Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 109 of 120123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 118119120
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:08 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:That name leapt to my mind as well when I saw this. The guy is a scumbag.

:oops:

Well . . . scumbag or not, he is selling two rare items and not the questionable/illegal reproductions or the books with illegally-sourced art.

That sentence doesn't parse well, which means that I am trying to find an excuse to bid on his items.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:13 am 

While I don't support what he has done printing wise, you will see that I have bought some zines..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:55 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

$120 for 32 Kalamar books, many hardcover. Some of them are harder to find than others but I don't believe you can call any Kalamar book 'rare'.

For non-AD&D books I am mainly interested in adventures or interesting items and for me the Kalamar specific books or player books are useless and worthless. So 32 books, cut down by at least half, and at around $8 an adventure I can find Kalamar cheaper. But it is still an astounding amount of books from one setting to be sold fairly cheaply.

The seller also has a stack of Hackmaster books for around $75 but out of the 23 listed, 8 are hacklopedia (monster matrix was a little more sought after before the hackmaster backstock liquidations. 6 adventures in the lot, 3 harder to find S4, S5 and S6.

Both are fantastic buys for someone remotely interested in these game lines (but a reseller would have a hard time making much, if any, profit on them in the near future).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:26 am 

Marc Miller's Traveller (T4) lot:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:03 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:Some of them are harder to find than others but I don't believe you can call any Kalamar book 'rare'.

I've been having a tough time finding the pre-d20 Kalamar adventures.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
I've been having a tough time finding the pre-d20 Kalamar adventures.

The mini booklets? I remember getting a set from Jolly back at a Shorecon convention in Cherry Hill NJ years ago.

They, of course, had tons at the time but how many were tossed rather than saved. They were these small booklets so resellers had a hard time getting anything for them individually. They were probably dumped as odd lot items.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:51 pm 

I think I have the booklets, Histy. I failed to go get my Kasar out yet, so I'll get it right now and see if I can find the booklets too.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:52 pm 

Yep, those are the ones I mean.  Coincidentally, I found one of them today for a couple bucks.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:23 pm 

Overpriced Skinwalkers and Shapeshifters, but very rare

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:07 pm 

i would say that this is rare to find in excellent shape. and this one is most certainly not in excellent shape, as the cover is loose (oops). personally i wouldn't pay 14.99 for it in this condition. if an item has dubious historical value (i.e. not a brown box or some other extremely rare item) it's hard to justify an exorbitant price unless it is in fabulous shape. my two cents.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:35 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Overpriced Skinwalkers and Shapeshifters, but very rare

Pip's had that up before, and IIRC at the same price.  Hoping for someone with a pile of unspent holiday gift money, p'haps?

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:29 pm 

The list of people willing to pay $150 (or maybe even $100+) for a general nonTSR item is very short these days.

My copy of Skinwalkers isn't the best shape but the price was right at the time.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:42 pm 

It's rare.  Someone may want it.  It cost .03 a month to list it.  I don't expect the value will go down.... so eventually it will sell.  As surprising as it may be to some, at .03 a month and for minimal shelf space, the turn around time doesn't need to be faster than .... oh say 200 years or so.  Bet it sells before then!  Although, I have been known to do 20% sales and/or to occasionally run some items at auction just for kicks. I also usually adjust things up for inflation every now and then if they are actually rare.  In any event, I bet it won't be around for even a decade and it shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings too look at it.

If you are convinced it's worth only a few bucks... stick one up for auction while this listing is active.  If it does a ton... you may help sell mine and if it doesn't... mine might help you get more than you think yours is worth.   :D

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:45 am 

JohnGaunt wrote: :oops:

Well . . . scumbag or not, he is selling two rare items and not the questionable/illegal reproductions or the books with illegally-sourced art.

That sentence doesn't parse well, which means that I am trying to find an excuse to bid on his items.

The Elemental Solo looks real to me But I suspect it will sell too high for me to compete.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 pm 

Skinwalkers should run about $40-50 or so in decent used shape. I can't think of anyone who would pay over a hundred bucks for one, even a gem mint one.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:05 pm 

pipswich, i think YOUR copy is not worth very much since the cover is off. if the cover is off, i believe an item should be considered no better than fair condition. btw, congratulations on winning the tunnels & trolls auction. are you going to check with ken st. andre to verify the veracity of the statements made by the seller?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:45 pm 

Thanks.  How would I contact Ken?  I would love an email, etc. to touch base with him.  The materials seem self evidently authentic as others here noted.  I am assuming the "newer" reprints that come along with a couple of the older things I bought are the reprints that upset people so much?  I didn't consider the bid to be for the reprints, but was wondering if that is what they are.  

Regarding values, I would definitely not expect you to be a buyer for that copy of Skinwalkers... so the value will ultimately be determined by the actual buyer and seller.  I am probably not going to discount it too much until I find a nicer copy for myself.  I am not anxious to sell it and if you are right, I won't have to worry about shipping it to someone else anytime soon!  Also, most of the people posting regularly on this forum are committed collectors who enjoy spending time looking for things and have the patience to wait for a better copy at another time.  That is not the definition of a typical retail buyer, by any stretch of the definition.  Granted, until the economy turns around (maybe in 3-5 years) there may not be many retail buyers... but they are not extinct.  /grin I probably am one for many things.  And, concerns about condition vary with the individual.  I have known many, many people who will trade down condition to save $5-10 because they buy books and games for use rather than to archive.  They have a right to buy any way they want to and if they are happy to perceive themselves to have gotten a deal, so be it and good for them!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:19 pm 

stratochamp wrote:are you going to check with ken st. andre to verify the veracity of the statements made by the seller?

I think the statements in the auction are probably true.  Although it does make me wonder how Ken feels about him selling off these items.  I believe Ken gave him a bunch of stuff but not sure that the intent was for him to sell it off.

Selling any copy of Skinwalkers for $150 is a high price but lots of retailers ask silly money for stuff.  I could list off a dozen items at Noble Knight that are priced much higher.  As for rarity it is rare but not obscenely rare and also not extremely sought after.  The market for these items is very small compared to TSR collectors and one of those bidders dropping out influences prices a lot.  At $150 you are looking for that one person to come along who doesn't do any research and just doesn't know any better.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 109 of 120123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 118119120