MERP: I need help fixing the info on the fan sites
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:21 am 

Afraid of the Dark wrote:Here's the site I've put together so far with a bunch of printing/edition information:
http://homepage.mac.com/guyf/MERP/Print ... rence.html

Amazing stuff - well done!!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:39 pm 

Yeah, I'm aware of the icewebring catalog, thanks. I've been talking with Brent Knorr about collaborating in order to update the glitches in his list.

Also, I just updated the web page with more info, including Northern Mirkwood, Southern Mirkwood, Moria, and a historical (though incomplete) look at the product catalogs (at the bottom).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:16 pm 

I just made a big update to the MERP printing & edition reference:

There are a lot of added products (though still not quite complete ... 13 left to go), a navigation section with a color-based overview of where the variations are, fixed css for compatibility with more browsers, and more.

The additional information has provided some clues about some variations that probably exist, and I need your help to prove it:

8040 Hillmen of the Trollshaws is the only early adventure module that doesn't appear have any edition variations. But I don't believe that. Please take a look at your copy to see if it's different from the edition I have listed on my page. Things to look for include: A UPC Barcode on the back, a "STOCK #8040" at the top-right of the cover, or a picture of the 1986 version of the MERP rulebook on the back. (These are just some possible differences that it might have, based on the variation differences for other adventure modules.)

2300 Angmar Land of the Witch King has two variations that I've identified. However, both of these variations list 1983 products on their catalog pages, which is odd, given that a) Angmar was released in 1982, and b) Umbar was also released in 1982 and has a variation with only 1982 products on its catalog page. I suspect there is a variation of Angmar that has only 1982 products on its catalog page. Please check yours!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:07 pm 

Fantastic looking resource!  Nice big scans (maybe a bit too big in some cases  :wink: ) and a lot of good information.  Much nicer than the old ICE webring site.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:00 pm 

Wow! 8O
Really nice work you are doing here.  You thought about porting that over here as a subweb? (plus you get a nice forum to go along with it :) )

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:16 pm 

Just a picky comment, but I find the green text on the yellow background very difficult to read.

If you used a darker GREEN it might be easier for us old guys.  :D

The color above is 006400.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. (I darkened the green somewhat, and it will go live on my next upload of the site.)

Plaag, porting it to a subweb may eventually occur, but not now. See my earlier posts for some thoughts about that.

And I have an answer to one of the questions I listed earlier: There is another variation of 8040 Hillmen of the Trollshaws. I don't have images that I can display just yet, but I've seen visual proof of a copy with a UPC barcode on the back and a $7 price, which dates it around 1986 or later.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:50 pm 

I have checked my Hillmen and Angmars (I have three). They match the descriptions on your site.

I see that you have no plans to cover 2nd edition MERP, but what about:

- the LOTR Adventure Game + 2 module from 1991
- the Solo Game and Quest Game books, which ran from 1985 to 1988
- the five board games based in middle-earth being
  * The Battle of the Five Armies (1984)
  * Lonely Mountain (1984)
  * The Fellowship of the Ring (1983)
  * Riddle of the Ring (1985)
  and later:
  * The Hobbit Adventure Boardgame (1994)

The reason I ask is that I have two sets of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' and found that they are distinctly different prints.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:55 pm 

Thanks for the data points on Hillmen and Angmar.

I'm not planning on covering the LOTR Adventure Game stuff, the Solo/Quest game books, or the board games. I'm sticking to MERP proper.

But my long-term goal is to get this information onto some site that can be modified by anyone with the energy to do so ... possibly subject to some kind of moderation. Basically, I don't want to have to be responsible for updating the site for posterity. I'm thinking some sort of wiki would be best.

This is one reason why an Acaeum subweb isn't particularly attractive to me. It still requires one person (or specific group of people) to manually receive, format, and then publish the info.

To me, there's a big difference between having to do all the work and having my finger on a button that says "undo this change."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:00 pm 

When I first joined the Acaeum, I had a very similar idea and started this discussion in the Collecting General thread:

Building an RPG database Wiki-style

I still think this would be a great idea. There is a tonne of useful research material hidden away in these forum threads, which seems to get buried and lost. But it would take a lot of dedicated work to initiate.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:09 pm 

I still think that it is a shame that Blackdougal's Dark Sun subweb never went live.

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/acaeum/DarkSunCode.htm

I was not around that far back, but it looks impressive.  :)

Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:41 am 

well, i am also supporting the idea of having a subweb for MERP here (as well as a CoC one!)...

the point is that, the forum here is extremely living and up to date... other pages are not... afaik, the only working people are Plaag and friends for the JG subforum... hance i wonder if it is worth or not...

just not to be misunderstood: dont want to attack acaeum, but i have seen a situation unchanged for too long to say that the pages are updated...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:25 am 

There are a lot of great subwebs that could be created here.  I have thought about doing a nonTSR or TSR other games subweb but it requires a lot of time and dedication.

The Tome of Treasures does a lot of this now and the format is such that the information is there and available through the development stages of the website.  So even though things might plod along a bit, further progress does eventually get made.  Its also nice to have a few people working on it together.  The Tome has also uncovered a number of new prints for TSR games (and other as well, Arduin comes to mind) that I never realized even existed.  I think that in itself shows the need for such a website, be it here or on the Tome.

This also reiterates the hard work that has been done on the subwebs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:22 pm 

Another update, with 10 more products (all the Fortress Modules #8201-8205, the rest of the Sourcebooks #8003-8007), and some new-but-incomplete details for a couple new minor variations (8040 Hillmen of the Trollshaws, 8003 LoME2).

Thanks to those who have already contacted me with help! (And I'm always looking for more help, if you have the time to compare your versions to those I have listed.)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:07 pm 

the boxed fellowship of the ring game was rushed out for origins/gencon and the ones they sold at the con that year were short some stickers (iirc) so they included 64 extra dice to be used instead. i bought it at the time but never played it because it didn`t have a military component like spi`s war of the ring.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:10 pm 

I can actually read the green text now!  :D
Thanks!

Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:13 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This is Merp #2024, a boxed map of Middle Earth. Quite rare, and usually goes for a lot.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:59 pm 

Nice pick up!

PreviousNext