Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 120123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 118119120
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:56 pm 

gyg wrote:As for shipping to Italy - ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get your parcel insured/registered/signed for/whatever - No aspersion on Italians but there post office is a black hole where parcels go to die!!

I beg to differ. Albeit I find amazing to defend any piece of the Italian government, Post Office included, I must say I have bought A LOT of things from the UK and so fare NOTHING has ever been lost in the past three years. I could be incredibly, amazingly, blindly lucky or perhaps some opinions about the Italian Post Office are exaggerated.

More, I must say they are getting really quick in handling priority mail for foreign countries - my last shipment of manga comic books to Spain (perhaps the buyer wanted them because they were not translated in Spanish...) took two days to arrive... Iknow because I sell quite a good number of things to France, UK, Spain, Germany, etc.

I know that British people have a soft spot for Italy-bashing - no denials please, I read the Economist every week and I recognize sniding remarks when I see them... I am sure my country has a lot of problems and the Italian government still more, but this time this scorn is not deserved... fully  :P

This said, an intelligent person always uses registered/signed for services when ordering something valuable. I do this all time here when I buy something of important, in Italy and overseas. Trust me, Spartacus, a registered letter/envelope/package will NOT get lost...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:05 pm 

I think it's been pointed out before that like Italy, the US uses 5 digit postal codes.  That might explain why items sent from the US to Italy go missing.  Personally, I haven't had any trouble with shipping overseas except to Italy.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:I know that British people have a soft spot for Italy-bashing - no denials please, I read the Economist every week and I recognize sniding remarks when I see them...

I'm British and my friends and I don't bash the Italians, I even speak it (a bit  :)  )
The Economist is not representative I would say.

The French on the otherhand...  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:14 pm 

I've had worse like US<->Canada than any shipping situation involving an ocean... packages all over Europe, Australia, Israel, Africa(?) all have been no problem.  40% of my dealings to and from Canada are a mess.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:33 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:40% of my dealings to and from Canada are a mess.

I wouldn't say that my percentage is that high - maybe more about 15%.  I haven't had any package lost in the mail yet and I've shipped out over 1000 in the past few years (over 100 so far this year).  Aside note:  these numbers make it sound like I'm a reseller - when did that happen?

In any case, most of my problems end up being from US buyers who think the package should arrive in 3 days or less from Canada.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I've had worse like US<->Canada than any shipping situation involving an ocean...

My experience is the worst is Canada<->Canada. I've never heard of so many things disappearing or experienced it first hand from any other service than Canada Post. Maybe it's gotten better in the last ten years (since I've lived there), but for a while, it was a gamble to ship without insurance.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:56 pm 

Eryops wrote:it was a gamble to ship without insurance.

Things may have changed.  The only method by Canada Post that isn't insured now is Letter Post and Light Packet which is basically Letter Post anyway - anyone know why Canada has this "Light Packet" option?

Even for international shipping, I believe everything is insured.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:57 pm 

I can only speak as I find.

I have personally lost money shipping to Italy, so I cover myself under ebays own rules. If I don't do that then I have no recourse in a chargeback situation.
If the extra I charge upsets Italians or seems unfair, then so be it, feel free not to bid on my auctions. I can only do what is best for me, and can hand on heart say this is nothing personal to an individual or a nation.

And, let's face it, even if you Alexander1968 have had no issues, I'm afraid that anecdotal evidence suggests that you have been lucky to this point. I am sure that you don't need me to point out that Italy is singled out in many auctions as a 'no-go' post area. This is not Italy-bashing, this is simply a common-sense decision, generally made by people who have had their fingers burnt in the past.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:21 pm 

So has the  name of this thread been changed then?

To:

Complaints about shipping overseas

For the past two and a half pages there have been only about 4 or 5 posts about what this thread is supposed to be for.

Most of the rest are shipping problems, mostly into or from Italy. :?

Now for something completely different....

Interesting NON-TSR Items Currently on E-Bay

Here is one.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The world setting for Erde.

That was the World Setting for the Castles and Crusades game.

At least it was before 2005 anyway.

The setting can be used for any Castles and Crusades Campaign.

It comes with an attached Large Scale Map.

(Perforated tear out type)

There is a LOT of data in there and was written by EGG and others.

I have two copies now (My second copy was part of a larger lot).

You can easily place the Town of Yggsburgh and the entire area of East Mark in the world of Erde.

After all, that is where it started........

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:52 am 

DW #2 @ $30 BIN, seems a bit high to me:  

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:07 am 

grodog wrote:DW #2 @ $30 BIN, seems a bit high to me:  

$86 postage has to be pretty close to a record for one magazine, in my recollection. Ouch!

Early DWs have nose-dived off the edge of a cliff in value in the past year or so which is a pity given the actual (very good) content.

I sat on the sidelines and watched Mark pick up #1-4 for $10 or thereabouts and that wasn't the only sale that went low. Probably worth more than double that price for the interviews alone in my book.

d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 am 

Please allow me to clarify some things:

The world setting for Erde. -- Yes, it is. It has been renamed "Aihrde" now.

That was the World Setting for the Castles and Crusades game. -- Sort of true. It was/is the setting used by Steve Chenault; the one Davis Chenault use is called Inzae (now known as Inzaa.) This has been true well before C&C existed, as it started as the setting for their AD&D games. When C&C was released, the setting was revamped and retooled for use with the game, so much of it is being "reconverted."

At least it was before 2005 anyway. -- As explained before.

The setting can be used for any Castles and Crusades Campaign. -- Yes, it can.

There is a LOT of data in there and was written by EGG and others. -- There is a lot of data, yes, but EGG did not write much, if any of it. There is a sample dungeon / adventure, I believe, but the world and its flair is all Troll.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:24 am 

faro wrote:
$86 postage has to be pretty close to a record for one magazine, in my recollection. Ouch!

Yikes, I missed that.  Sorry :oops:

faro wrote:Early DWs have nose-dived off the edge of a cliff in value in the past year or so which is a pity given the actual (very good) content.
I sat on the sidelines and watched Mark pick up #1-4 for $10 or thereabouts and that wasn't the only sale that went low. Probably worth more than double that price for the interviews alone in my book.

Thankfully, Tadashi is now moving forward in earnest on reprints.  I'll bump the TG thread once I know a definite timeline.

Pretty good North Pole ToMM w/$20 BIN (dogeared upper-right corner on cover and first few pages):

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:23 am 

Aneoth wrote:So has the  name of this thread been changed then?
To:
Complaints about shipping overseas

For the past two and a half pages there have been only about 4 or 5 posts about what this thread is supposed to be for.
Most of the rest are shipping problems, mostly into or from Italy. :?

Ehm, I agree but I did just one small post about that just to give some different spin on the matter. You know, a lot of sellers haunt ;) this forum (including me) and if nobody argues with 'Italy is Post office Hell' opinion, this will become an unquestionable fact and so we poor Italians will suffer...  :P I respect other people's opinions and I'm sure they have their strong reasons to say what they say, of course. It'0s simply that their experiences are not an universal norm.  Defending post office workers, it feels so strange...  8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:47 am 

No-one should ever consider sending anything to anyone urecorded and unensured. Both eBay and PayPal make it very clear. It is the seller's sole responsibility to make sure the buyer receives his goods in the condition in which they were sold, and be able to prove it. If anything ever happens anywhere in the process, the seller has to be able to recover his money from somewhere or accept a total loss. Whether the postal staff in one country don't give a sh"t or not is neither here nor there.

In my experience, declaring products worth £100 and shipping them to Italy will increase the likelyhood of them going 'missing', and recorded delivery means f"ck all to the Italian postal staff. If you stick a big sticker on your package that says 'Steal Me!', it'll go missing in Italy regardless of whether it's meant to be recorded or not.

When it comes to countries of dubious reputation, I've found the best way to deal with them is to refuse to sell to them unless you know the person you're sending to well. No disrespect to the Italian Postal Service staff who don't steal things, or the honest buyers out there, but I've had three packages go 'missing' in Italy, and only one in America, and that's out of six sent to Italy and more than eight hundred sent to America.

In my experience over the past four years, 50% of packages go missing in Italy, and it doesn't matter if it's recorded and trackable or not. If you declare it's value on customes, just write 'steal me' on it as well. Best thing I've found is to make your figures blurred.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:26 am 

The extremly rare non-official first D&D rules in french, released in 1982

Only few copies were sold

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:51 am 

I will make this one poast about my Italy selling experience.
One time I sold a small lot of items to one buyer in Italy.
Nothing went wrong.

Being known as a buyer mostly and seldom as a seller that may come as no surprise that I have only sent one package to Italy.

What surprises me is all the negative attitudes for Italian Postal service.
I suspect the trouble is not with the Postal Service, but perhaps customs instead...

Now back to something different.
I agree with what serleran said.
I oversimplified my post and he cleared it up nicely.

The world of Erde was indeed recently renamed to Aihrde with more data added over the past few years, and there is newer published data on Aihrde (Some of which I do not have) and I have not had a chance to compare that newer data with the Codex of Erde book.

And no EGG did not contribute heavily to the World Setting of Erde, but contribute to it he did and there is no question (IMO) that his stamp is on a lot of stuff that has come from Troll, some of the early stuff and most especially later on.

More Gygax stuff related to Erde can be found in:
The lost City of Gaxmoor. A super sized Ancient City/Wilderness Adventure Module. (134 pages)
Though not Gary....  the module is By Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax and David Moore.
Nice stff in there and it can easily be placed into nearly any world setting, though it was created with Erde in mind.
An Ancient lost City (very similar to an ancient Roman City) suddenly re-appears a thousand years into the world of Erde's Current Time frame.
Many horrid Monsters now occupy many parts of that city, though some former human city dwellars remain in other parts.

All of those guys played D&D together for years.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:26 pm 

faro wrote:... which is a pity given the actual (very good) content.

Agreed.

DW in general — and early DW in particular — provides a great look at the history of the hobby. It was well-written, graphically pleasing for its time, and avoided speaking down to its audience. Next to Space Gamer, which I have a nostalgic soft spot for, DW is my favorite of the old-school mags.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 120123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 118119120