Upper Works review?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 9 of 29123 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 272829
Author

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1881
Joined: Mar 26, 2004
Last Visit: Jun 17, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:28 pm 
 

smarmy1 wrote:
WG7 wanks higher than any in Wome except perhaps for WGR3, Wary the Twaitor. :D


Bravo sir! :D  (He has a wife you know.....)


You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 246
Joined: Nov 30, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 29, 2009
Location: Boise, ID

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:11 am 
 

Very few things in life actually prompt me to sit down and write an email such as the one I am writing here.  But I am just so disgusted right now that I feel I have to say something.

Last night I spent no less than 3 hours trying to locate a copt of the Upper Works.  Effectively the product no longer exists.  The closest I came was a lead from Noble Knight games but I should expect to pay $75-$100 for it, assuming it can be gotten.

I don't pretend to know anything about game licensing....I don't.  Nor do I care about how such things works.  Here's what I do know and care about: At some point I purchased the 1st volume of Castle Zagyg.  Having liked it well enough and hearing about further releases of the series I was looking forward to the next release.

So what happened?  Is it because I didn't pre-order the thing that I am now sitting here scratching my head?  Or did I just miss the boat because there was essentially only a 30-day window to get this product?  What did I do wrong?

The thing that really annoys me most is this product still exists.  Someone (TLG or Gygax Games?) is doing a terrible disservice.  I don't know who or for what reasons but they need to get off their high horse and distribute this product.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6276
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 am 
 

napoleonsdad wrote:Very few things in life actually prompt me to sit down and write an email such as the one I am writing here.  But I am just so disgusted right now that I feel I have to say something.

Last night I spent no less than 3 hours trying to locate a copt of the Upper Works.  Effectively the product no longer exists.  The closest I came was a lead from Noble Knight games but I should expect to pay $75-$100 for it, assuming it can be gotten.

I don't pretend to know anything about game licensing....I don't.  Nor do I care about how such things works.  Here's what I do know and care about: At some point I purchased the 1st volume of Castle Zagyg.  Having liked it well enough and hearing about further releases of the series I was looking forward to the next release. Still very pleased to have a copy though. Will go well with my UW. Now I need to find DC.

So what happened?  Is it because I didn't pre-order the thing that I am now sitting here scratching my head?  Or did I just miss the boat because there was essentially only a 30-day window to get this product?  What did I do wrong?

The thing that really annoys me most is this product still exists.  Someone (TLG or Gygax Games?) is doing a terrible disservice.  I don't know who or for what reasons but they need to get off their high horse and distribute this product.

Well, from what I've read, it appears as though it happened like this....

EGG and TLG develop CZ:UW through 2006, 2007 and the start of 2008. Much of the delay due to troubles with EGG's health. A very limited release was made at GenCon in August/September (whenever), and there was much oohing and ahhing in the comunity by those lucky enough to grab one on the day. Then there was trouble at the mill (box maker) and TLG had a problem getting the product back into production, however, they took pre-orders through September, October and November directly through their website, and shipped to people as and when they managed to get the boxes printed to fill the orders. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, EGG died and the rights to his product reverted to his wife, and discussions began as to what happens to the Castle Zagyg campaign setting and all the associated products. At the beginning of December TLG managed to ship a reasonable quantity of CZ:UW boxed sets into the distribution chain, and on the run up to Xmas most resellers were shifting them at about $10 below retail (about $35 a pop). They sold like hot cakes because certain individuals ran around harping on about how rare these were gonna be, how low the print run was, and what an investment opportunity they would become (think Rappan Athuk Reloaded but with about half the print run). In the meaatime, during all these sales, EGG's estate withdrew TLG's rights to publish and gave notice to cease  trading the product line as of 31st December. TLG having shifted theor CZ:UW into the distribution chain, did not reprint, and drasticly slashed the cost of all their remaining CZ product in a bumper Xmas sale. And right on queue, ceased selling all CZ product (and pulled the PDFs) at the end of 2008. Now CZ:UW is an extremely uncommon product (particularily in the UK where only two dozen were imported by the UK's primary distributor), and it's set to become a rarity very fast.

I'd say, if you can get one for $75, give it serious consideration. Prices are likely to start there and begin to rise over the coming years. I'm sure any that pop up on eBay will be flagged up on the boards.

Aside....

I finally managed to get me a copy of Yggsburgh. Whilst it's credited solely to EGG, does anyone know whether it's wholely his work, or is it mostly worked by others under EGG's direction? Having complete's missed out everything he ever wrote after TSR (LA etc.), the writing style after the first chapter or so just doesn't seem to gel with me. Almost a shaddow of what I expected to find in the book.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 246
Joined: Nov 30, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 29, 2009
Location: Boise, ID

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:45 am 
 

Thank you for your post, Mbassoc2003.  No, I don't feel any better.  There's not even the satisfaction of cussing someone out.  Don't know who to yell at.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 321
Joined: Apr 07, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 02, 2018

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:45 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Well, from what I've read, it appears as though it happened like this....

EGG and TLG develop CZ:UW through 2006, 2007 and the start of 2008. Much of the delay due to troubles with EGG's health. A very limited release was made at GenCon in August/September (whenever), and there was much oohing and ahhing in the comunity by those lucky enough to grab one on the day. Then there was trouble at the mill (box maker) and TLG had a problem getting the product back into production, however, they took pre-orders through September, October and November directly through their website, and shipped to people as and when they managed to get the boxes printed to fill the orders. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, EGG died and the rights to his product reverted to his wife, and discussions began as to what happens to the Castle Zagyg campaign setting and all the associated products. At the beginning of December TLG managed to ship a reasonable quantity of CZ:UW boxed sets into the distribution chain, and on the run up to Xmas most resellers were shifting them at about $10 below retail (about $35 a pop). They sold like hot cakes because certain individuals ran around harping on about how rare these were gonna be, how low the print run was, and what an investment opportunity they would become (think Rappan Athuk Reloaded but with about half the print run). In the meaatime, during all these sales, EGG's estate withdrew TLG's rights to publish and gave notice to cease  trading the product line as of 31st December. TLG having shifted theor CZ:UW into the distribution chain, did not reprint, and drasticly slashed the cost of all their remaining CZ product in a bumper Xmas sale. And right on queue, ceased selling all CZ product (and pulled the PDFs) at the end of 2008. Now CZ:UW is an extremely uncommon product (particularily in the UK where only two dozen were imported by the UK's primary distributor), and it's set to become a rarity very fast.

I'd say, if you can get one for $75, give it serious consideration. Prices are likely to start there and begin to rise over the coming years. I'm sure any that pop up on eBay will be flagged up on the boards.

Aside....

I finally managed to get me a copy of Yggsburgh. Whilst it's credited solely to EGG, does anyone know whether it's wholely his work, or is it mostly worked by others under EGG's direction? Having complete's missed out everything he ever wrote after TSR (LA etc.), the writing style after the first chapter or so just doesn't seem to gel with me. Almost a shaddow of what I expected to find in the book.


Although I can't say with 100% certainty (ok, 99%), I'm pretty darn sure he was the sole author of the book. Having been a member of his gaming group for six years, I recall him having to call up certain bits of information on the computer while we were playing because it wasn't in print yet. I do believe most of his health problems began after Yggsburgh had been released.


Eulaliaaa!!!

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3795
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:08 am 
 

One just went on ebay for $45 or so.  It sat there for quite a few days before being BINned.


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6276
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 am 
 

napoleonsdad wrote:Thank you for your post, Mbassoc2003.  No, I don't feel any better.  There's not even the satisfaction of cussing someone out.  Don't know who to yell at.

Unfortunately, the whole future of Zagyg lies in the hands of Gygax Games. Rumours abound of possible publishing through some UK publisher (name escapes me for the moment... Evil Ferret or Wicked Weasel or some such rodent), but their history of poor quality product does not bode well for the future of Castle Zagyg or EGG's memory. Kinda like giving Disney the rights to James Bond.
Deogolf wrote:Although I can't say with 100% certainty (ok, 99%), I'm pretty darn sure he was the sole author of the book. Having been a member of his gaming group for six years, I recall him having to call up certain bits of information on the computer while we were playing because it wasn't in print yet. I do believe most of his health problems began after Yggsburgh had been released.

That's reassuring to know.
bombadil wrote:One just went on ebay for $45 or so.  It sat there for quite a few days before being BINned.

Wish I'd seen that. I'm sure eBay are now screening out US products on our searches if we're signed in to eBay.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3795
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:40 am 
 

Yeah, I hemmed and hawed over the price, thinking it was too high.  Fool!


Let mirth prevail!

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3795
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 am 
 

Here's the link.  I already asked the seller, and he doesn't have anymore.




** expired eBay auction **


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:45 am 
 

Troll Lord Games had Upper Works available for roughly four months, which is a shame, but not in their control.

Regarding who may be publishing: there is one misinformed rumor. As for known facts: Mongoose Publishing, through their label Flaming Cobra, will be printing, not writing, not editing, not creating, the new Lejendary Adventure rules. No one has said they have creative control -- they are simply acting as the means to get the products into stores, and into mass production. No one has said Mongoose will do anything with any other Gygax property, which includes Castle Zagyg.

The only other rumor that may have weight is that Paizo is picking up the Gord the Rogue reprints, as Troll Lord Games no longer has rights to those, either. But, again, there has been no announcement about such -- it is just something circulating based on opinion, hope, or fear as the case may be.

However, for any actual facts, and not just rumors, one should ask Gygax Games.[/b]


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:21 pm 
 

napoleonsdad wrote:Very few things in life actually prompt me to sit down and write an email such as the one I am writing here.  But I am just so disgusted right now that I feel I have to say something.

Last night I spent no less than 3 hours trying to locate a copt of the Upper Works.  Effectively the product no longer exists.  The closest I came was a lead from Noble Knight games but I should expect to pay $75-$100 for it, assuming it can be gotten.

I don't pretend to know anything about game licensing....I don't.  Nor do I care about how such things works.  Here's what I do know and care about: At some point I purchased the 1st volume of Castle Zagyg.  Having liked it well enough and hearing about further releases of the series I was looking forward to the next release.

So what happened?  Is it because I didn't pre-order the thing that I am now sitting here scratching my head?  Or did I just miss the boat because there was essentially only a 30-day window to get this product?  What did I do wrong?

The thing that really annoys me most is this product still exists.  Someone (TLG or Gygax Games?) is doing a terrible disservice.  I don't know who or for what reasons but they need to get off their high horse and distribute this product.


The local comic book stores here in the Dallas area had a couple of copies each just a month ago.  If I happen to find one laying around I will be more than happy to pick it up for you.


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:58 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
The local comic book stores here in the Dallas area had a couple of copies each just a month ago.  If I happen to find one laying around I will be more than happy to pick it up for you.


None made it here to Calgary (Canada), I am glad I got a discounted one shortly after they were released.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6074
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:42 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:None made it here to Calgary (Canada), I am glad I got a discounted one shortly after they were released.


If the Sentry Box didn't get any in, I would be surprised if anyone else in Canada got them.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:57 pm 
 

Mars wrote:
If the Sentry Box didn't get any in, I would be surprised if anyone else in Canada got them.


Nope, no copies at Sentry Box.  I asked and they told me they never heard of it. :?


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6276
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:32 am 
 

Here in the UK, Esdevium control the import route from the US. They are the big distributor that feed the majority of the UK RPG market. They brought in 24 units, the majority of which had been requested by resellers. When they went to but more from the US there were none available. So, other than individuals ordering from TLG, it looks like 24 units made it to the UK. Cougie did have a few on eBay a while back. I'd guess if any are likely to crop up at or close to RRP, they're gonna pop up in the US.

Have just managed to snag myself a copy of Dark Chateau. That said, it's from Infinity Games, and their reputation for being able to fulfil orders, and their amazing ability to package books for 99p and have them completely destroyed in tme mail, are legendary. So I guess the items I've bought could only really be described as reading copies. We shall see. I'm still on the look out for a minty copy of Dark Chateau. I'm surprised the usual suspects don't have any in stock.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Here in the UK, Esdevium control the import route from the US. They are the big distributor that feed the majority of the UK RPG market. They brought in 24 units, the majority of which had been requested by resellers. When they went to but more from the US there were none available. So, other than individuals ordering from TLG, it looks like 24 units made it to the UK. Cougie did have a few on eBay a while back. I'd guess if any are likely to crop up at or close to RRP, they're gonna pop up in the US.

Have just managed to snag myself a copy of Dark Chateau. That said, it's from Infinity Games, and their reputation for being able to fulfil orders, and their amazing ability to package books for 99p and have them completely destroyed in tme mail, are legendary. So I guess the items I've bought could only really be described as reading copies. We shall see. I'm still on the look out for a minty copy of Dark Chateau. I'm surprised the usual suspects don't have any in stock.


I got a copy of Dark Chateau 3 weeks ago at my local stroe(Sentry Box).  This one should still be farily easy to find.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 246
Joined: Nov 30, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 29, 2009
Location: Boise, ID

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:22 am 
 

Noble Knight now has one up....$95.  They rate it at Fair/NM so I wonder if the box is thrashed?

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6276
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:18 pm 
 

napoleonsdad wrote:Noble Knight now has one up....$95.  They rate it at Fair/NM so I wonder if the box is thrashed?

The box is probably the most vulnerable of the whole deal. It's pretty thin and trashy compared to what you'd expect nowadays from manufacturers. Either thay, or it's the bit that's NM and someone's been through the books with a sharpie. If the whole lot was in mint condition, I'd still consider $95 a reasonable price. I don't think it'll stay on sale for that long.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6074
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:35 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The box is probably the most vulnerable of the whole deal. It's pretty thin and trashy compared to what you'd expect nowadays from manufacturers.


The boxes are very weak.  I wouldn't consider any of the 3 copies that I have to be NM.  One has a broken corner and they all have little bits that seemed to have scuffed off the box cover.  I think it really would have helped if these were shrinkwrapped.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1594
Joined: Mar 08, 2008
Last Visit: Jun 20, 2021
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:08 pm 
 

Mine went from the Post right to the top shelf... and in about eight weeks already has some pretty wicked bowing to the lid.

Did I hear that some of the sets were shrinkwrapped, or were they all sold un-wrapped?

(Guilty admission, when I received mine I was pleased that it wasn't - since I only had ordered one set, I was worried that I'd have a tough de-shrink decision    :D   )

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 9 of 29123 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 272829