Upper Works review?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:34 am 

I might have missed it elsewhere, but has anyone posts a review of the Upper Works of Castle Zagyg? Thank you.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:45 am 

I have not seen any review, per se, but there has been clamoring about it on the Troll boards -- I don't look at most other RPG-related forums (like ENWorld or RPG.net) so I can't say if they're talking about it. I think many people are waiting for the pre-orders to arrive, like myself.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:28 am 

Yeah, I'm still waiting for mine, too. I'm just surprised we haven't heard anything from anyone who picked it up at Gen Con. (Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:37 am 

There have been no official reviews posted at RPG.net.  There may have been something posted in the forums, but I can't recall.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:00 am 

Okay can I have some clarification?  What is the item everyone is waiting for and why is it such a bid deal (limited edition copies or something?)?  I thought the Upper Works were already available or am I mistaken?

Damn: I hate being clueless 99.9% of the time. :)

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:02 am 

PaulKM wrote:Okay can I have some clarification?  What is the item everyone is waiting for and why is it such a bid deal (limited edition copies or something?)?  I thought the Upper Works were already available or am I mistaken?

Damn: I hate being clueless 99.9% of the time. :)

Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works box set is what everyone is referring to.  Troll Lord had a mess of them at GenCon but the item is currently listed for pre-order on their website so it isn't available to the rest of the populace yet.  I dont believe that the one sold at GenCon will be any different than the one directly purchased from Troll Lords website unless they decide to shrinkwrap it for shipping (they werent shrinked at their booth).  The big deal for most people, I assume, is that Castle Zagyg is supposed to be Gygax's definitive version of Castle Greyhawk...or at least that is what I have read.

Other publishers do the same thing with their pre-releases.  Goodman brought a bunch of the 4th edition Dungeon Crawl Classic titles to GenCon but you aren't able to order them yet from their website and you can't buy them in stores yet either.  Paizo is the one publisher that I can think of that already has new stock in stores that was previously only available at GenCon.

I bought it, but have only looked through it briefly.  I havent had time to really delve into it that much.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:28 pm 

Received it last week and am about halfway through reading it.  Much better than Yggsburgh and probably the best module I have ever read.  I loved all the old TSR stuff, especially Hommlet and the GDQ bonanza but this really blows that out of the water.  Kind of sad though, because it reminds you of how much better Gygax's stuff was compared to some of the stuff published nowadays.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:09 am 

Review (its the 6th post down.)

Apparently, it was posted to RPG.net too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:00 am 

Any word on when The Upper Works will be available to the non-GenCon attendees?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:26 am 

Pre-orders are being shipped, several people stating they've received their order -- so, right now.

If you're waiting to get it from a store -- no idea when that'll happen, since it depends on many factors which are not directly in the hands of the Trolls.

Also, Gustav has caused some slight delays, with it taking down the power for almost a week. This has caused Steve's inbox to fill, so he's working on sorting that out.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:48 pm 

I'll be posting my review soon (took a few days off from it to get a little extra time/perspective, and to have fun with the kids :D ).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:19 pm 

I just posted a review on my blog:

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com

Joe

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:07 pm 

Anyone know if Troll Lord Games intend to make this available to the general public? They don't seem to take international orders and aren't distributing either. They also never answer e-mails, which is not surprising since they must be inundated with people asking whether they are gonna get their fingers out and actually publish something. Is this a US only release exclusive only for certain buyers through Troll Lords direct? Or is there someone in the know who may be able to explain their colleagues failings in a fluffy 'it's not really a failure' kind of way?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:28 pm 

The release is in process of going to distributors -- it has been stated that they should have them near the end of November, and that is a should -- it depends on if the distributors have enough requests from their clients for them to justify the purchase from TLG. How long it takes to get to individual stores from there is unpredictable as it depends on where its going, how many were ordered, and so on and so forth. They have consistently had issues with the distribution channels (as have every other small press company,) which is why they've been looking for other means, like the book trade. Amazon is likely a non-option, but I wouldn't claim it is completely out of the question.

It is most definitely not "US only."

However, regarding the email issue -- this should have been resolved. I do know they were in process of switching over servers and systems so this would not happen. If there is a delay, or a non-response, it is likely due to the change not having happened, meaning Steve is still overloaded with emails. Its also possible he simply forgot to finish the switch due to work on other projects. I'll have to kick him.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:17 pm 

I have the C&C PHB and MM and Castle Zagyg Vol. 1: Yggsburgh but have held off picking up other items until the CKG is available.

I'm pretty sure that there must be others out there that is waiting for the "complete" set of main rule books before attempting to run the system.

If I was a small FLGS owner looking at what to carry as inventory I would want a system that is complete before I started ordering supplements for it.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:27 pm 

Work's been killing me the past 2+ weeks, so I haven't made much time for wrapping up the CZ:UW review.  I want to complete it soon, though, if only to put the thing to bed!  :roll:

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:44 pm 

They also never answer e-mails

The response I got was: it probably bounced (due to the email being full) so he never received the email. Doing a search through all received did not bring up the email I have for you (thanks to eBay) so that was verified. Please send it again. I have told Steve to watch out for it, and to make sure it gets answered.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:13 am 

I've sent a few emails about the LA Essentials boxed set I paid for and did not receive but haven't got a response either.  I filed a paypal dispute a few days ago as well and that doesn't seem to have warranted a response yet either.

I think TLG would really benefit with a better online shopping website that kept track of inventory and automatically calculated shipping.

Next