Chaosium and Mayfair Games product lists?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:05 pm 

Okay, so there had to be a switch between the deeper box and shallower box for the first edition because they both bear the same code.

One more question though:  What is on the underside of your box and are there any dates?

g026r, thanks.

Oh and thanks for the list rmeints.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:07 pm 

A little threadomancy to say, "uh oh, it just got more confusing"

Won this:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Judging by the picture, I figured deep box = 1E, right?  Wrong... ish.

I bought this for the cutout silhouettes and the original dice (per seller) to complete my 1E deep box.  Instead, we have another variation.  I'd compared everything and here is what I now have (variation differences in bold).

2" box 2006-X

red book

map

ref sheets

character sheets

dice (not original)

Chaosium catalog V1 #3, Summer 1982

vs.

2" box 2006-X

green book w/errata

map

ref sheets

character sheets

dice (original)

silhouette cards

Chaosium catalog V2 #1, Winter 1982

comment postcard

So, it would seem that some deep boxes were still around when the 2nd printing book was ready.  If we believe the catalogs are an indicator of release date, more so than the copyright dates, then the change would have been late 1982.

I don't have a 2E box (with the multiple books) to compare with.  Anyone have one with the catalog still included?

I have considered the possibility of a Frankenstein, but I don't think that's the case here - the copy I got is too nice - it just has the feel of being used once and then put back on the shelf for thirty years.  (And circumstantially, the Warhammer 2E set I got from the same seller is just as nice, so I think it's someone who just took care of there stuff.  Wish I had bid harder on the CoC 1E set now... was missing the dice though.)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:27 pm 

I have a feeling, after chatting at different times with Charlie Krank and Greg Stafford at Chaosium over the years, that it is probably something that Chaosium did to use up old boxes with some of the newer components.

They assembled a lot of games in house at times and often had perfectly usable components from different printings (not so much so with editions).
I agree with your assumption that they had some of the bigger boxes left from the printer who made them and they used them up by putting in the newer rulebooks. Back then nobody would have blinked or probably cared if they got the bigger box with a newer printing of the book with errata.

Unless something on the box is physically different, I doubt it is really a different "printing" or "edition".

In the end, it's just great to get one in such fantastic condition.

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:30 pm 

Nope, scoured the boxes - they are the same.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:25 pm 

Just looked to my boxes.

I have a 2E box (2101-X) with:
Red book w/errata
map
ref sheets
character sheets
dice
silhouette cards
and a list of contents (which match with the contents)

The content is genuine (bought from a game store back in 80's).

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:54 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Nope, scoured the boxes - they are the same.

TheHistorian,

What is on the exterior of the box bottom?

Also, what do the original dice look like?

All the best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:19 pm 

Not sure what you're looking for on the box bottom, so I'll just include that in the pic.  It's exactly the same as my other deep/2" box.

Standard disclaimer on the dice, of course, in that I didn't open this out of shrink, but they feel right, still very sharp, and the seller said he thought it was likely they were original.  The crystal d20 is a bit odd, but it is a double 0-9 and that is appropriate for the time, I believe.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:13 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Not sure what you're looking for on the box bottom, so I'll just include that in the pic.  It's exactly the same as my other deep/2" box.

Standard disclaimer on the dice, of course, in that I didn't open this out of shrink, but they feel right, still very sharp, and the seller said he thought it was likely they were original.  The crystal d20 is a bit odd, but it is a double 0-9 and that is appropriate for the time, I believe.

TheHistorian,

Thank you for the pictures.  I'd not seen the original dice before, and was simply curious.

As for the box bottom, well, I'm still trying to puzzle out how 1st and 2nd print material ended up in a 1" shallow box with a different code number, than the official second edition box (code# 2101).   I thought the exterior of the box bottom might help, and it did. :)

My assumption is that after Chaosium ran out of the deeper boxes for 2nd print material, as you detailed above, they produced a shallow box dated 1981, issued a new code number for that box (2101X), and filled it with with left over 1st/2nd print material.  To this end, the 1" shallow box 2101X can be considered the 3rd printing of the first edition of Stormbringer.  

I hope that made some sense.

Best,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19 am 

About a week ago, TheHistorian was looking for a Second Edition, Stormbringer box set and, after exchanging a few pms, we sorted out the known printings of the  first and second edition box sets.

I've only listed the printings and editions which have full documentation.  As we know, Chaosium is  very hard to pin down, so please feel free to add to the mix, and make any corrections you see fit.

My thanks to TheHistorian for all his help.

Best.

Paul

Chaosium, Stormbringer box set:

Printing Information:

First  (July, 1981)

* Red box with a picture of Elric. Box lid states: "STORMBRINGER: Fantasy Role Playing in the World of Elric.  Created by MICHAEL MOORCOCK in his Novels. By Ken St. Andre & Steve Perrin."
* No â„¢ over the last R in Stormbringer.
* Stock number 2006-X on the side and back.
* 2" deep box (5 cm).
* One 144 page red rulesbook, without errata inside the front cover.
* Large map (brown/tan, 22x28"), reference sheets, cardstock silhouettes, sample character sheets, and six polyhedral dice (one 4-sided, one 8-sided, one 20-sided, and three 6-sided).
* Box sides are red.
* Box bottom: white box descriptions with blue text, over a blue on blue map.

First+ (1981?)

* Red box with a picture of Elric. Box lid states: "STORMBRINGER: Fantasy Role Playing in the World of Elric.  Created by MICHAEL MOORCOCK in his Novels. By Ken St. Andre & Steve Perrin."
* No â„¢ over the last R in Stormbringer.
* Stock number 2006-X on the side and back.
* 2" deep box (5 cm).
* One 144 page green (or possibly red) rulesbook with errata inside the front cover.
* Large map (brown/tan, 22x28"), reference sheets, cardstock silhouettes, sample character sheets, and six polyhedral dice (one 4-sided, one 8-sided, one 20-sided, and three 6-sided).
* Box sides are red.
* Box bottom: white box descriptions with blue text, over a blue on blue map.
* This print is a hybrid: The box and contents are identical to the 1st print, however the rulesbook with errata is clearly a second print.

Second (Unknown, box bottom dated, 1981)

* Black box with a picture of Elric.  Box lid states: "Michael Moorcock's STORMBRINGER: Fantasy Role Playing in the World of Elric.  Created by MICHAEL MOORCOCK in his Novels. By Ken St. Andre & Steve Perrin."
* â„¢ over the last R in Stormbringer.
* Stock number 2101-X on the sides and back.
* 1" shallow box (2.5 cm).
* One 144 page red (or possibly green) rulesbook with errata inside the front cover.
* Large map (red, 22x28"), reference sheets, cardstock silhouettes, sample character sheets, and six dice (see below).
* Box sides are black.
* No ISBN on box bottom above, ''Printed in the USA."
* Box Bottom is black with white text, and has a black and white illustration: "Grome and the Ship of Land and Sea."
* The boxed description on the box bottom states:

"INCLUDED IN THIS BOX--Stormbringer Rulesbook (art by Frank Brunner, welcome to the Young Kingdoms, character generation, weapons & combat, skills, sorcery, cults, creatures, hints for the game master, statistics for the characters from the novels, sample summonings, game tables & charts, introductory scenario).  Map of the Young Kingdom (22x28"), Playaids (eight major character forms, sixteen minor character forms, eight demon forms, eight page reference booklet, twenty-five character & creature silhouettes), six polyhedral dice ( one 4-sided, three 6-sided, one 8-sided, one 20-sided)."

Second Edition (1985)

* Black box with a picture of Elric.  Box lid states: "Michael Moorcock's STORMBRINGER:  Fantasy Role Playing in the World of Elric.  Created by MICHAEL MOORCOCK in his Novels. By Ken St. Andre & Steve Perrin."  
* â„¢ over the last R in Stormbringer.
* Stock number 2101-X on the sides and back.
* 1" shallow box (2.5 cm)
* Three rulebooks, map (17x22"), reference sheets, character sheets, and three dice.
* Box sides are black.
* ISBN on box bottom left, above 'Printed in the USA."
* Box Bottom is black with white text, and has a black and white illustration: "Grome and the Ship of Land and Sea."
* The boxed description on the box bottom states:

"INCLUDED IN THIS BOX--Players Book (welcome to the Young Kingdoms, character generation, movement, weapons & combat, skills, poisons, etc.). Magic book (sorcery, lesser demons, elementals, Beast Lords, cults of Chaos, cults of Law). Gamemaster book (hints for the gamester, a complete short adventure, statistics for characters from the novels.). Map of the Young Kingdoms (17x22"). Reference Booklet (explanation of the box contents, character sheets, 8 pages of reference tables, prices, etc. Three polyhedral dice (1D6, 1D8, 1D20) are included, enough to play the game."

Link: http://rpg.geekdo.com/image/635739/stor ... size=origi nal

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 am 

In other Chaosium news, they've been digging into their catalog to release some pdfs.  Mostly Cthulhu of course, but I see All The World's Monsters 1-3 are now up:

http://catalog.chaosium.com/products_new.php

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:59 am 

TheHistorian wrote:In other Chaosium news, they've been digging into their catalog to release some pdfs.  Mostly Cthulhu of course, but I see All The World's Monsters 1-3 are now up:

http://catalog.chaosium.com/products_new.php

That's the first time I've been tempted to hit a PDF from Chaosium.  But, at $6.95 per file I'll wait until there's a sale or a bundled product or something more in the reasonable ballpark.

Still...nice additions to the PDF line for Chaosium!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:08 am 

There's usually a 30% off sale in October.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:11 am 

TheHistorian wrote:There's usually a 30% off sale in October.

I'll probably wait for that or something better...

In my opinion, sellers generally start out with their dream price for a PDF and then mark down the price to reality as they realize that "some sales" generate more profits than "no sales."

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Previous