Upper Works review?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:54 pm 

Well our group is starting the delve into castle Zagyg today  :)

I hope it goes well

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:05 pm 

Jeff, are you guys using the C&C rules, or OD&D rules?  I would like to try running it with the original rules, and am wondering how much re-configuring it would require.  Doesn't seem too daunting a task.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:18 pm 

bombadil wrote:Jeff, are you guys using the C&C rules, or OD&D rules?  I would like to try running it with the original rules, and am wondering how much re-configuring it would require.  Doesn't seem too daunting a task.

]
C&C rules.

You could probably convert this one on the fly really.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:44 am 

Finished reading The Mouths of Madness last night.  Bears a certain resemblance to The Keep on the Borderlands, eh?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:52 pm 

Indeed! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:06 pm 

Sorry, Allan, you probably already mentioned that in your review, which I'm afraid I haven't read yet.   :D

Almost through the 2nd book, and gotta say it's pretty dry.  

The appendices are interesting and fun to read, though.  I really like the whimsical nature of much of what I've read so far.  Reminds me of how the game felt back when I started playing in the 70s, long before it began taking itself way too seriously.  This is also why I like Tom Wham's illustrations so much; they also capture that sense of humor the game used to have.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:17 pm 

So, does anyone know if TLG pulped their Zagyg product line? Or in Arran L sitting a box loads of surplus Zagyg surplus? Would be awfully useful to know.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:23 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So, does anyone know if TLG pulped their Zagyg product line? Or in Arran L sitting a box loads of surplus Zagyg surplus? Would be awfully useful to know.

I'd assume someone has it, but that's just speculation and what I think should have been done.  Course if so it would only pertain to their old stock, I don't see Upper Works having been printed more then the number of boxes they could get.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:05 pm 

One can only assume CZ:UW did not feature in that 'old stock' as it was not offered for sale to clear stock.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:One can only assume CZ:UW did not feature in that 'old stock' as it was not offered for sale to clear stock.

I dont think that the print run was likely large enough to matter in the long run. At this point I dont think it will take long for it to start going for more than was paid, at least once we have done with this economic fiasco. 2009, is said to be, a very bad year for the world economy. A terrible time to sell, which means a very good time to buy.

I look at the long run as two years or so past any great economic blows. Time enough for people to recover and start thinking about buying for fun.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:10 pm 

My copies of CZ:UW arrived today.  I look forward to reading through it.  But as far as construction goes, the boxes and books must have been printed on the really cheap (which also explains the price).

None of the 3 copies I purchased were shrinkwrapped.  In going through them, one of the bottom box corners was ripped through (although the top is box is fine).  Also, some of the book covers were not cut properly - there is the white edge that should have been cut off, etc.  From their overall construction, I think these will be difficult to keep in excellent shape (if they are used).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:45 pm 

Yet more reason to believe that mint copies of this will be a prized possession in the near future.

I'm currently reading through the 4th book (on the castle proper), and it's quite good.  Book 3 was a disappointment, but you can see the challenges and complexity are building in book 4.  Reading about allusions to the deeper dungeon levels below the store rooms really leaves you wishing we could have seen those as well in future releases.   :(

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:22 pm 

bombadil wrote:Reading about allusions to the deeper dungeon levels below the store rooms really leaves you wishing we could have seen those as well in future releases.   :(

Enough to make you want to go and buy a Mongoose product?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 pm 

What's that, Ian?  Was the rest of it published elsewhere?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:45 pm 

Nothing definite's known about "next steps" for CZ yet:  Gygax Games hasn't made any announcements beyond what's already been discussed.  The working assumption is that Mongoose will be publishing future CZ stuff, but we just don't know anything definite.  

Perhaps we'll hear something around GaryCon in March; is anyone planning to go?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:47 pm 

Guess I need to do a bit of catching up.  I hadn't heard about a Mongoose project, nor about GaryCon.  Can you provide some details on the Con, Allan?

Thanks.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 pm 

There's not a lot revealed in either case so far, Stephen, but here are the relevant links:

GaryCon I (7 March 2009 in Lake Geneva) @ http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Gygax Games/Mongoose partnership @ http://www.gygax-games.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=27 and http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/news/ ... d_news=258

Gail's holiday message seems to have disappeared from the GG web site, but you can see several quotations from it discussed by James Maliszewski on Grognardia @ http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2008/12/ ... ckens.html

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:40 pm 

Thanks, Allan.  I'm going to try to make the Con; was planning to visit my parents in WI this spring anyway.

Let mirth prevail!

PreviousNext