Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 120123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 118119120
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:55 pm 

Avurax wrote:Role Aids lot of Fez I, Beastmaker Mountain and Nanorien Stones.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

No mention of the order form sheets included with these.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:33 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
now you do realise, thats almost like calling someone chicken....

:twisted:

I'd be stunned if it stays within my price range anyway.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 am 

Beastmaker Mountain in the red folder has to be one of my favourites.
Had some interesting noises from MG about releasing these 5 tourneys on CD, but then all went quiet.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:37 am 

How do the five early Role Aids (in colored folders) rate on the rarity scale?

I've recently been wondering how the various non-TSR items would rank compared to the other Rares.  Are some of them legitimately 4s or 5s?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:10 am 

TheHistorian wrote:How do the five early Role Aids (in colored folders) rate on the rarity scale?

I've recently been wondering how the various non-TSR items would rank compared to the other Rares.  Are some of them legitimately 4s or 5s?

well kobold hall and blasted land are really hard to get your hands on in nice condition. i am so damn glad i am not after them no more for sure, though i would like to get hold of real nice copies of each too (mine are prb VG or slightly better than that).

beastmaker mountain i would say is on the upperside of uncommon and nanorien and fez I crops up now then.

they are all quite popular, but the prices generally scale as above too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:27 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Are some of them legitimately 4s or 5s?

By looking at other items that are 4s and 5s, I would say that Blasted Lands and Kobold Hall are also in that range.  I probably disagree with the rarity ratings assigned to a number of the items listed or maybe the scale is just too condensed.

If you wanted to add small press 3rd party items to the list, a number of them would probably have a rarity of 6-8.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:02 am 

Does this usually go this high?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pavis-Big-Rubble-Is ... 7C294%3A50

Kind of surprising since it is essentially just a reprint.  If I was serious about collecting Runequest I would much rather have the originals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Runequest-Big-Rubbl ... 7C294%3A50

I dont know how much the Pavis set goes for but I assume it is comparable.  Are the Moon Design reprints significantly rarer?  Or is this just an abberation in price?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Does this usually go this high?

Kind of surprising since it is essentially just a reprint.  If I was serious about collecting Runequest I would much rather have the originals.

I dont know how much the Pavis set goes for but I assume it is comparable.  Are the Moon Design reprints significantly rarer?  Or is this just an abberation in price?

The reprints might be rarer, but who cares? Anyone would rather have the boxed sets with all the maps, etc.  than the large softbacks.  You could get a nice boxed Big Rubble and Pavis box for less than that.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:22 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:How do the five early Role Aids (in colored folders) rate on the rarity scale?

Low-mid "4"s at best, IMHO; but "4"/"5" cover a wide and overlapping range on the Acaeum list.
Need to remember, too, that not all the "core" items have been entered on that list; q.v. suggestions on viewtopic.php?p=57054#57054 for a start.

TheHistorian wrote:I've recently been wondering how the various non-TSR items would rank compared to the other Rares.  Are some of them legitimately 4s or 5s?

Mark's reply gets a smile. Yeah, plenty non-TSR items where the "only known copy" (rate that on a "1" to "5" scale however you will) is worth all of $10.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:28 pm 

I'd place them between 3 and 4 on rarity scale. Fez I and Nanorien Stones being 3s as they are fairly regular apearances on eBay, the others maybe reaching a conservative 3.5 or 4.

What sways perception is that they are very desirable items, because they are distinctive in appearance, there's only 5 in the set, and they are all fairly well written.

Rarity 3-4
Desirability 4-5
Value For Money 4

In this case, note that they are written in, so I would consider the folder condition to be a good selling point for those wishing to refolder other copies, but the modules are only really in fair to good condition and should be valued down accordingly. A good starting point, but not really collector quality.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:13 pm 

faro wrote:Mark's reply gets a smile. Yeah, plenty non-TSR items where the "only known copy" (rate that on a "1" to "5" scale however you will) is worth all of $10.

True in many many cases - rarity and value often not tied too tightly together.

Some of the level 5 items, I would question:

Dragon Dice
Percentile Generators
Dungeon Floor Plans

I would probably question the rarity of:

Lost Caverns of Tsojconth
Palace of the Vampire Queen
Lost Tamoachan

For Lost Tamoachan, the Acaeum lists that 48 copies are account for already - probably add a few more since the update.  They just don't seem in the same category as something like the Prepub versions or Strategic Preview where less than 10 (?) copies are known to exist.

I have been thinking about adding a "my impression of rarity" to nonTSR items but it would be a bit more critical on how many copies I thought were out there and the number of sources where you could find them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:59 pm 

Mars wrote:
True in many many cases - rarity and value often not tied too tightly together.

Some of the level 5 items, I would question:

Dragon Dice
Percentile Generators
Dungeon Floor Plans

I would probably question the rarity of:

Lost Caverns of Tsojconth
Palace of the Vampire Queen
Lost Tamoachan

For Lost Tamoachan, the Acaeum lists that 48 copies are account for already - probably add a few more since the update.  They just don't seem in the same category as something like the Prepub versions or Strategic Preview where less than 10 (?) copies are known to exist.

I have been thinking about adding a "my impression of rarity" to nonTSR items but it would be a bit more critical on how many copies I thought were out there and the number of sources where you could find them.

Well, if eBay is anything to go by, there are far more PoVQs that there are Beastmaker Mountains. Rarity in the Acaeum TSR index is a throwback from the Usenet days, and is actually more likely a scale of desirability to a collector than rarity. It's just that no-one takes any notice of it anymore, and no-one has been bothered to either update it or delete. That would be acknowledging its redundancy which detracts from the Acaeum's original intent. The collected wisdom and the community are still relevant today, but the valuations and the rarity/collectability are so woefully inadequate that they should be put out to grass. The resources and software needed to do the job justice are not within the boards' grasp.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:07 pm 

Mars wrote:...how many copies I thought were out there and the number of sources where you could find them...

There's the rub. Well, one of them, at least.

Even an old hypothetical product (Pshaw's character generator or Walnark's tourney mods, say) has the potential for the author or primary distributor to be sitting on a number of copies that is large relative to the number that are known in the wild.
So, is rarity indicative of the known number of copies or believed number of copies where a currently "rare" item ("4") has more than just a far greater /potential/ to soften by one or even two grades ("4A" or "4B" vs. "3" or "2"?).
- How does one factor in high value/known historical rarity/core collectability where that's likely to have ensured a higher ratio of the /actual/ number of copies left is known to the collecting community (Tamo and Inverness, for example, where the next 30-40 copies are highly unlikely to "appear overnight").
- Or completeness? How complete does that 3rd woodgrain need to be to be counted? Is just a cover of a GW character sheet pad plus one sheet still attached enough to count (albeit as an "imperfect" copy)?
- Or conflation of separate prints? PotVQs are distinctive and it's easier to adopt a "gotta catch 'em all" approach vs. separate prints of the OD&D supplements, for example.

The closet geeks haven't really come out to play either on this or grading for various reasons including Ian's noted "historical baggage" and the perceived need to create a standard which does not require further clarification or refinement at a later date.

Same old, anyhow... :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:31 pm 

Dune Hardback - normally goes for a fair bit

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:05 pm 

Dragonroar, UK only

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 pm 

saw that - I've thought about it just to get the walkman!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:08 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Does this usually go this high?

If it is the hardcover version, it's possible that's why it went so high, but in general, no, they don't go nearly for that price.

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Gah!---that's a great price:  the Pavis, Big Rubble, and Borderlands sets often go for $50-80 or so.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:36 pm 

Sealed pack of Everway Hero Sheets:  

Less rare than some of the other Everway products put out by Rubicon Games, but they still haven't managed to ping my saved searches all that often.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 120123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 118119120