Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 109 of 120123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 118119120
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:45 pm 

Thanks.  How would I contact Ken?  I would love an email, etc. to touch base with him.  The materials seem self evidently authentic as others here noted.  I am assuming the "newer" reprints that come along with a couple of the older things I bought are the reprints that upset people so much?  I didn't consider the bid to be for the reprints, but was wondering if that is what they are.  

Regarding values, I would definitely not expect you to be a buyer for that copy of Skinwalkers... so the value will ultimately be determined by the actual buyer and seller.  I am probably not going to discount it too much until I find a nicer copy for myself.  I am not anxious to sell it and if you are right, I won't have to worry about shipping it to someone else anytime soon!  Also, most of the people posting regularly on this forum are committed collectors who enjoy spending time looking for things and have the patience to wait for a better copy at another time.  That is not the definition of a typical retail buyer, by any stretch of the definition.  Granted, until the economy turns around (maybe in 3-5 years) there may not be many retail buyers... but they are not extinct.  /grin I probably am one for many things.  And, concerns about condition vary with the individual.  I have known many, many people who will trade down condition to save $5-10 because they buy books and games for use rather than to archive.  They have a right to buy any way they want to and if they are happy to perceive themselves to have gotten a deal, so be it and good for them!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:19 pm 

stratochamp wrote:are you going to check with ken st. andre to verify the veracity of the statements made by the seller?

I think the statements in the auction are probably true.  Although it does make me wonder how Ken feels about him selling off these items.  I believe Ken gave him a bunch of stuff but not sure that the intent was for him to sell it off.

Selling any copy of Skinwalkers for $150 is a high price but lots of retailers ask silly money for stuff.  I could list off a dozen items at Noble Knight that are priced much higher.  As for rarity it is rare but not obscenely rare and also not extremely sought after.  The market for these items is very small compared to TSR collectors and one of those bidders dropping out influences prices a lot.  At $150 you are looking for that one person to come along who doesn't do any research and just doesn't know any better.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:04 am 

Mars wrote:I think the statements in the auction are probably true.  Although it does make me wonder how Ken feels about him selling off these items.  I believe Ken gave him a bunch of stuff but not sure that the intent was for him to sell it off.

My understanding was that Ken sold him (from about 5 years back, onwards?) much/most of what he's been (re)selling recently. Do you know otherwise, Mark? :)

I didn't ask Ken that question directly but there was nothing to counter that, off-hand, nor in casual discussions with Rick Loomis.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:32 am 

Pipswich wrote:Thanks.  How would I contact Ken?  I would love an email, etc. to touch base with him.  

http://www.trollhalla.com/

Ken St Andre's own forum;  I never joined, so I don't know how often he's around to take questions.

Shanghai fun & friends!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:20 am 

stumbling tiger wrote:http://www.trollhalla.com/

The Yahoo email address there (mouseover "email") is still his current one, afaik.

02c, it might not be the best of times for some of those potential questions until it's obvious how things have panned out from the recent grief since, fwiw, that was always a possible source of friction in the past as Ken was very much in support of Outlaw Press with Rick Loomis, as noted, "rather less so"...

d.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:43 pm 

faro wrote:Do you know otherwise, Mark? :)

I bought a copy of Demons & Notmen from him (actually it was William's copy before that) and he said:

After spending all that money to buy a that copy of Demons & Notmen a friend (Ken St. Andre) was cleaning out his back room and gave me a second copy of it.

I am guessing Ken probably game him a few more things than just Demons & Notmen.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:26 pm 

Mars wrote:I am guessing Ken probably game him a few more things than just Demons & Notmen.

Nice bonus item, that? I think that /had/ been made reference to before: apologies for forgetting, if so. That's the trouble with giving people things - once they're no longer yours, you're no longer in a position to dictate terms and I'll just have to presume Ken didn't say "do not sell this" for lack of any further information. James sent me over some freebies, too, without any such conditions, anyhow, fwiw.
Has happened here as well, where people have been given items gratis only to see those being sold for non-trivial sums (~$100 in at least one case) a few months later. So be it, I guess...? :)

For the time being, I'll take as truth the understanding that much/most of what he's been (re)selling was actually purchased; not that that's really my business in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:03 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

$120 for 32 Kalamar books, many hardcover. Some of them are harder to find than others but I don't believe you can call any Kalamar book 'rare'.

For non-AD&D books I am mainly interested in adventures or interesting items and for me the Kalamar specific books or player books are useless and worthless. So 32 books, cut down by at least half, and at around $8 an adventure I can find Kalamar cheaper. But it is still an astounding amount of books from one setting to be sold fairly cheaply.

The seller also has a stack of Hackmaster books for around $75 but out of the 23 listed, 8 are hacklopedia (monster matrix was a little more sought after before the hackmaster backstock liquidations. 6 adventures in the lot, 3 harder to find S4, S5 and S6.

Both are fantastic buys for someone remotely interested in these game lines (but a reseller would have a hard time making much, if any, profit on them in the near future).

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-3-5-Kingdoms-of ... 4a9d7b61b8

Here's 19 Kalamar books currently at 25$

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:21 pm 

xRalphx wrote:

Here's 19 Kalamar books currently at 25$

This is the 3rd or 4th lot of these from this seller. Awhile back amberdexterity started selling large lots of kalamar and hackmaster (then some kenzer/necromancer lots).

There are tons of these out there and sometimes they sell for a reasonable amount (in wholesale kind of way) but they are filling a very large pond of wholesale kenzer material. Good in its way because gamers are being exposed to the material but there are so so many of these books sold very cheap that I can't see them as much of collectable for years and years to come.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:08 pm 

Seller hamilcar had Geomorphic Mini Dungeon Modules by Fantasy Art Enterprises for sale, which ended earlier this evening.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

They looked interesting, so I threw in a bid, but they sold for a bit more than I had anticipated, and to tfm.  Since tfm was bidding, I'm wondering if these were more interesting (or at least more rare) than I had thought.  Anyone know anything about them?

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:18 pm 

Bracton wrote:Seller hamilcar had Geomorphic Mini Dungeon Modules by Fantasy Art Enterprises for sale, which ended earlier this evening.

They looked interesting, so I threw in a bid, but they sold for a bit more than I had anticipated, and to tfm.  Since tfm was bidding, I'm wondering if these were more interesting (or at least more rare) than I had thought.  Anyone know anything about them?

I've seen Mars' set (before I shipped them to him). Rare, yes.  Interesting, no.  Just a set of crudely done dungeon geomorphs.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:42 pm 

Thanks, Mike.  I thought that might be the case.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 am 

FWIW, I disagree:  they're among the more-interesting geomorphs out there, since they leverage quite a bit more vertical movement as part of the geos.  

If you want to check them out, I designed a level using all of them @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh ... -small.jpg

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:00 am 

The FAE magical and technological item cards are much more interesting since they have some good classic Otus art.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:02 am 

If you are looking for a set of the FAE items, you could probably email Hamilcar direct and buy another set.  Chances are he has a bundle of them and currently has the box out.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 am 

I think someone was looking for this a while back.  May be remembering wrong.  Combat matrix / slide rule:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 am 

of course, this is not a tsr item. it was done by larry leeds.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:37 am 

I'm still looking for one.  The last few have all been in bulk lots.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 109 of 120123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 118119120