Upper Works review?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 32123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 303132
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:49 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Overseas eBayer corcorellis has won my copy of CZ:UW for $202.47.

Wow, incredible.  This thing is really skyrocketing.  Now I feel like more of a dope than usual after deciding the $45 or so BIN on that set that was up a couple of months ago was too high.  And to think it sat there for several days!

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am 

bombadil wrote:Wow, incredible.  This thing is really skyrocketing.  Now I feel like more of a dope than usual after deciding the $45 or so BIN on that set that was up a couple of months ago was too high.  And to think it sat there for several days!

How many "sure things" never increase significantly in value?  Buying CZ:UW at the end of 2008 was a risk.  It was available below SRP for a while, so a BIN at cover price did look expensive.

Jason Zavoda and others appear to be correct in their analyses of/reasoning behind buying and holding CZ:UW.  Maybe they should be discussing economic solutions in the OT thread.   :wink:

As soon as my Amazon copy sells or moves to eBay, I won't have a horse in the the CZ:UW race.  But I would enjoy seeing CZ:UW hit $299 at the end of 2009, perhaps coinciding with a 4E release from Gygax Games or reworked supplements from independent authors.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:30 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:How many "sure things" never increase significantly in value?  Buying CZ:UW at the end of 2008 was a risk.  It was available below SRP for a while, so a BIN at cover price did look expensive.

Jason Zavoda and others appear to be correct in their analyses of/reasoning behind buying and holding CZ:UW.  Maybe they should be discussing economic solutions in the OT thread.   :wink:

As soon as my Amazon copy sells or moves to eBay, I won't have a horse in the the CZ:UW race.  But I would enjoy seeing CZ:UW hit $299 at the end of 2009, perhaps coinciding with a 4E release from Gygax Games or reworked supplements from independent authors.

This kind of return is unpredictable. I buy things with 5 years in mind rather than 5 months. And sometimes knowing too much can keep you from investing. I managed a comic shop going on to 20 years ago, and I knew too much to invest in the Death of Superman comic. I could have picked up a 1000 copies wholesale (and our shops discount was 62% because of the volume we were buying from Diamond comics). But I knew that killing a comic character meant nothing, and the sales of superman were low. We had 7 regular subscribers to each of the Superman titles compared to over 100 for X-Men titles. After that issue and for the next 6 months we had 250+ subscribers to the superman and batman titles. We sold over 600+ copies of each issue the week it came out. Then of course all the speculation went BOOM! and the issue which had gone for $100 or more a copy was down to less than $7, then $5, then the comic market imploded.

What I did know was to sell while the other issues were high and dump them when the first signs of the bust started to show.

CZ: UW isnt going to bust and if the print run is truly low then the current price should be sustainable. Down the road I think this is a gaming grail and I cant see how it will be ever reprinted in this format. The owners of the rights are crazy not to get out another version as quickly as possible. I just think whatever comes out will be geared toward 4th edition and change the entire feel and content of the set.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:30 am 

$195.17

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0294964909

There is a BIN copy available at $199 (posted earlier), cheapest on Amazon was $249.  Did the others on Amazon (at $199) sell or get removed or raised in price?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:24 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote:$195.17

** expired/removed eBay auction **

There is a BIN copy available at $199 (posted earlier), cheapest on Amazon was $249.  Did the others on Amazon (at $199) sell or get removed or raised in price?

I sold it for $149.99.  My was opened and had some wear on the box and a couple dings to the books. I purchased it new but wasn't very well packed when shipped. The box set was just put in a box with no packing so banged around in the shipping box on its way to me. It wasn't in shrink wrap either.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:24 am 

Message removed due to drunken dwarf error.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:07 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:$195.17

Good to see that it is still holding around $200 despite the economy, 4E, etc.

One shrinkwrapped Amazon copy sold for $199.99 a few weeks back.

The shrinkwrapped copy currently on Amazon will fluctuate between $199.99 and $249.99 as my mood dictates.  :)  Or maybe I'll roll my four Zocchihedrons and determine a price.   :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:08 pm 

I was one SERIOUSLY lucky dude this week..

Was at the local FLGS, for a miniature gaming night, and happened to look over on a shelf next to the cash register.. and there was a copy of the Upper Works! Goggled a minute.. checked it out.

No shrink, one corner of the lid split. All contents fine. Price tag placed directly on box lid, of 39.95.

I asked how they had a copy.. unshrinked.. counter guy (son of owner, knowledgeable chap in most things) told me that a customer had returned it after getting it in the fall, and finally reading the thing.. and NOT liking it. he then offered to discount it by 10% more because of the box damage.

Um.. Thanks?

I bought it.

No intention of profiting by it.. this puppy is one that I have been searching for use!

-Porkuslime

2+2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:33 pm 

I've picked up a few copies of the Castle Zagyg modules and was wondering if anyone else has noticed if there might be 2 prints for Town Halls?  I have one copy where the ink is considerably darker than the other.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:11 am 

I think this is a print error in the covers due to the awkward brown colouring. I have an EMG where the colour is considerably lighter than the others.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:28 am 

Mars wrote:I've picked up a few copies of the Castle Zagyg modules and was wondering if anyone else has noticed if there might be 2 prints for Town Halls?  I have one copy where the ink is considerably darker than the other.

I only know of the two printings for this, GenCon first drafts 52 pages, then 2nd print 44 pages.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:51 pm 

These are going for over $200, yet no one touched this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0373048412

Any ideas why?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:57 pm 

Gus Landt wrote:These are going for over $200, yet no one touched this one:

Any ideas why?

My guess:  Because it's a BIN.  It's no fun if you can't outbid some other poor slob while hopefully getting a good deal.  No one wants to pull the trigger on a $179 BIN for a relatively new item regardless of its perceived worth.

Just my goofy two cents anyway.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:43 pm 

Gus Landt wrote:These are going for over $200, yet no one touched this one:

Any ideas why?

Because no one pointed it out here before I'd guess  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:04 pm 

He just relisted it (he is a friend of mine, who is a huge first edition D&D geek).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0375215458

I told him to add the 'make an offer' thing. :-)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:33 pm 

Gus Landt wrote:He just relisted it (he is a friend of mine, who is a huge first edition D&D geek).

I told him to add the 'make an offer' thing. :-)

I'd like to eventually pick one up, but not at that price. It seems to me that the dog is a bit wagged right now and I am willing to be patient enough to get one at a much lower price that what they are currently going for.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:05 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I'd like to eventually pick one up, but not at that price. It seems to me that the dog is a bit wagged right now and I am willing to be patient enough to get one at a much lower price that what they are currently going for.

What?  You're not going to Bclarkie-It-Now?  :)

Any wagers on the what the winning offer will be?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:54 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Any wagers on the what the winning offer will be?

Just wondering ... if it is newly listed as a BIN, why only list it for 7 days when 30 is the same price?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 32123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 303132