Len Lakofka and The Companions - more details?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:37 am 

While organizing stuff to sell over the weekend, I noticed that Len Lakofka is listed as a playteser in The Companions adventure The Curse of Hareth.  Does anyone know more about Len's involvement with The Companions?

All I was able to find on the site was this snippet from four years ago:  viewtopic.php?t=988&highlight=lakofka+companions

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:46 am 

grodog wrote:While organizing stuff to sell over the weekend, I noticed that Len Lakofka is listed as a playteser in The Companions adventure The Curse of Hareth.  Does anyone know more about Len's involvement with The Companions?

All I was able to find on the site was this snippet from four years ago:  viewtopic.php?t=988&highlight=lakofka+companions

I know Len has a connection with Dragonsfoot since he is working on the Project-with-No-End (publication of L4 and/or L5, now in it's 5th year) with volunteer work from Dragonsfoot members.  Maybe if you posted over there although I don't know if he has a specific thread dedicated to his stuff.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:39 am 

Badmike wrote:I know Len has a connection with Dragonsfoot since he is working on the Project-with-No-End (publication of L4 and/or L5, now in it's 5th year) with volunteer work from Dragonsfoot members.  Maybe if you posted over there although I don't know if he has a specific thread dedicated to his stuff.

From what I recall, Len has made very few posts himself and only seems to show up briefly maybe once a year?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:44 am 

Allan, if you wish I could forward your question to Len.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:43 pm 

That would be great, Sir C., since Len's never answered any emails I've sent to him, even when former players of his wanted to get back in touch.

Allan Grohe ([email protected].com)
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:07 am 

Len is a very private and reclusive person as far as I can tell, and he only rarely visits the internet, let alone messageboards.  The only place where he sporadically logs in is Dragonsfoot.  

When I forwarded other questions to him in the past, he often wanted to respond to the persons in private, so perhaps it would be a good idea if you would PM me your email addy.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:31 am 

It's [email protected].  Thanks!

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:49 am 

Done!  I' hope you'll hear from him.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 pm 

Here's Len's answer, Allan:

"Well that's not exactly true.  Unless it was 25 or more years ago.

Are The Companions based in Maine?  Then I might know who they are.   John............. I can't remember his last name, was in my game in Chicago and then moved to Maine.  I have not heard from him in over 20 years.

John also ran a game in Chicago for a short period of time and I played in it.   I don't know that that game had a title.  Maybe it did.

Saying I playtested the module is a stretch in any case but I might let it ride if it's who I think it is."

Hope that helped.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 am 

Thanks, it does help a lot, Sir C:  The Companions were based in Maine for sure, and the primary author was Wm. John Wheeler.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:41 am 

Wow, this makes some things click together. Wheeler and Lakofka were from the same original group; the L series and the Companion books always seemed to have a similar "style" and assumptions about the way the world felt socially and otherwise. The L books always seemed, to me at least, to be more Companions-like than TSR-like. Now I know why...

I wonder what other products are out there from the "Chicago School" of gaming?

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:56 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:Wow, this makes some things click together. Wheeler and Lakofka were from the same original group; the L series and the Companion books always seemed to have a similar "style" and assumptions about the way the world felt socially and otherwise. The L books always seemed, to me at least, to be more Companions-like than TSR-like. Now I know why...

I wonder what other products are out there from the "Chicago School" of gaming?

I talked to one of the "original" Companions group online several years ago.  Wish I still had this contact, because apparantly there is a World outline that the Companions guys would hand out to their players, as well as many unpublished items.  The Companions stuff was always of the highest quality.  

For some reason a lot of the Companions stuff reminded me of Harn products, that kind of grim low magic high realism type of world.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:54 am 

Well, I told Len that name of the guy is John Wheeler, and here's what he replied:

"Yes, John Wheeler.  So I do know who that is.
My playtest envolvement was mininal but certainly not an outright lie.

Oh well.

The companions did some excellent hex sheets as a product.  I suppose they are out of circulation ages ago.
I still have a few of the sheets I think.  I'll scan it in.  I wonder if they copyrighted it?  It might be a good thing to offer but it would have to be for FREE."