he said something along the lines of it being possibly reprinted.
This was a few weeks ago.

Cheers,
Malc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 pm 

serleran wrote:Also very sure Trigee has it in some electronic format (simply because Jeff would have been in touch with Gary, sending things back and forth and Gary kept many, many emails) but maybe not in the layout version which, if Peter did, means it has been lost to the ether of cyberspace... he removed / destroyed everything he had worked on (such as the was-to-be upcoming LA material and future CZ maps.)

I would hope that any such future materials would have been turned over to Gail and then destroyed vs. destroyed out of hand....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:22 pm 

Unless the contract lapsed and the rights reverted, as happened with the CZ Expansions. Those, however, had already been submitted, for the most part...

For example, if the maps were "artistic representation" then they would belong to Peter (potentially.) Gail would still have the original inspiration / text, and another artist would be needed to render it. So, unless money changed hands, or there was something in the contract, I don't really know what might have been what (even more confounded by the fact I never actually had a contract with Trigee [seeing as my contributions were minuscule, it was needless] for comparative purposes). So, this is conjecture and theory without it necessarily being true.

But, in a great and perfect place, we'd still have Gary and CZ II would be on its way. Oh, what a dream that would be.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:49 pm 

serleran wrote:....But, in a great and perfect place, we'd still have Gary and CZ II would be on its way. Oh, what a dream that would be.

Did you mean CZ III?
CZ II was the Upper Works.
CZ I was the Hardbound book Town of Yggsburgh.

But yes, that would be very nice.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:52 pm 

I don't count Yggsburgh as CZI since there is hardly anything in the book about the Castle. :) But, yes... technically, CZIII should have been said.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:16 am 

Latest issue of WG13 Castle of the Mad Archmage....

http://rs789.rapidshare.com/files/236882376/WG13_0905b.pdf

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:11 am 

. wrote:Latest issue of WG13 Castle of the Mad Archmage....

http://rs789.rapidshare.com/files/236882376/WG13_0905b.pdf

Damn file size is small when all the maps are blue maps.  A great freebie though.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:11 pm 

Are the CZ-related expansions getting more difficult to find, or is CZ:UW the only hard-to-find Zagyg item?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:31 pm 

I think folks are just spacing their sales out.  It looks a lot better if there's only one available at a time.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 21&t=36462

Not sure if he's still got them but jpipes had 3 of them available not too long ago.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:03 am 

I'm more of the opinion that everyone who wanted to pay a premium for CZ:UW has already bought one, and that most people are sitting on their stocks rather than dropping their price. Better to wait 18 months and get $300 than sell today for $150. There is plenty of stock out there with people who are willing to sell, but those people are not willing to sell below $200, and some private collectors may be in this for the long term and aiming much much higher, so I think we've seen the low ebb of the CZ:UW bubble, and there may be a long lull before we see renewed interest in anything CZ. The next big thing in that campaigh world may be a long way away. And if Gail doesn't get off her arse, the next big thing  may not even have anything to do with her. CZ has a decade of publishing potential ahead of it, and it's just a matter of who publishes first.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:31 pm 

. wrote:so I think we've seen the low ebb of the CZ:UW bubble, and there may be a long lull before we see renewed interest in anything CZ.

CZ:UW sales do seem to be in stasis.

Does this phenomenon affect the previously-released CZ modules/expansions?  Are they getting scarce?  Are they appreciating in value?  Are they dependent upon CZ:UW demand, or are they independent of it?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:55 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Are they getting scarce?  Are they appreciating in value?

I think all of the CZ modules are scarce with the exception of the Yggsburgh hardcover.  But I don't think they have really appreciated in value much so I would say that their value is currently independent of CZ:UW.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 21 of 32123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 303132