OT - Need some assistance from friends across the pond...
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:10 pm 

I am looking to acquire some European only releases of a certain video game franchise for the PS2....not DnD or actually role playing related for that matter, willing to pay for games, shipping and a minor handling/service fee if necessary.

Feel free to PM if you are interested in helping out (and, yes I understand that actually playing games from the PAL region in the NTSC region requires a great deal of work...I am still researching the best way to overcome that particular problem)

~jeff

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:24 pm 

It was my understanding the PS2 was a Region Nil player, able to play any DVD. I know I've used it to play different region discs.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:35 pm 

serleran wrote:It was my understanding the PS2 was a Region Nil player, able to play any DVD. I know I've used it to play different region discs.

I believe you are correct, for DVDs, this unfortunately does not apply to the games (a PS2 will output whatever signal is generated by the media inside, however there are hardware based regional protections for the games, which means I will likely have to purchase a PAL region PS2, and then overcome the fact that my TV is a cheap mexican made RCA)

~jeff

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:44 pm 

Ah, well that would explain that -- I also thought the games were, effectively, encoded like a DVD. It seems they are not. Unfortunate.

Good luck on getting it all to work. There a lot of games unavailable in the States that would be great fun to play...

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.