Chaosium and Mayfair Games product lists?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:11 pm 

Does anyone have or have links to complete product lists for Mayfair Games and Chaosium?

I know that Adrian Newman has listed all the RoleAids (D&D related) material on his site, but this will omit many early products that are not D&D related. While the company is still active, no doubt many items it formerly produced are OOP. The reason I ask is that I just picked up a copy of "The Forever War" boardgame. I want to try to find out how many counters it should have and I'd like to know how many other fantasy and scifi games they produced.

Concerning Chaosium, they seemed to produce heaps of stuff for heaps of different systems, so I know for example, their RuneQuest related stuff is listed on the RQ site, but there seem to be lots of other obscure Chaosium products. Reason I ask is, I have a fair amount of odd Chaosium stuff and recently picked up a bunch of Stormbringer RPG supplements.

Any help highly appreciated!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:13 pm 

I'd like some help with Stormbringer as well.  

For instance, I've looked at ToT's site, but I don't understand the why the 1st edition box set's "rulesbook" is depicted with both a red or a blue cover.  Was the blue rulesbook included only with the box and the red sold as a stand alone?

Yep, lots of questions;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:00 am 

PaulKM wrote:I'd like some help with Stormbringer as well.  

For instance, I've looked at ToT's site, but I don't understand the why the 1st edition box set's "rulesbook" is depicted with both a red or a blue cover.  Was the blue rulesbook included only with the box and the red sold as a stand alone?

Yep, lots of questions;)

I think they changed the color of the rulebook between print runs.  They did this for the rulebooks in the 2" RuneQuest box.  Some have said the green RQ rulebooks are the oldest, followed by the brown and then the red.

Chaosium sold the RQ book separately, but in full color.  The Summer 81 and Winter 81 catalogs mention that RQ is sold as box or book, but list Stormbringer only as box.

My Stormbringer box, which is on ebay right now, contains a red book and the Summer/Fall 81 catalog, which actually lists Stormbringer as "Coming Soon".  I take that as evidence that the 1st printing had red books.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:33 am 

Grubbiv,

Thanks for the information.  

Now if I can just find a 1st edition Stormbringer box sans contents...( long story, but I'll never trust a certain website's pictures or product numbers again--I'm not referring to ToT).

Best,

Paul

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:29 am 

Yes. I am looking for a first or second edition boxed set as well. I've tenatively bid on a couple, but don't want to go too high as I don't really know their value.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:57 am 

Hermit,

I have no idea what a Stormbringer 1st or 2nd edition is worth; the prices I've seen have ranged from 18-25+ US--most were in fair to very good condition.  

I've tried, but failed to find a proper Stormbringer forum, so hopefully someone here can give us both a good run down.  I think FormCritic mentioned something about Stormbringer collecting (apologies if I'm mistaken).

I'd love to have a price guide for Stormbringer accessories and modules.   

That said, my problem, is that I *only* need a very-good to fine+ box for my first edition contents.

This, I have no doubt, will be a pain to find!

Best,

Paul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:44 am 

PaulKM wrote:Was the blue rulesbook included only with the box and the red sold as a stand alone?

There are lots of questions when you really start looking into an RPG other than D&D.  D&D is fortunate enough to have a place like the Acaeum.

I have the "red" book that came in what looks like the same box as the "blue" book.  I'm not sure which one came first.  My box does have the product code 2006-X on the side and back.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:17 pm 

Mars, I have the red book as well.  

I wondered if the red book was different because ToT specifications have it separated from the "blue" book's boxed description (weight and dimensions).

Speaking of red and blue: my map, dated 1981, is also red/pinkish in hue.  I wonder if there is a blue version of it?;)  

Does your "Box Contents" list have a date?

Best,

Paul

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:32 pm 

The Editions are outlined in Heroic Worlds. It states the following:

1st edition: Chaosium, 1981 - deep box - one book, 144 pp - large map, reference sheets, cardstock miniatures, sample character sheets, dice.

2nd edition: Chaosium, 1985 - shallow box - three books, 64, 36 and 28pp - large map and dice.

3rd edition: Games Workshop, 1987 - this is the hard cover, 224pp version.

4th edition: Chaosium, 1990 - a 208pp book with a large removable map.

Here is a first edition on Ebay: 1st edition boxed set. If you want to go for this one PaulKM, I'll refrain. You'll have to check though if silhouette sheet = cardstock miniature sheet. The book I see is paperback and reddish.

Here is a second edition on Ebay 2nd edition boxed set - missing the dice. It has a photo of the three books - so you should be able to check your red and blue books above against this.

Here is a third edition on Ebay in poor condition Listing

Last edited by HermitFromPluto on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:33 pm 

My map is more of a brownish colour than the redish book.  The set also has a 1981 Chaosium catalog inside which lists Stormbringer as having a July 1981 release date.

I think the book on ToT is probably just the last remaining bit of a boxed set and probably wasn't sold separately.  The catalog clearly states sold as a boxed set.  Also a slightly later catalog Winter 1981 Vol 1 #1 from the Thieves World boxed set lists Stormbringer as 2006-X.

My copy looks like this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I also notice there is a later printing 1985 where they have split up the book (also looks like they changed the product number to 2101-X):

The change in colour of books and maps is not uncommon for Chaosium either.  The Thieves World boxed sets do the same thing.  One of the books changes from purple to red and the map changes from a brown to a grey colour.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:35 pm 

Isn't that amazing. We must have been working on the same thing on opposite sides of the world and posted almost simultaneously!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:39 pm 

Mars wrote:I also notice there is a later printing 1985 where they have split up the book (also looks like they changed the product number to 2101-X):

That's the second edition.  It split up the books and changed from a deep box to a shallow box.

Edit: I need to read all the posts before I comment. :)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:39 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Isn't that amazing. We must have been working on the same thing on opposite sides of the world and posted almost simultaneously!

Wow a minute apart.  The trouble is that there seems to be 2 first printings - one with a blue 144 page rulebook and one that is rust coloured.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:47 pm 

Mars wrote:
Wow a minute apart.  The trouble is that there seems to be 2 first printings - one with a blue 144 page rulebook and one that is rust coloured.

I don't have either. The 1st editions I have seen listed so far seem to have the rust coloured version - but if someone picks up that 1st edition with the rust coloured 144pp book - you could compare to try figure out which came first.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:51 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:you could compare to try figure out which came first.

I have the rust coloured one and ralf over on the Tome of Treasures has a blue one listed there already.  I posted a note up there so hopefully Ralf will see it and maybe we can sort it out.

I wonder what a typical amount of time before reprintings is?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:52 pm 

I've found Stormbringer to be a bit confusing to collect, even with the help of Heroic Worlds. Maybe it's because I didn't collect it at all during its publication years; I have no real frame of reference, I suppose.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:31 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I've found Stormbringer to be a bit confusing to collect, even with the help of Heroic Worlds.

I still maintain that Heroic Worlds gives you a great start but there is so much more that is missing from there. In this case, both books are First Edition but just different printings.  Still would be good to know the printing info.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:44 pm 

Whoops, Hermit:

No, please feel free to bid away.  I *only* need the 1st edition box, I have all the contents in a 2nd edition box.

Another website, well two, listed the 2nd edition "box" ( 2101-X) as the 1st edition.  Though all my contents are 1st edition, I was a bit concerned after the items arrived.  Thus when I checked ToT's site to find both a  "blue" and "red/rust" 144 page 1st edition rulebook my confusion and questions arose.

That said, I hope Mars gets an answer from ToT over which came first the blue or the rust?  

I'll have to take my map--dated 1981--into some better light. Perhaps pinkish/red will appear more rust like then.

However, with this listing:

The map appears to be quite brownish. Mark is this like your map?

Okay to sum up:  I need a 1st edition box, and the box only.

There is "rust" and a "blue" 144 page 1 edition rulebook, and we're not sure which was first.

My pinkish/red map may or may not be the same as Mars's map though both are dated 1981.

Chaosium is given me a headache;)

Hermit, please bid away, and call me Paul:)

Last edited by PaulKM on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next