Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 120123 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 118119120
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:29 pm 

It is a nice item though, even not interesting.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:05 pm 

Ringworld Companion, in nice shape:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-RINGWORLD-COMP ... 56388d896d

Same seller also has the Ringworld boxed set, for a starting bid that is too high IMO.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:34 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Ringworld Companion, in nice shape:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Same seller also has the Ringworld boxed set, for a starting bid that is too high IMO.

I am always glad to see an RPG item I have absolutely no interest in (and therefore no need to spend the money or find the space for...)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:39 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
I am always glad to see an RPG item I have absolutely no interest in (and therefore no need to spend the money or find the space for...)

My thoughts exactly, upon coming across these listings. I was a Niven fan in my misspent youth and owned the Ringworld RPG, but then re-read the novel and stories years later and couldn't figure out what I ever saw in them. Go figure.

I'm sure someone is looking for this one, though. The Companion especially doesn't pop up more than a few times/year.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 pm 

One wonders how many people ever played a second game of the Ringworld RPG.  :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
My thoughts exactly, upon coming across these listings. I was a Niven fan in my misspent youth and owned the Ringworld RPG, but then re-read the novel and stories years later and couldn't figure out what I ever saw in them. Go figure.

I'm sure someone is looking for this one, though. The Companion especially doesn't pop up more than a few times/year.

I saw more of them in 2009 than I've seen in the past five years or so. probably the economy.

The book itself is okay, though the ending is weak. It starts with an intriguing mystery that fails to live up to the expectation. Reminds me of Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
I saw more of them in 2009 than I've seen in the past five years or so. probably the economy.

The book itself is okay, though the ending is weak. It starts with an intriguing mystery that fails to live up to the expectation. Reminds me of Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.

Agreed. It's okay as far as so-called "hard SF" goes, but I can't fathom how it won the Nebula (Hugo I get). The short stories are mostly the gimmicky stuff current during that period. Once I began reading some of his predecessor's work, a lot of Niven's ideas stopped seeming quite so original, too, which was disappointing (but at least I found out what happened to Commander Suzdal's cats and the klopts ;).

Not to mention the matter of the Man-Kzin wars crap, of which I only read book one.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
Agreed. It's okay as far as so-called "hard SF" goes, but I can't fathom how it won the Nebula (Hugo I get). The short stories are mostly the gimmicky stuff current during that period. Once I began reading some of his predecessor's work, a lot of Niven's ideas stopped seeming quite so original, too, which was disappointing (but at least I found out what happened to Commander Suzdal's cats and the klopts ;).

Not to mention the matter of the Man-Kzin wars crap, of which I only read book one.

Niven deoes have some good work out there, but he is (or was) a prolific writer. "Protector" is an excellent story with a good concept. The Man/Kzin stuff was a neat idea (and it made it into the Star Trek universe)  but I never liked his stories. The short story series is an anthology of many writers so the quality will vary greatly.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:54 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Niven deoes have some good work out there, but he is (or was) a prolific writer. "Protector" is an excellent story with a good concept. The Man/Kzin stuff was a neat idea (and it made it into the Star Trek universe)  but I never liked his stories. The short story series is an anthology of many writers so the quality will vary greatly.

Yeah, Protector is okay if you don't mind Niven's total disregard for actual physical anthropology (as I recall, he had homo habilis appearing out of nowhere in the fossil record, which just isn't remotely close to the generally accepted interpretation, and wasn't even back when he wrote the book).

I was totally floored when I saw the episode of the Star Trek cartoon where Spock plays the Puppeteer and the Kzinti are Klingons (IIRC). I was simultaneously fascinated and repulsed.

IMO, shared world SF is the next best (read worst) thing to RPG fiction. I thought Thieves' World sucked, too  :roll: .

Anyway, I'll stop threadjacking :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:51 pm 

FormCritic wrote:One wonders how many people ever played a second game of the Ringworld RPG.  :?

I think might be said for a lot of rpg's actually..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:59 am 

FormCritic wrote:One wonders how many people ever played a second game of the Ringworld RPG.  :?

Irony -

My wife was opening boxes from our storage area today.

In a box labeled "Dishes, Need Washing" she found a stack of stuff from my pre-collector game collection.

In addition to Blackmoor and the other cool TSR booklets, she found...yes...a copy of the Ringworld RPG and the Ringworld Companion.

I own the game.  8O

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 am 

FormCritic wrote:a copy of the Ringworld RPG and the Ringworld Companion.

Let us know how that second game goes.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:56 am 

Hey, at least it wasn't actually dishes in need of washing! :lol:

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Irony -

In a box labeled "Dishes, Need Washing" she found a stack of stuff from my pre-collector game collection.

In addition to Blackmoor and the other cool TSR booklets, she found...yes...a copy of the Ringworld RPG and the Ringworld Companion.

I own the game.  8O

Are you one of those guys we're going to find in a episode of Clean House, or Horders?   :lol:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 am 

g026r wrote:Hey, at least it wasn't actually dishes in need of washing! :lol:

I imagined both, with bits of old lasagna sticking between the pages of Blackmoor.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:36 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Irony -

I own the game.  8O

Wow, I can only hope I have a serendipitous discovery like this still to go. I moved six years ago and for years afterwards was still finding lost hoards (One was a complete Dungeon mag collection, pre 3E).  Sadly I think all the goodies have been discovered.....but I wouldn't mind finding a Ringworld in a box of dishes!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:01 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote:
Are you one of those guys we're going to find in a episode of Clean House, or Horders?   :lol:

All too possible.  We closed out the storage area for financial reasons...and now I have a basement full of crap.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm 

Mars wrote:True, but it is still on my list of items to get :)  Most of which don't come around too often.

Mark, I've got a spare, happy to trade with you sometime :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 120123 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 118119120