The Fantasy Trip, Metagaming and Microgames.
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:12 pm 

Who's into these?

Melee, Wizard... and ofcourse Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard.

But there's also OGRE!  And G.E.V.  And Ice War, and Black Hole...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:51 pm 

Mouse Police wrote:Who's into these?

There is a steady ineterst in microgames and TFT. I know I always pick them up when I come across them at a good price.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:52 pm 

I'm only interested in The Fantasy Trip, myself.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:41 am 

Serleran:

TFT was great!  But to be honest, I couldn't get into Ogre or GEV.

I still collected them, but just for the sake of collecting them.

I've got an unpunched Trailblazer...

DEATH TEST was the best!  Death Test II wasn't so good.  Grail Quest was fun as I played it solo...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:09 am 

I have an unboxed Death Test 3rd Edition. Reminds me a lot of Tunnels and Trolls, and Choose Your Own Adventures. Pretty fun, since the rules aren't complicated. I like that its a solo, as that was, unfortunately, how I got into roleplaying... used to use that dungeon design in the back of the OAD&D like it was my life! :)

But, yeah, I agree -- Death Test is pretty sweet. :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:33 pm 

I think there's a lot of members here that are into these for one reason or another. I've been picking up individual games on ebay (quests, history, + games) but there's a limit on how high I'll go. What gets me is there are metagames, microgames, microquests, microhistory, micro(whatever) from the Metagaming company. I think the microquests are for use with The Fantasy Trip(TFT), microgames are physically smaller standalone games, with no clue as to where microhistory or metagames come in. I own some of all though.

Then you have the other companies that jumped on the microgame bandwagon. These include Dwarfstar Games, Steve Jackson Games (after he left Metagaming), FGU released some, and if I remember correctly SPI released some as well, etc. I want to say Metagaming was the first of the real microgaming publishers, but I can't say for 100% certainty.

I can remember spending the night at a friends house back in the late 70's/early 80's. We would stay in a tent in his backyard playing Melee using flashlights after his parents told us to go to bed. Memories like this come flooding back once you get your hands on another copy of it 25+ years later.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:04 pm 

GreyM wrote:
I think there's a lot of members here that are into these for one reason or another. I've been picking up individual games on ebay (quests, history, + games) but there's a limit on how high I'll go. What gets me is there are metagames, microgames, microquests, microhistory, micro(whatever) from the Metagaming company. I think the microquests are for use with The Fantasy Trip(TFT), microgames are physically smaller standalone games, with no clue as to where microhistory or metagames come in. I own some of all though.

Then you have the other companies that jumped on the microgame bandwagon. These include Dwarfstar Games, Steve Jackson Games (after he left Metagaming), FGU released some, and if I remember correctly SPI released some as well, etc. I want to say Metagaming was the first of the real microgaming publishers, but I can't say for 100% certainty.

I can remember spending the night at a friends house back in the late 70's/early 80's. We would stay in a tent in his backyard playing Melee using flashlights after his parents told us to go to bed. Memories like this come flooding back once you get your hands on another copy of it 25+ years later.

Microhistory is the historical line, like Rommels Panzer's, Stalin's Tanks and Fire When Ready. Microgames tend to be sci-fi fantasy games.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:40 pm 

I've got a couple of issues of Interplay, Metagaming's magazine.

It's exclusively Metagaming/Microgame.  There's a heartbreaking editorial about the end of the "Golden Age" of RPGs...

Written in 1980!

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:20 pm 

TFT remains one of my all time favorite games.  I played it a LOT in my high school and college years, and still think of it fondly.  I still have the books in my collections and a couple of extra copies.  Just in case, I guess.

Longspeak