Upper Works review?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 32123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 303132
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 am 

killjoy32 wrote:if they are only $49.99, why are they selling for 3 x that? limited run or something?

Print run between GenCon and December 31st 2008.
Gail Gygax pulled TLG's license to EGG's works.
Probably only about 500 copies or so, and fewer than 30 made it to the UK market through Esvidium. Very few made it to continental Europe or Australia. Of the rest, maybe 50% went into the US distribution chain and the remainder were sold directly by TLG prior to December 2008.

So you have a combination of a product that is EGG's final magnum opus, the last rendition of Castle Greyhawk, and by all accounts well controlled through the design process by EGG, so fairly as he wanted to present it. Add to that the fact that it really is well written, EGG proving that he was still on the top of his game, a very limited print run, and that any future product will more than likely be 4E or LA (which will kill the traditional D&D feel or the product), and you have one instant collectable and much sought after item.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:59 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Print run between GenCon and December 31st 2008.
Gail Gygax pulled TLG's license to EGG's works.
Probably only about 500 copies or so, and fewer than 30 made it to the UK market through Esvidium. Very few made it to continental Europe or Australia. Of the rest, maybe 50% went into the US distribution chain and the remainder were sold directly by TLG prior to December 2008.

So you have a combination of a product that is EGG's final magnum opus, the last rendition of Castle Greyhawk, and by all accounts well controlled through the design process by EGG, so fairly as he wanted to present it. Add to that the fact that it really is well written, EGG proving that he was still on the top of his game, a very limited print run, and that any future product will more than likely be 4E or LA (which will kill the traditional D&D feel or the product), and you have one instant collectable and much sought after item.

yeppers....
What he said.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:15 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Add to that the fact that it really is well written

Indeed.  It's really a pleasure to read.  I haven't run it yet, but am assuming it would be fun and challenging.  

Bottom line:  this thing is gem.  If you got in early, you really scored.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:38 pm 

I am of the opinion that it should have been released as a harback, as previously postulated by TLG. It would have been a perfect match for Yggsburgh and have stood the test of time much better. On the upside, the boxed sets will get bashed and damaged and deteriorate a lot faster, which, seeing as I am a dealer better suits me. But with my collector's hat on, I would have prefered a hardback, and there could have been lots of battered copies of a well used hardback doing the round in 20 years time.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:49 pm 

I'd say if you ever see these at $50 snap them up. I believe that at $100 each they are a damn good investment (If you believe that doubling your money within a five year period qualifies).

But even spending $130 or so at this point is not wasted money for someone who wants to own and play this wonderful adventure. To appreciate it you have to like Gygax's work and the early AD&D type of adventures. If you do then Upper Works is a treasure.

I think there are more than 500 or so people on this earth who will absolutely treasure this item and frankly I don't believe there will be enough of these to go around.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:52 pm 

Ian, your avvy freaks me out every time I see it.  That looks exactly like one of my cats.

Personally, I'm glad it's in the flimsy box.  It kind of forces you to handle it with awe and respect.  Too many glossy hardback rulebooks and adventure supps out there already (although I do like Necropolis). :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:55 pm 

Agree with Jason.
Not enough of them for the folks who REALLY want them.

That said, they wont likely ever go below $100 in market value again and in 10 years time could easily go for $300 plus....
If copies for sale can even be found at all.

How likely is it that Gail G. will release her grip long enough to allow another release of the material in ANY format?
And I feel it is even less likely that it will ever be reprinted in anything like its current format.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:00 pm 

i dont particularly want one, but wouldnt have minded giving it a read....oh well you never know :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:30 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i dont particularly want one, but wouldnt have minded giving it a read....oh well you never know :)

Al

It's a lotta reading. 5 books worth.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i dont particularly want one, but wouldnt have minded giving it a read....oh well you never know :)
Al

Anyone in the Acaeum Texas Mafia would let you read it.
We each have at least one set. :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:12 pm 

*has to find a way to join the Texas Acaeum Mafia*

Hmm, TAM, or ATM. Hmm... either way, I don't think I like that acronym.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:08 pm 

And Joe Bloch continues his continuance, with level 5, "The Deeps" @ http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/20 ... lease.html

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:11 pm 

Be careful, ATM charges $2 a transaction unless you go through a Texas based bank :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:13 pm 

grodog wrote:And Joe Bloch continues his continuance, with level 5, "The Deeps" @ http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/20 ... lease.html

Bless this man.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:28 am 

I've been reading along each month as the updates have been released.  Excellent stuff - strong classic flavor to the project.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:51 am 

grodog wrote:And Joe Bloch continues his continuance, with level 5, "The Deeps" @ http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/20 ... lease.html

How do we get to previous downloads?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:18 am 

Aneoth wrote:
How do we get to previous downloads?

I don't believe that you can get the previous downloads once he posts a new one.  Since all of the changes done in the previous versions are included in the newest version, you really dont need them.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:19 am 

They supercede previous versions as the module expands. So when level 6 is added there will be a slight change in the colour of the cover and the new link to Rapidshare will be posted. Also, if previous revisions are anything to go by, those maps currently drawn in pencil will be in blue and white, and the new ones will be in pencil. Presumably the map creation is just a little behing the writing. All in all an excellent piece of work, and seeing as it's only been going four months, they are making fantastic progress. One of the best freebies on the web.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 32123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 303132