GenCon 2008 DCCs @ NK
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:07 pm 

zhowar wrote:Some notes on prices of these from Noble Knight:

The DCC The Golden Auroch/Tower of the Black Pearl 1E AD&D flipbook has been steadily increasing in price in their store:

In late August (when first offered) it was $10.95
Earlier this week it was $12.95
Now it is $14.95.

I assume NK has a "sliding scale" price based on how many copies they have left.

Saga of the Rat King appears to have stayed at the same price ($15.95). More printed or less popular?

Saga of the Witch Queen is $24.95 - I believe it was lower ($17.95? $19.95?) earlier the summer (before they ran out of stock and then re-stocked it).

Saga of the Witch Queen started at 19.95

I am not surprised. The print runs on these were only a couple of hundred. How many sold at Gencon, 1/2 or 1/3 and how many of NKs are already gone? I think Crazy Egor does something like a sliding scale too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:44 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:  What are your thoughs on whether there is sufficient interest in further 1st Edition AD&D Dungeon Crawl Classics adventure modules to warrant their conversion from their 3.5 Edition DCC counterparts?  

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Just to revive this thread a bit, and hopefully tacojohn is still reading.  

I'd like to see a nice 1E conversion of DCC#2 Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho.  I'm loving this adventure, particularly the whole undercurrent of the lost gods that runs throughout the module, and their eldritch corrupting influence.  This is definite swords and sorcery stuff that would fit well in a 1E conversion, and is a fertile theme to extend the module further, providing new material in the conversion.  For example the area to the north past 2-2 along the underground river could be expanded a bit in the conversion ...maybe the lost gods' influence continues through here after the events in the module proper.  

My other nominee for 1E converion would be DCC#14 Dungeon Interludes, just because there are a lot of nice adventure seeds and gems throughout this one, and a conversion of this would stand out from the previous ones - more of a 1E DM resource.  PLUS the format of the book would allow you to put in some new content unique to the conversion!  

From my comments you can guess that what I like to see in a conversion and IMO what makes the conversion really worth it is seeing new material not present in the original.  So looking forward to the next conversion special, whatever it is!

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 am 

islestrike wrote:
Just to revive this thread a bit, and hopefully tacojohn is still reading.  

I'd like to see a nice 1E conversion of DCC#2 Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho.  I'm loving this adventure, particularly the whole undercurrent of the lost gods that runs throughout the module, and their eldritch corrupting influence.  This is definite swords and sorcery stuff that would fit well in a 1E conversion, and is a fertile theme to extend the module further, providing new material in the conversion.  For example the area to the north past 2-2 along the underground river could be expanded a bit in the conversion ...maybe the lost gods' influence continues through here after the events in the module proper.  

My other nominee for 1E converion would be DCC#14 Dungeon Interludes, just because there are a lot of nice adventure seeds and gems throughout this one, and a conversion of this would stand out from the previous ones - more of a 1E DM resource.  PLUS the format of the book would allow you to put in some new content unique to the conversion!  

From my comments you can guess that what I like to see in a conversion and IMO what makes the conversion really worth it is seeing new material not present in the original.  So looking forward to the next conversion special, whatever it is!

Cheers!

Islestrike,

Thank you for the great recommendations for future DCC conversions - and you bet I'm still reading (and listening).  The Acaeum collectors are among the best supporters of the DCC line, and particularly so for the AD&D conversion releases.  The collective opinions expressed here are important to me because you guys have a very good read on the pulse of the old school gaming resurgence.  

Suggestions along the lines of yours and Mike's above (as regards to Into the Wilds), about specific areas of specific DCCs that are ripe for expansion and development, are really helpful for me because while I have a nearly complete collection of the DCC line, I haven't read but maybe 25% of them.  

Among the 3rd Ed DCC fans, DCC #2 has a lot of support.  I have to admit that have only barely flipped through it.  I'm encouraged that it would lend itself well to an AD&D conversion, and would be very excited to be able to offer a conversion of Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho with new, never before published material.  Of the DCCs that I have read, many of them lend themselves well to the addition of new and expanded material.

DCC#14 Dungeon Interludes would also be an interesting conversion project.  It's large - it clocks in at 88 pages - and contains "a collection of six related adventures designed to be played nonconsecutively over the course of a campaign".  As you point out, this format or structure would acomodate additional material rather well.  Of course, developing new content adds to the time it takes to bring one of these adventure conversions to fruition.  I'm not saying that it can't (or won't) be done - not at all.  Just that it probably won't be the next one I tackle, and that the lead time to develop it will be longer.  

Thanks,

tj

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:23 am 

zhowar wrote:Some notes on prices of these from Noble Knight:

The DCC The Golden Auroch/Tower of the Black Pearl 1E AD&D flipbook has been steadily increasing in price in their store:

In late August (when first offered) it was $10.95
Earlier this week it was $12.95
Now it is $14.95.

I assume NK has a "sliding scale" price based on how many copies they have left.

Saga of the Rat King appears to have stayed at the same price ($15.95). More printed or less popular?

Saga of the Witch Queen is $24.95 - I believe it was lower ($17.95? $19.95?) earlier the summer (before they ran out of stock and then re-stocked it).

Update on prices at NK:
The Golden Auroch / Tower of the Black Pearl is now $19.95 for NM (18 on hand); $17.95 for VG+ (2 on hand).

Saga of the Rat King is now $17.95 for NM (37+ on hand); $15.95 for VG+ (1 on hand).

Saga of the Witch Queen is still $24.95 for NM (16 on hand); $22 for VG/NM (1 on hand).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:02 pm 

The Golden Auroch / Tower of the Black Pearl is now $24.95 for NM (16 on hand); $22.95 for VG+ (2 on hand).

Saga of the Rat King is now $19.95 for NM (37+ on hand);

Saga of the Witch Queen - no price change.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:22 pm 

zhowar wrote:The Golden Auroch / Tower of the Black Pearl is now $24.95 for NM (16 on hand); $22.95 for VG+ (2 on hand).

Saga of the Rat King is now $19.95 for NM (37+ on hand);

Saga of the Witch Queen - no price change.

Should sell out before the holidays, IMO...get 'em while you can!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Previous