Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 100 of 108123 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 106107108
Author

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2492
Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Last Visit: May 08, 2021
Location: France / Cité des Papes

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:29 pm 
 

It is a nice item though, even not interesting.


Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

 WWW  

User avatar

** Banned **

Posts: 1213
Joined: Aug 04, 2009
Last Visit: Nov 02, 2013

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:05 pm 
 

Ringworld Companion, in nice shape:



http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-RINGWORLD-COMP ... 56388d896d



Same seller also has the Ringworld boxed set, for a starting bid that is too high IMO.


Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 27, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:34 pm 
 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Ringworld Companion, in nice shape:


** expired eBay auction **


Same seller also has the Ringworld boxed set, for a starting bid that is too high IMO.




I am always glad to see an RPG item I have absolutely no interest in (and therefore no need to spend the money or find the space for...)

  

User avatar

** Banned **

Posts: 1213
Joined: Aug 04, 2009
Last Visit: Nov 02, 2013

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:39 pm 
 

JasonZavoda wrote:
I am always glad to see an RPG item I have absolutely no interest in (and therefore no need to spend the money or find the space for...)


My thoughts exactly, upon coming across these listings. I was a Niven fan in my misspent youth and owned the Ringworld RPG, but then re-read the novel and stories years later and couldn't figure out what I ever saw in them. Go figure.

I'm sure someone is looking for this one, though. The Companion especially doesn't pop up more than a few times/year.


Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 pm 
 

One wonders how many people ever played a second game of the Ringworld RPG.  :?


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 27, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 pm 
 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
My thoughts exactly, upon coming across these listings. I was a Niven fan in my misspent youth and owned the Ringworld RPG, but then re-read the novel and stories years later and couldn't figure out what I ever saw in them. Go figure.

I'm sure someone is looking for this one, though. The Companion especially doesn't pop up more than a few times/year.


I saw more of them in 2009 than I've seen in the past five years or so. probably the economy.

The book itself is okay, though the ending is weak. It starts with an intriguing mystery that fails to live up to the expectation. Reminds me of Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.

  

User avatar

** Banned **

Posts: 1213
Joined: Aug 04, 2009
Last Visit: Nov 02, 2013

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm 
 

JasonZavoda wrote:
I saw more of them in 2009 than I've seen in the past five years or so. probably the economy.

The book itself is okay, though the ending is weak. It starts with an intriguing mystery that fails to live up to the expectation. Reminds me of Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.


Agreed. It's okay as far as so-called "hard SF" goes, but I can't fathom how it won the Nebula (Hugo I get). The short stories are mostly the gimmicky stuff current during that period. Once I began reading some of his predecessor's work, a lot of Niven's ideas stopped seeming quite so original, too, which was disappointing (but at least I found out what happened to Commander Suzdal's cats and the klopts ;).

Not to mention the matter of the Man-Kzin wars crap, of which I only read book one.


Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 27, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 pm 
 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
Agreed. It's okay as far as so-called "hard SF" goes, but I can't fathom how it won the Nebula (Hugo I get). The short stories are mostly the gimmicky stuff current during that period. Once I began reading some of his predecessor's work, a lot of Niven's ideas stopped seeming quite so original, too, which was disappointing (but at least I found out what happened to Commander Suzdal's cats and the klopts ;).

Not to mention the matter of the Man-Kzin wars crap, of which I only read book one.


Niven deoes have some good work out there, but he is (or was) a prolific writer. "Protector" is an excellent story with a good concept. The Man/Kzin stuff was a neat idea (and it made it into the Star Trek universe)  but I never liked his stories. The short story series is an anthology of many writers so the quality will vary greatly.

  

User avatar

** Banned **

Posts: 1213
Joined: Aug 04, 2009
Last Visit: Nov 02, 2013

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:54 pm 
 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Niven deoes have some good work out there, but he is (or was) a prolific writer. "Protector" is an excellent story with a good concept. The Man/Kzin stuff was a neat idea (and it made it into the Star Trek universe)  but I never liked his stories. The short story series is an anthology of many writers so the quality will vary greatly.


Yeah, Protector is okay if you don't mind Niven's total disregard for actual physical anthropology (as I recall, he had homo habilis appearing out of nowhere in the fossil record, which just isn't remotely close to the generally accepted interpretation, and wasn't even back when he wrote the book).

I was totally floored when I saw the episode of the Star Trek cartoon where Spock plays the Puppeteer and the Kzinti are Klingons (IIRC). I was simultaneously fascinated and repulsed.

IMO, shared world SF is the next best (read worst) thing to RPG fiction. I thought Thieves' World sucked, too  :roll: .

Anyway, I'll stop threadjacking :).


Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2454
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:51 pm 
 

FormCritic wrote:One wonders how many people ever played a second game of the Ringworld RPG.  :?


I think might be said for a lot of rpg's actually..

Brette:)


Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:59 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:One wonders how many people ever played a second game of the Ringworld RPG.  :?


Irony -

My wife was opening boxes from our storage area today.

In a box labeled "Dishes, Need Washing" she found a stack of stuff from my pre-collector game collection.

In addition to Blackmoor and the other cool TSR booklets, she found...yes...a copy of the Ringworld RPG and the Ringworld Companion.

I own the game.  8O


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2070
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: May 07, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:a copy of the Ringworld RPG and the Ringworld Companion.


Let us know how that second game goes.

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:56 am 
 

Hey, at least it wasn't actually dishes in need of washing! :lol:


"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1607
Joined: Aug 19, 2008
Last Visit: Sep 22, 2020
Location: Chicago, IL

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:
Irony -

My wife was opening boxes from our storage area today.

In a box labeled "Dishes, Need Washing" she found a stack of stuff from my pre-collector game collection.

In addition to Blackmoor and the other cool TSR booklets, she found...yes...a copy of the Ringworld RPG and the Ringworld Companion.

I own the game.  8O


Are you one of those guys we're going to find in a episode of Clean House, or Horders?   :lol:


RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

 ICQ  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2070
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: May 07, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 am 
 

g026r wrote:Hey, at least it wasn't actually dishes in need of washing! :lol:


I imagined both, with bits of old lasagna sticking between the pages of Blackmoor.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7955
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: May 08, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:36 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:
Irony -

My wife was opening boxes from our storage area today.

In a box labeled "Dishes, Need Washing" she found a stack of stuff from my pre-collector game collection.

In addition to Blackmoor and the other cool TSR booklets, she found...yes...a copy of the Ringworld RPG and the Ringworld Companion.

I own the game.  8O


Wow, I can only hope I have a serendipitous discovery like this still to go. I moved six years ago and for years afterwards was still finding lost hoards (One was a complete Dungeon mag collection, pre 3E).  Sadly I think all the goodies have been discovered.....but I wouldn't mind finding a Ringworld in a box of dishes!

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com


Last edited by Badmike on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:01 am 
 

Invincible Overlord wrote:
Are you one of those guys we're going to find in a episode of Clean House, or Horders?   :lol:


All too possible.  We closed out the storage area for financial reasons...and now I have a basement full of crap.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5623
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: May 06, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm 
 

Mars wrote:True, but it is still on my list of items to get :)  Most of which don't come around too often.


Mark, I've got a spare, happy to trade with you sometime :D


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1381
Joined: Nov 03, 2008
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: My Pad

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:31 am 
 

Okay, couldn't seem to find the "silliest non-TSR" description thread... if there is one.



Never knew there was a Hill Giant Encounter group.



"Ugh! Me Og. Me... *hangs head in shame* me hill giant."



http://cgi.ebay.com/Hill-Giant-Encounte ... 45f05508f1

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3437
Joined: May 30, 2007
Last Visit: May 08, 2021
Location: USA Georgia

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 am 
 

SimperingToad wrote:Okay, couldn't seem to find the "silliest non-TSR" description thread... if there is one.

Never knew there was a Hill Giant Encounter group.

"Ugh! Me Og. Me... *hangs head in shame* me hill giant."


** expired eBay auction **




Those hill giant sculpts are problematic if the photo is just a little fuzzier.  What was the sculptor thinking? :?:  :wink:


Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 100 of 108123 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 106107108