Traveller Computer Games
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 pm 

g026r wrote:
Heh.  The C128.  Had one (still have it, in fact), and aside from a word processing program, I think it was only ever used in 64-mode. :lol:

Yeah, that seems to be a common occurance.  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:01 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:And speaking of Traveller like space exploration, combat, and trading games....did anyone ever play Elite?

OOOOOOOOOO!!!

The only reason to own a BBC Microcomputer (And it may only have run on a BBC 'B') - great stuff from BITD

(I played it on a friends computer - I was the proud possessor of a 48K spectrum - Manic Miner anyone?! :D )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:43 pm 

The only time I ever got to play Elite was when I was at Texas Tech for a couple of weeks during the summer back in Jr. High (I think).  It made a serious impression on me and I have always enjoyed similar games since then.

Wing Commander, Privateer, Descent: Freespace, Independence War, the X: Beyond the Frontier series, and probably my favorite computer game of all time....Freelancer.  I have played Freelancer for hours and hours and I never get tired of it.

And although it's really not in the same genre as the above games, I have found a new futuristic RPG game called Mass Effect that blends space exploration, trading, and balls-to-the-wall first person and squad based combat together and does it fairly well.  Damn hard game though.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:29 pm 

Elite was awesome on the C64, the black and white line graphics only made it better.

I've got it for the Atari ST someone left me, the improved graphics didn't improve the fun.

There was this other game on the C64 by the makers of Elite, called "Cholo".  It used the same monochrome line graphics as Elite, but ground based. You start out as a small robot exploring this city.  You encounter other robots. Some are hostile, and if they kill you, then reload a saved game and explore another part of the city!  If you defeat them, then you can hack them and use them.

Fun game, I never knew what the point was.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:24 am 

gyg wrote:

OOOOOOOOOO!!!

The only reason to own a BBC Microcomputer (And it may only have run on a BBC 'B') - great stuff from BITD

(I played it on a friends computer - I was the proud possessor of a 48K spectrum - Manic Miner anyone?! :D )

after school, i sometimes used to go to a computer club, and ended up playing defender and valhalla on the BBC - great little computer.

Al

ps. mission impossible on the C64 was great - i actually managed to complete that. another great game was beach head.

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:04 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
after school, i sometimes used to go to a computer club, and ended up playing defender and valhalla on the BBC - great little computer.

Al

Hehehe.....nerd.  :P

P.S.  Another great game I just remembered.....Sundog: Frozen Legacy.  I think it only released on Apple and Atari ST.  I would be surprised if it hadnt been influenced by Traveller in a lot of ways.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:43 am 

which incidentally, i never did complete that Valhalla game and i always wondered a. how you did it, and b. what actually happens at the end.

sheesh

no point fretting about it now like 25+ years later :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:16 am 

killjoy32 wrote:no point fretting about it now like 25+ years later :)

There were a number of games that I never completed back in the day but have since done so using an emulator.  The emulator is a huge time saver that lets you save whenever you want, play on faster machines than you had, and it eliminates load times.

One game that I didn't finish BITD was Roadwar Europa - partially because I didn't know what was really going on in the game.  I played it for days.  Its a car wars type game and battles would sometimes take hours.  On the emulator, I finished it in 2 days.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:27 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Hehehe.....nerd.  :P

P.S.  Another great game I just remembered.....Sundog: Frozen Legacy.  I think it only released on Apple and Atari ST.  I would be surprised if it hadnt been influenced by Traveller in a lot of ways.

I have Sundog!  A friend of mine gave me the Atari ST that HIS friends lent to him when they went IBM PC.  Then they moved away...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:12 am 

well i have now complete Lords of Midnight and Doomdarks revenge again during my lunch breaks at work this week - ahhh now thats better :)

gauntlet next.

Are we nearly there yet?

Previous