Upper Works review?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 32123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 303132
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:14 am 

. wrote:Various things. Minus, because you never know how much product is scrapped on account of damaged stock, straight off the press, during deliver, during storage and assembly, in the retail chain, etc. Retail chain pulps stock that is returned by retailers as 'damaged'. Plus, because there are always products produced before the production run, to see that the box is just so, the check that the box and books all fit, the check that the box wrapper aligns with the cardboard frame, etc. And because verious people always get their complimentary copies (authors, contributing artists, cartographer, office reference copies and printers keep samples of products they've printed for display and to show other clients). Production of any product is not an exact science, and there is always extra produced at every stage of the production process.

So we don't know exactly how many are actually out there, but we can guess at around 1000 +/- 5%.

I'm good friends with one writer and even the owners Clark and Bill.  So I can tell you there isn't any + to that amount, minus I can go along with, but then every product will go -% unless its print on demand.  Since printing came from China (course it will again since Paizo goes through that country as well) there was no advance copies.  Sure they had things air mailed to make Gen Con while the rest was shipped by sea.  And companies get what is known as a "White Sample" A white sample is a totally blank book with the correct weight, paper stock, and cover stock of the final product.
Just wanted to inform you on this, not trying to make a big deal out of it.  Other companies do things differently, but what I know of Necromancer Games stuff that's the gist of it.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:04 am 

Plaag wrote:I'm good friends with one writer and even the owners Clark and Bill.  So I can tell you there isn't any + to that amount, minus I can go along with, but then every product will go -% unless its print on demand.  Since printing came from China (course it will again since Paizo goes through that country as well) there was no advance copies.  Sure they had things air mailed to make Gen Con while the rest was shipped by sea.  And companies get what is known as a "White Sample" A white sample is a totally blank book with the correct weight, paper stock, and cover stock of the final product.
Just wanted to inform you on this, not trying to make a big deal out of it.  Other companies do things differently, but what I know of Necromancer Games stuff that's the gist of it.

Great info. Thanks.
'course it will again...'? Does that mean it's going to be reprintd? Why Paizo?
The white samples is something new to me. Sounds pretty cool. Wouldn't mind one of them.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:47 pm 

. wrote:
Great info. Thanks.
'course it will again...'? Does that mean it's going to be reprintd? Why Paizo?
The white samples is something new to me. Sounds pretty cool. Wouldn't mind one of them.

No plans for being reprinted, though some do want it to be through either 4e or Pathfinder rules (forum community now contains both types of people).  What I meant by 'course it will again' is that Paizo uses China for its printing just like White Wolf does.  White Wolf got bought by some Icelandic (?) company which deals with computer games iirc.  Been 2 years so basically when that happened I stopped visiting the White Wolf site (plus Ravenloft got taken away so another reason).  So for that time Necromancer Games didn't have a publisher, but also 4e became known so everything was put on hold.  They were only going to get back into publishing if their printing partner wasn't 'right' and it was when they hooked up with Paizo.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 pm 

bombadil wrote:Has this one been posted?

Upper Works with $199 BIN:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Now's your chance!

Hey Stephen, it looks like someone took your advice :)

At least we know these are still selling at the $200 range...

Jorge

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 pm 

For those interested I see two copies of CZ:UW on Noble Knights website, one for $198 VG/Mint, and one for $178 Fair/Mint..

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts ... GenreID_E_

Jorge

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:12 pm 

carrejo wrote:For those interested I see two copies of CZ:UW on Noble Knights website, one for $198 VG/Mint, and one for $178 Fair/Mint..

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts ... GenreID_E_

Jorge

There's a "retail price" listed next to each one for $219.95 and $199.95, and then the prices "on sale". Isn't that odd? :?

You save 10%!!! Whoo hoo!!!  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:39 pm 

NKG are pretty good at getting things to people without them arriving damaged, unlike the eBay lottery on shipping. And at under $200 I'd suggest these are a bargain. Thay ain't gonna drop in value unless you use them as play copies, and I could still comfortably see a 50% increase in value over the next five years. You don't get that sort of investment potential in many things.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:09 pm 

misterspock wrote:
There's a "retail price" listed next to each one for $219.95 and $199.95, and then the prices "on sale". Isn't that odd? :?

You save 10%!!! Whoo hoo!!!  :lol:

Noble Knight is in the midst of a storewide sale that ends tomorrow.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:48 pm 

. wrote:NKG are pretty good at getting things to people without them arriving damaged, unlike the eBay lottery on shipping.

Agreed totally: Aaron promised extra care and attention on the packing when sending those over here and delivered in spades (well before they were available locally in the UK). They all arrived in perfect condition - which is saying something for CZ:UW, especially in multiples - for a lower p&p cost than many eBay sellers would have charged for domestic postage.
All of which was a huge boon, even if his prices weren't the cheapest.

<clips>
> Shipping Address:
>...
> Great Britain and Northern Ireland
>
> Products Ordered:
>
> Product Title: Gary Gygax`s Castle Zagyg II - The Upper
> Works
>   Manufacturer: Troll Lord Games
>   Product Line: Castles & Crusades - Gary Gygax's
> Castle Zagyg (Troll Lord Games)
>   Condition: MINT/New
>   Quantity: 4
>   Price Each: $37.95
>
> Product SubTotal: $151.80
> Shipping: $23.71
> Total: $175.51
>
> Thank you again for shopping with Noble Knight Games.

Welcome! :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:27 pm 

even T&T is giving pretty good prices on it...

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p249310.html

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:48 pm 

carrejo wrote:even T&T is giving pretty good prices on it...

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p249310.html

Wow, that is a surprisingly low price from them, it is the lowest out there currently.  They have not listed that on EBay yet that I have seen.  I usually gloss right by the T&T listings as they are so overpriced, but about a month ago I got a copy of Yggsburgh from them for $15 which I think isn't too bad, and I noticed they have it (Yggsburgh) available again at $15.  Maybe they have a ton of the CZ line and are trying hard to move it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:04 am 

Now they do have it listed on E-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Gygaxs-Castle- ... .m20.l1116

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:04 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote:Now they do have it listed on E-Bay.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

It is listed at $171, and in the store it was $159.

If I had the money to burn I might have bought it there.

They added $12 (I suppose) to account for E-Bay fees and Paypal costs.

Still not a bad buy concidering the price they have been selling for of late.

As for C&C items, that is about all they seem to have.

One copy of the Box Set, a few of the hardbound Yggsburgh books and a few scattered modules.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:55 am 

Hi,

rumours in the industry about it being reprinted.

Cheers,
Malc

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:20 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

rumours in the industry about it being reprinted.

Cheers,
Malc

Good news for fans :) THis is really an item that should be played not hoarded away.  Our group went through it and we had a blast.  The werewolf infected a popular player which turned around later and ambushed the party.  Nearly a TPK :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:28 am 

Still makes me chuckle that I bought a copy off cougie in Jan 09 for about £35 all in.  Bet he is spitting feathers with the current prices :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 pm 

presumably this could be reprinted in near virbatim form under the existing OGL. Would assume if it were printed once like that, it can be done again, just without the TLG logos etc? No reason it has to be rewritten for 4E or LA?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:33 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Good news for fans :) THis is really an item that should be played not hoarded away.  Our group went through it and we had a blast.  The werewolf infected a popular player which turned around later and ambushed the party.  Nearly a TPK :lol:

Agree with your statements.
The Upper Levels Box Set is definately a classic RPG item and it should indeed be PLAYED rather than hoarded as a collectable or a future investment.
(Not dissing you who are holding several copies for those reasons, and I cant blaim you)

That said, I also hope it is re-printed and hopefully as is.

And thanks for that story too. :lol:
Like has been stated here many times; that box sets contents are truly Classic D&D through and through.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 32123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 303132