GenCon 2008 DCCs @ NK
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:16 am 

Badmike wrote:
Jon;

I know the interest HERE is huge.  I don't know how that translates among the non-old school crowd.  I really enjoy the conversions and plan to run them someday (especially Saga of the Witch Queen, which was a great adventure and great conversion).  If you used the limited edition model, I'm sure you'd sell out of the print run...whether this would pay for the time and effort involved I'd have no clue.

My suggestions for conversions would be #26 The Scaly God (probably my personal favorite); #28 Into the Wilds (nice beginning adventure that really deserves to be fleshed out more); #49 Palace in the Wastes....oh, and of course, if anyone wants to tackle Castle Whiterock itself...I'd be more than grateful.... :wink:

Mike B.

Mike,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm not in a position to speculate on this, let alone discuss it, in a public forum.  But, one way or another, I hope that I can build upon the strong draw of the AD&D conversion DCC's that Goodman Games has released to date.  

I'm glad you like Saga of the Witch Queen - it is kind of a favorite of mine, for several reasons.  It's also nice to see Into the Wilds getting some love.  That's a Harley Stroh adventure that I really haven't sat down and read through.  Probably should one of these days.  

I'd like to see all of the published DCC tournament dungeons converted at some point.  I think they're all probably very good adventures, and the OOP gaming community could use some "new" AD&D tournament dungeons!  

Another "must do" conversion in my book is the prequel to the Iron Crypt of the Heretics (DCC# 12.5) that has already been converted to AD&D.  Of course, that is DCC# 12, The Blackguard's Revenge, the first DCC I picked up and a solid adventure in it's own right.  There's a few "issues" with how this one would play out in AD&D, but I've given it some thought and I think there are ways to make it play "better" under first edition.  Incidentally, I've roughed out a third and final chapter for this story of the fallen paladins of the Ordocar.  Maybe I should finish that final chapter up, do the conversion of Blackguard's Revenge and publish all three together.  Maybe someday...

As for a 1E Castle Whiterock - are you kidding me??? :lol:
I've already got one mongo-sized 3.5 Ed boxed set that I've committed to for converting back to 1st Edition, for my home campaign.  Doing Whiterock on top of that other monster would likely take me almost to my 50th birthday!  Yikes that's a long time!   :P

Jon

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 am 

DCC#13 Crypt of the Devil Lich.....no brainer IMHO.  :)   The Blackguard's Revenge is a good one as well.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:58 pm 

Flip-book = 2 DCC's (One on the front, and the other on the back) ?

When were these first published?

A little background please, if anyone could...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:Flip-book = 2 DCC's (One on the front, and the other on the back) ?

When were these first published?

A little background please, if anyone could...

Yup, that's correct.  Two separate DCC's from DCC# 29 The Adventure Begins, the compilation of 1st level adventures Goodman Games released a little over a year.  The flip book was just recently published, and initially released at Gen Con Indy 2008.

My announcement on these Acaeum boards (Non-TSR) on July 27:

about7419.html

The official announcement on the Goodman Games site was made on July 27:

http://www.goodman-games.com/GMGGC08-2preview.html

Dungeon Crawl Classics: The Golden Auroch / Tower of the Black Pearl, a Gen Con exclusive featuring two 1E adventures in a "flip book" format.

Dungeon Crawl Classics:
The Golden Auroch / Tower of the Black Pearl
Two Adventures For Level 1 Characters

This Gen Con-exclusive "flip book" features The Golden Auroch on one side and Tower of the Black Pearl on the other!

The Golden Auroch: Evil has always blown upon the hot winds of Sumer, but never has there been a land as oppressive and intent on discord than Ur. For decades the people of this city-state were held prisoner by their mage-queen, Nicrotis, and neighboring lands quivered whenever her armies marched. Central to Nicrotis' power, both at home and afar, was her possession of a holy statue called the Golden Auroch. In time, the gods took notice and intervened, reducing the entire city of Ur to dust in a fierce sandstorm that lasted forty years. Now, a century later, the city-state of Akkad is in the midst of a drought of unimaginable length and intensity. Not a single drop of rain has fallen for three years. The only hope for salvation lies in traveling to the cursed ruins of Ur, braving the Tomb of Nicrotis located below them, and returning with the Golden Auroch.

Tower of the Black Pearl: Once every decade, the tides of the Empyrean Ocean recede far enough to reveal the highest eaves of a mysterious undersea tower. Long ago this was the eldritch fastness of a powerful mage, but now the tower is known simply as the final resting place of the fabled Black Pearl -- an artifact rumored to bring doom upon all who dare to posses it. Tonight the moon nearly fills the sky, and the tides have already begun to recede. The heroes have eight short hours to explore the tower before the dark waters return...

This adventure module was designed exclusively for Gen Con 2008. It will be available in limited quantities following the convention from Noble Knight Games.

Rules Set: 1E.

Related Products:  Dungeon Crawl Classics #29: The Adventure Begins

Writers: Andrew Hind, Harley Stroh
1E Rules Conversion: Jon Hershberger
Cover Art: Brad McDevitt
GMGGC08-2, 24 pages, $10.99

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:20 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:DCC#13 Crypt of the Devil Lich.....no brainer IMHO.  :)   The Blackguard's Revenge is a good one as well.

KoP - Absolutely agree.  DCC#13 Crypt of the Devil Lich must be converted and released for AD&D.  It is at the top of my wish list for such projects.

BTW, it was nice to meet you at Gen Con.  I would have liked to attended the Wednesday night Acaeum members' dinner and hung out, but I had another dinner that night at which my presence was kind of expected. :wink:   Maybe next year?

Jon

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:32 pm 

Ok so far so good...

So just to clarify that these are not reprints of old modules or Gencon events, but brand new modules altogether?

Thanks again.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:49 pm 

I've never had a problem with any of the PDFs GG have supplied to RPGNow.com, and I've bought them all, the whole damn lot. It's a nice little set, and the only thing I'm missing is the two new ones (already got #3.5 and #20.5 :wink: ) So I really hope they see sence and release them as PDFs.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:51 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I've never had a problem with any of the PDFs GG have supplied to RPGNow.com, and I've bought them all, the whole damn lot. It's a nice little set, and the only thing I'm missing is the two new ones (already got #3.5 and #20.5 :wink: ) So I really hope they see sence and release them as PDFs.

Did you get the DCC#35 as pdf?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:53 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:Ok so far so good...

So just to clarify that these are not reprints of old modules or Gencon events, but brand new modules altogether?

Thanks again.

Depends on how you look at it.  Technically the flip-book is a reprint of two adventures from the DCC #29 hardback.  But they have been reworked for 1st edition AD&D.  So in essence they are reprints, but for a different edition entirely.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:44 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I've never had a problem with any of the PDFs GG have supplied to RPGNow.com, and I've bought them all, the whole damn lot. It's a nice little set, and the only thing I'm missing is the two new ones (already got #3.5 and #20.5 :wink: ) So I really hope they see sence and release them as PDFs.

I asked this question (whether the 2008 Gen Con special releases will be released as pdf's) on the Goodman Games board. Joseph Goodman said that the pdf's will be made available on the on-line pdf sellers as soon as he gets a bunch of other pdf's posted on their sites.  We're probably looking at October.  

Hoep that helps.

Jon

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

I have DCC #35 as pdf, and do not have any issues with it.  I got it through Paizo.  It is thorough - there are pdf files for the Gazetteer and DM Guide with and without backgrounds and it even includes a 2006 Goodman Games catalogue in pdf which I guess was included in the "real thing."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:09 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:

Yes. It came in PDF form with my name lovingly watermarked onto every page. :cry:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:54 am 

Some notes on prices of these from Noble Knight:

The DCC The Golden Auroch/Tower of the Black Pearl 1E AD&D flipbook has been steadily increasing in price in their store:

In late August (when first offered) it was $10.95
Earlier this week it was $12.95
Now it is $14.95.

I assume NK has a "sliding scale" price based on how many copies they have left.

Saga of the Rat King appears to have stayed at the same price ($15.95). More printed or less popular?

Saga of the Witch Queen is $24.95 - I believe it was lower ($17.95? $19.95?) earlier the summer (before they ran out of stock and then re-stocked it).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:06 pm 

zhowar wrote:Saga of the Witch Queen is $24.95 - I believe it was lower ($17.95? $19.95?) earlier the summer (before they ran out of stock and then re-stocked it).

I paid $17.95 for Saga of the Witch Queen in late August, so the price increase was fairly recent.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:07 pm 

zhowar wrote:Some notes on prices of these from Noble Knight:

The DCC The Golden Auroch/Tower of the Black Pearl 1E AD&D flipbook has been steadily increasing in price in their store:

Now it is $14.95.

I assume NK has a "sliding scale" price based on how many copies they have left.

Saga of the Rat King appears to have stayed at the same price ($15.95). More printed or less popular?

Saga of the Witch Queen is $24.95 - I believe it was lower ($17.95? $19.95?) earlier the summer (before they ran out of stock and then re-stocked it).

Saga of the Witch Queen started at 19.95

I am not surprised. The print runs on these were only a couple of hundred. How many sold at Gencon, 1/2 or 1/3 and how many of NKs are already gone? I think Crazy Egor does something like a sliding scale too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:44 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:  What are your thoughs on whether there is sufficient interest in further 1st Edition AD&D Dungeon Crawl Classics adventure modules to warrant their conversion from their 3.5 Edition DCC counterparts?  

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Just to revive this thread a bit, and hopefully tacojohn is still reading.  

I'd like to see a nice 1E conversion of DCC#2 Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho.  I'm loving this adventure, particularly the whole undercurrent of the lost gods that runs throughout the module, and their eldritch corrupting influence.  This is definite swords and sorcery stuff that would fit well in a 1E conversion, and is a fertile theme to extend the module further, providing new material in the conversion.  For example the area to the north past 2-2 along the underground river could be expanded a bit in the conversion ...maybe the lost gods' influence continues through here after the events in the module proper.  

My other nominee for 1E converion would be DCC#14 Dungeon Interludes, just because there are a lot of nice adventure seeds and gems throughout this one, and a conversion of this would stand out from the previous ones - more of a 1E DM resource.  PLUS the format of the book would allow you to put in some new content unique to the conversion!  

From my comments you can guess that what I like to see in a conversion and IMO what makes the conversion really worth it is seeing new material not present in the original.  So looking forward to the next conversion special, whatever it is!

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 am 

islestrike wrote:
Just to revive this thread a bit, and hopefully tacojohn is still reading.  

I'd like to see a nice 1E conversion of DCC#2 Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho.  I'm loving this adventure, particularly the whole undercurrent of the lost gods that runs throughout the module, and their eldritch corrupting influence.  This is definite swords and sorcery stuff that would fit well in a 1E conversion, and is a fertile theme to extend the module further, providing new material in the conversion.  For example the area to the north past 2-2 along the underground river could be expanded a bit in the conversion ...maybe the lost gods' influence continues through here after the events in the module proper.  

My other nominee for 1E converion would be DCC#14 Dungeon Interludes, just because there are a lot of nice adventure seeds and gems throughout this one, and a conversion of this would stand out from the previous ones - more of a 1E DM resource.  PLUS the format of the book would allow you to put in some new content unique to the conversion!  

From my comments you can guess that what I like to see in a conversion and IMO what makes the conversion really worth it is seeing new material not present in the original.  So looking forward to the next conversion special, whatever it is!

Cheers!

Islestrike,

Thank you for the great recommendations for future DCC conversions - and you bet I'm still reading (and listening).  The Acaeum collectors are among the best supporters of the DCC line, and particularly so for the AD&D conversion releases.  The collective opinions expressed here are important to me because you guys have a very good read on the pulse of the old school gaming resurgence.  

Suggestions along the lines of yours and Mike's above (as regards to Into the Wilds), about specific areas of specific DCCs that are ripe for expansion and development, are really helpful for me because while I have a nearly complete collection of the DCC line, I haven't read but maybe 25% of them.  

Among the 3rd Ed DCC fans, DCC #2 has a lot of support.  I have to admit that have only barely flipped through it.  I'm encouraged that it would lend itself well to an AD&D conversion, and would be very excited to be able to offer a conversion of Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho with new, never before published material.  Of the DCCs that I have read, many of them lend themselves well to the addition of new and expanded material.

DCC#14 Dungeon Interludes would also be an interesting conversion project.  It's large - it clocks in at 88 pages - and contains "a collection of six related adventures designed to be played nonconsecutively over the course of a campaign".  As you point out, this format or structure would acomodate additional material rather well.  Of course, developing new content adds to the time it takes to bring one of these adventure conversions to fruition.  I'm not saying that it can't (or won't) be done - not at all.  Just that it probably won't be the next one I tackle, and that the lead time to develop it will be longer.  

Thanks,

tj

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:23 am 

zhowar wrote:Some notes on prices of these from Noble Knight:

Now it is $14.95.

Update on prices at NK:
The Golden Auroch / Tower of the Black Pearl is now $19.95 for NM (18 on hand); $17.95 for VG+ (2 on hand).

Saga of the Rat King is now $17.95 for NM (37+ on hand); $15.95 for VG+ (1 on hand).

Saga of the Witch Queen is still $24.95 for NM (16 on hand); $22 for VG/NM (1 on hand).

PreviousNext