Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:50 pm 

Anybody remember these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MESSE:IT

Ahhh.....to be a kid again

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:04 am 

Yep - played right through Bard's Tale to the end on the Apple IIGS - fantastic sound and amazing graphics for the time.
Never played the others...

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:05 am 

Yes, those were good times.  Used to play MULE with friends all the time; it got really cutthroat - often the entire colony would go down in flames as people with monopolies would starve one another, etc.
:wink:

I played the Bard's Tale series religiously for awhile - finished the first on C-64, and kept playing, until I had a three Monks, a Bard, and two Archmagi that were nearly unstoppable.  Then I got into BT2, and there was a bug with the Monks' damage - where they were doing 8 attacks before, they only did 1!  So I intiated intra-party combat (remembe that?), the Magi killed the Monks, and I started three 1st-level Paladins instead.  Of course, the Magi had to take the front rank while the juniors gained levels in the back, it was pretty funny ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:36 am 

Talk about a blast from the past. In my computer class in high school Bard's Tale was all the rave. We had about twenty computers, all Apple 2E's, and only two of these had color monitors (Texas Interments and always a battle to get on). I have many fond memories of these old games. My buddy Jared has downloaded a few of the old Apple games like Castle Wolfenstein, Tipan, Oregon trail, etc, and has a green screen simulator. I'll ask him about the links and post them.

10 print "I'M GETTING OLD"
20 goto 10

Invincible 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:14 pm 

I was in on Zork when it first came out. I was going to a private school in Vermont with a computer department that had a dialup link to Dartmouth College. 5 computers, 1 had a mono screen and the others were printout. I was the first one in my school to beat Zork, did it with max points(polishes his nails). However, I had a printout that was 1/2 mile long. Brought it home during break, and left it on the kitchen table. Being 14, I was still stupid, and didn't think someone might read it. So when my Dad was bragging to his girlfriend and her 15 year old daughter about it, he showed them the printout, not realizing I had typed in commands like "f* you", "pussy", and the thermonuclear word "c*nt" to see what the response was. Got in a bit of trouble for that. Amazing fun, though. What a thinking game. All text.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:02 pm 

Hmm, I get "invalid item" when I click those links

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:32 pm 

The links were posted in Febuary. Ebay removes them after a few months.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:31 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:10 print "I'M GETTING OLD"
20 goto 10

Invincible 8)

if you are using goto statements then you are old. :D

while (Girlfriend = 19_Year_Old_Blonde )
   {
        System.out.println("I am Young");
    }
System.out.println("I am Old!");

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:53 pm 

Damn, I used goto.....
If I say Fortran, does anyone here recognize it?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:03 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Damn, I used goto.....

That be one of these new-fangled programming languages, no? :P

=

(And I wasn't even going to add a comment 'bout having played on the original Essex MUD, on that other thread. Well, for as long as the parents footed the 'phone bill that was :?)

Sheesh, even bought Sinclair's original programmable calculator; didn't learn my lesson (crap build quality, quirky functionality) and was suckered into a Mk14 some years later. (Couldn't afford a Nascom 1 :()

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:03 am 

Unfortunately I remember first year of Uni where they introduced us to Punch cards, Fortran and Cobol ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:44 am 

In a Rubbermaid container, up in the attic at my younger brother's house, I have my first computer. TRS-80. I still have two cassette games for it as well.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:46 am 

improvstone wrote:

Unfortunately I remember first year of Uni where they introduced us to Punch cards, Fortran and Cobol ...

*chuckles*. I presume you were at least going in the right direction, Mike!

Uni here in the mid-80s was Apple Macs & Sun Workstations with Honors projects such as OCR using simulated neural nets, and distributed hypertext systems (we had a working, scalable system; Berners-Lee had a protocol... he was right, of course).

And then I took a job in the railroad industry.
COBOL and green screen dumb-terminals: boxes of unused punched cards still stacked up in the printer room, following this latest technical innovation. Meep...

Talk about culture shock...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:45 am 

I'm trying to remember the name of an Apple 2E game. The game was 1st person walking through a maze. The maze was only made up of high resolution lines, and if you found something text would appear at the bottom of the screen like food, items, etc. there where five levels and the bottom level had shifting walls. I remember playing quite a bit of this game. It was on a copied disk (Disk Muncher 2.0 :lol: ), so I'm not sure if I ever knew what the real name of the game was :? . Circa 83-85

Invincible 8)

PS Welcome back harami :D

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:22 pm 

In high school we had a computer lab with about 10 teletype style machines. Can't remember the name of the game but it had Lord of the Rings overtones in a dungeon crawl.

Around 1980-81, my junior year, we got a few TRS machines....

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:25 pm 

There were many - Rogue, Akallabeth, Ultima I, Wizardry I, Telengard, Temple of Apshai, etc.  I played about 40 of them in all, but don't remember all the names.
:oops:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:58 pm 

Apple // Utilities    Main Menu                                               Version 1.2
C. Apple Computer 1980,81,83                                 All Rights Reserved

Here's a link to some of the old games I remember about half of them. I almost fell of my chair when I saw Archon the chess game where the pieces do battle. That one took me back. http://homepage.mac.com/axelbauer/classic/

Here's a few more I played; Somehow I don't remember thinking these games took up too much time or where too addictive like modern computer RPG's and games. Time now seems so much more precious…..ahhhhhh….To be a youth again.  :)  

3D Monster Maze- (Sinclair ZX-81) I believe this is the game I'm trying to remember.  :roll:
BC's Quest For Tires-
Beer Run-  :lol:
Crunch And Munch-
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-
Karateka-    Everyone's favorite Kung-Fu fighter.
Leisure Suit Larry-   Taught me how to pick up chicks. :lol:
Lode Runner-
M.U.L.E-
Millepied-
Oregon Trail- better than Social Studies.
Sabotage-
Taipan-
Tapper-
Test Drive-
Wizardry-  Talk about putting in the hours of addiction 8O  
Zaxxon-
Zork-   It started out something like: "You are standing in a forest..." didn't it Frank?

10 print "Invincible 8) "
20 goto 10

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:07 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Zork-   It started out something like: "You are standing in a forest..." didn't it Frank?

Play Infocom Adventures Online  :o

Next