Chaosium and Mayfair Games product lists?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:56 pm 

Mars has the "red" and g026r's "green" is an exact copy of ToT's "blue.".  So do we agree the "blue" on ToT is really green?  That leaves us with only two rulebooks!

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:14 pm 

Mars, could you check something for me?

Does your red rulebook have the errata printed on the inside front cover?  

Also, what's the product code on your box?  The one I have has 2006-X, but I don't believe the deep box had the -X on it.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 am 

The box does have the product code 2006-X on the side and back.  The box is 5 cm deep.

The inside front cover of the rulebook is blank, followed by Stormbringer cover page, gratitude page, dedication page, toc.

If your copy has errata, could you list some of the changes and I will check if they are corrected or not in my book.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:47 pm 

OK, here's a quick check:

Page 27.  Do the rules for the priest state that they gain a point of POW every year after 25?  (Should be item # 10 in the list.)

The errata notes that the line should read that they gain a point of INT, not POW. (And also includes a die roll necessary to successfully gain the point.)

I'll transcribe the errata later when I get a chance, if anyone wishes me to do so.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:30 pm 

In my copy, #10 says:

10 . For each year spend in the priesthood over the age of 25, the Priest may add 1 point of POW to his rating.  If INT and POW total 32 or greater, then he is premitted to learn sorcery.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:31 pm 

My "red" rule book has the errata on the inside cover of the front page.  

g026r:  a quick summary of my errata:

The errata notes changes to page 67, 27 (as g026r noted above).  The errata also refers to Chapter 5, specifically: Vulnerability of the Elements; Vulnerability of Demons, and Rebinding Elements, followed by a further reference to pp. 73, 76.

Hm, methinks Mars has the first true print (sans errata).  :)

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm 

OK, then the errata is not incorporated into your copy's text, as that's the erroneous version.

Errata is as follows:

Errata and What-Not For Stormbringer

Page 67: The example does not make it clear that the needed percentages for the two sorcerers are higher than they would be for beginning sorcerers. Note that they are described as practiced at doing elemental summonings. Naturally their skill has increased from the basics shown on page 65.

Page 27: A priest gains one point of INT per year after 25, not POW. However, he must roll higher than his current INT on 3D10 (a range of 3-30) to gain the increase. Some years a priest gets stuck in routine and doesn't learn anything.

Chapter 5
Vulnerability of elementals:
Any elemental can be harmed by a Demon of Combat or Protection. All elementals have 30 hit points.
Undines can be harmed by normal weapons. Salamanders and Sylphs are invulnerable to normal weapons, and Gnomes (as well as being invulnerable) can break normal weapons 50% of the time.
Vulnerability of Demons:
Any demon, unless it has a ward-pact is vulnerable to normal weapons unless it is weapon or armor form. Special demon abilities can modify this situation, but not negate it. Of course, with demons such as Gateway Openers, one just find the demon before one can hit it.
Rebinding Elementals:
A character may bind an elemental originally summoned and bound by another if the original binder is dead or gives permission. He need only make the same POWx3 roll that the original binder needed. If the roll is failed the elemental is freed.

Page 73: Under Demons of Protection, read (3) those that take spirit form and guard against trespassers (new word in bold)

Page 76: Under spirit wards change and multiply the difference by 5 to and multiply the difference by 2.
Add: When created, a spirit ward is given a definite area of no more than 100 meters to guard. Its influence will not extend past that area.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:40 pm 

g026r:

That is my errata exactly.  Well I think that sorts out which rulebook came first:)  Well done g026r!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:43 pm 

g026r,

Quick question: what was was the depth of the box in which you received the Green rulebook?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:35 am 

PaulKM wrote:g026r,

Quick question: what was was the depth of the box in which you received the Green rulebook?

It was a 1-inch "shallow" box.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:27 pm 

Here's the list i have compiled. I actually have one for all Chaosium products, through about a year ago:

2001p1 - All the World's Monsters Volume I
2001p2 - All the World's Monsters Volume I
2001p3 - All the World's Monsters Volume I
2002p1 - All the World's Monsters Volume II
2002p2 - All the World's Monsters Volume II
2002p3 - All the World's Monsters Volume II
2003 - All the World's Monsters Volume III
2004e1 - Authentic Thaumaturgy
2004e2 - Authentic Thaumaturgy
2005 - Basic Role-Playing
2006 - Basic Roleplaying 2nd edition
2006-X - Stormbringer 1st edition
2007-X - Thieves' World
2008-X - Worlds of Wonder
2009-X - Call of Cthulhu 1st edition
2009-DX - Call of Cthulhu Designer's edition (200 made)
2009-X - Call of Cthulhu 2nd edition
2010 - Shadows of Yog-Sothoth (also 2302)
2011-X - Superworld
2012 - The Asylum (also 2303)
2013 - Cities
2014 - Carse
2015 - Thieves' World Companion
2016 - Tulan of the Isles
2017 - Dragon Lords of Melnibone
2018 - Slaves of Fate
2019 - Straights of Chaos

2101-Xp1 - Stormbringer 2nd edition (has cardboard figures and fold-out character sheets)
2101-Xp2 - Stormbringer 2nd edition (has no figures, but has a book of character sheets and charts)
2102 - Stormbringer Companion
2103 - Demon Magic
2104 - Stealer of Souls
2105 - Black Sword
2106-X - Hawkmoon
2107 - The Shattered Isle
2108 - White Wolf
2109-H - Stormbringer 3rd edition (GW version)
2110 - Stormbringer 4th edition
2111 - Rogue Mistress
2112 - Sorcerers of Pan Tang
2113 - Perils of the Young Kingdom
2114 - Sea Kings of the Purple Towns
2115 - Stormbringer 5th edition

This is the list I provided to Greg Stafford, whom I have corresponded with about Chaosium collecting many times. (no name dropping intended)

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:29 pm 

I have a pretty extensive collection of all Chaosium (and Chaosium licensed) product from White Bear & Red Moon through present day. All questions welcome.

I love discussing product info.

Regards,

Rick Meints

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:05 pm 

Okay, so there had to be a switch between the deeper box and shallower box for the first edition because they both bear the same code.

One more question though:  What is on the underside of your box and are there any dates?

g026r, thanks.

Oh and thanks for the list rmeints.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:07 pm 

A little threadomancy to say, "uh oh, it just got more confusing"

Won this:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Judging by the picture, I figured deep box = 1E, right?  Wrong... ish.

I bought this for the cutout silhouettes and the original dice (per seller) to complete my 1E deep box.  Instead, we have another variation.  I'd compared everything and here is what I now have (variation differences in bold).

2" box 2006-X

red book

map

ref sheets

character sheets

dice (not original)

Chaosium catalog V1 #3, Summer 1982

vs.

2" box 2006-X

green book w/errata

map

ref sheets

character sheets

dice (original)

silhouette cards

Chaosium catalog V2 #1, Winter 1982

comment postcard

So, it would seem that some deep boxes were still around when the 2nd printing book was ready.  If we believe the catalogs are an indicator of release date, more so than the copyright dates, then the change would have been late 1982.

I don't have a 2E box (with the multiple books) to compare with.  Anyone have one with the catalog still included?

I have considered the possibility of a Frankenstein, but I don't think that's the case here - the copy I got is too nice - it just has the feel of being used once and then put back on the shelf for thirty years.  (And circumstantially, the Warhammer 2E set I got from the same seller is just as nice, so I think it's someone who just took care of there stuff.  Wish I had bid harder on the CoC 1E set now... was missing the dice though.)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:27 pm 

I have a feeling, after chatting at different times with Charlie Krank and Greg Stafford at Chaosium over the years, that it is probably something that Chaosium did to use up old boxes with some of the newer components.

They assembled a lot of games in house at times and often had perfectly usable components from different printings (not so much so with editions).
I agree with your assumption that they had some of the bigger boxes left from the printer who made them and they used them up by putting in the newer rulebooks. Back then nobody would have blinked or probably cared if they got the bigger box with a newer printing of the book with errata.

Unless something on the box is physically different, I doubt it is really a different "printing" or "edition".

In the end, it's just great to get one in such fantastic condition.

Regards,

Rick Meints

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:30 pm 

Nope, scoured the boxes - they are the same.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:25 pm 

Just looked to my boxes.

I have a 2E box (2101-X) with:
Red book w/errata
map
ref sheets
character sheets
dice
silhouette cards
and a list of contents (which match with the contents)

The content is genuine (bought from a game store back in 80's).

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:54 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Nope, scoured the boxes - they are the same.

TheHistorian,

What is on the exterior of the box bottom?

Also, what do the original dice look like?

All the best,

Paul

PreviousNext