Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 120123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 118119120
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:21 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/JORUNE-MAUSTIN-CAJI ... 0364845793

Jorune Maustin Caji!

But US only...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Jorune Maustin Caji!
But US only...

Hmm... thanks for the spot, but what's missing?

(Asked to check...).

Making that 7 or 8 on WPG?!, btw, thanks to those three rapid-fire sales. That most recent one was rather cheap and thankfully doesn't have staple rust like their 2rd DG had...

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 pm 

missing?

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:29 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:missing?

Possibly a colour cover.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:34 pm 

for those interested..
"IF YOU HAVE IT SHIPPED IN U.S. IT'S FINE WITH ME!"

Have to add you to the exceptions list though..

Brette:)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:08 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:missing?

To have the supplement without the core book... thus far, anyhow.
Would be an interesting background if the seller managed that, given the publication history.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:03 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Did neither of you see this from the same seller???

Anyone want to take a guess on the end price of this one?

Well that went for some big bucks! $331  8O  :o

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:10 pm 

Yeah, that surprised me too.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:26 pm 

bombadil wrote:Yeah, that surprised me too.

Just a little bit high IMO. Was expecting $250 or thereabouts (several sales around that mark in the past) and possibly closer to $300 given that it's a sweet-looking copy and there haven't been many up recently.
17.5/20.5 were also doing rather well on the last few outings.

=

Heh... no core Jorune 1e rulebook to go with Maustin Caji. "Lost in time" to the original owner, I'd guess.
I'm still surprised that's no more than four or five(?) copies of each known, given how well it was advertised in TD.
Anyone else with either of those?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:01 pm 

Plaag wrote:
$217

And about what the auction says regarding GenCon only, this was offered to the members of the old Blackmoor forums (before Code Monkey) if they couldn't make it to GenCon, but I'm not sure if that came about.

ShaneG.

Only off by over $100.00.  And I thought it was a solid guess. :?  It's the Acaeum effect!

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 am 

faro wrote:
To have the supplement without the core book... thus far, anyhow.
Would be an interesting background if the seller managed that, given the publication history.

Are you saying that Maustin Caji and the 1st Edition book are usually found together? Heck, Since I have started collecting I have never seen either of these on ebay. Someone found one on Amazon, but paid an arm and a leg.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:52 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Are you saying that Maustin Caji and the 1st Edition book are usually found together?

Would be just as strange to walk into a second-hand bookshop and find Siegewheel of the Blue Goblins lying around by itself. (Well, more likely if being used as a bookmark, I guess... :lol:).

HermitFromPluto wrote:Heck, Since I have started collecting I have never seen either of these on ebay. Someone found one on Amazon, but paid an arm and a leg.

Two copies of the 1e rules this year; one of which had a mini-poster, postcard(!) and errata sheet.

=

[edit] 1e != (A)D&D always *g*

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:22 am 

faro wrote:Two copies of the 1e rules this year; one of which had a mini-poster, postcard(!) and errata sheet.

yes yes i saw...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:29 pm 

Very nice HTF Lovecraft festival poster!

I bought one several month ago. These posters are very "lovecraftian" style.

I remember when I posted them in Recent fun finds that some people were interested in getting one.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:57 pm 

Mechanoid invasion lot

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:19 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:I remember when that item was discussed on the Yog-Sothoth forum.
The excitement was fueled when Sandy Petersen commented on the item with the following quote:

The American Gothic was an Alpha.  The Beta was a homebrew set of rules that had Mythos knowledge and other things in it that Sandy did (I played a Lumberjack, a defrocked Jesuit Priest and perhaps one other character that all came to bad ends.  The lumberjack was amazing as it was a natural 18 str that I rolled for him and he actually beat a mythos creature by physical force, which was terribly unnatural).

Then Sandy switched it over to a system that worked off of the Basic Role Playing framework and next you know it is a complete game from Chaosium.

That was fun to play too, even though Sandy fixed the holes in the rules I was exploiting it remains fun to play.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:24 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Actually, it was the Cthulhu fanbase that thought this was something much more than it actually was.

I had this original, typed, partial ms. from Steve, along with 1000's of other sheets all jumbled together. When I asked Steve what this was he told me about American Gothic and how the manuscript contained many of the original concepts of the game, many developed hand-in-hand with Sandy Peterson. He also told me it was pre-Call of Cthulhu. All of that is accurate. However, that is not the whole story.

The manuscript is actually an installment of his ongoing mini-fanzine, The Cupric Text (a nod to Steve's City of of the Revenaunt campaign), that ran in The Wild Hunt (IIRC).

The ms. sold for about $40 and was water under the bridge for the D&D collecting community. Then a few days after, the Call of Cthulhu fanbase discovered the ended auction and were bemoaning the fact that they had missed out on something they thought was "important". They talked it up quite a bit and even tendered some buy-out offers to Invincible Overlord in the hundreds of dollars range.

Then it came to light what the original ms. really was: a fanzine article by Steve containing some concepts of American Gothic. Still, the ms. is pre-Call of Cthulhu and it does contain developmental concepts from American Gothic. The critical missing bit of information is that it is an original ms. for Steve's The Cupric Text, mini-fanzine.

It turned out that the 1st page of the ms. was accidentally mixed into another collection of mss. Thus, the discovery of my oversight. The error was mine and I failed to connect the dots on this particular item. Had I pressed Steve further, or had a collection of The Wild Hunt, I may have come to a more accurate identification.

When I offered to buy it back from Invincible Overlord he politely declined and said he would hang on to it, feeling the purchase price was equal to it's value. Simply adding "from Mini-fanzine, The Cupric Text 1977" to the Letter of Authentication would clarify the matter.

You'll note that the Authentication Letter has my contact information on it so that these sorts of things can be verified. To date no one has contacted me about this item, although I have sent a note to the seller.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Actually, that was as much development as I did for American Gothic.

My apologies for the messy state of everything, only an archeologist could have made sense of it.

I apologize for any mistakes or problems caused by documents getting mixed together.  I'm afraid I wasn't much for good indexing or headers in those days.  Now I use them all the time.

But, that is the difference between typewriter and carbon paper and using a computer.

Regards,

Stephen

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:29 pm 

Thanks for the interesting anecdote. I never met Sandy but a friend of mine did at a Gencon in Milwaukee back in the mid-80's. He commented about how "hyper" Sandy was when he was talking about the hardcover 3rd edition of Call of Cthulhu.
It was nice to hear how excited the designer of the system was even after multiple iterations.  :D

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 120123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 118119120