Infernax
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:22 pm 

Does anyone have a copy of Infernax that does NOT have the AD&D logo colored in with black marker?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:26 pm 

Please don't tell me there are two versions of this. I'm still trying to get a version. I don't need the headache of two. :(

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:42 pm 

I still with the working theory that it was blacked out on purpose.  I'm guessing some copies may have been sold first without the black but then "permission" was revoked and black added.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:45 pm 

Complete heresay but the statement seemed like a cheap way of using Dave Arneson's approval to put "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover.  Perhaps it was Dave himself that said remove it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:00 pm 

I agree, Mars. I actually brought this up because I reread the question you sent me a while back.
My thinking is that they blacked out the covers to avoid infringement. I noticed over the years that every time I got an Infernax, it was blacked out ONLY in those letters. I vaguely recall owning or seeing an uncolored one, but it may be the delusions of a damaged brain.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:29 pm 

I think Ian has an uncoloured one up on his Afterglow2.com website but I have seen 3 others on Ebay from 3 different sources that are all blacked in the same way by colouring the letters.

I kinda wonder if the scenario went something like Dave giving his approval, the book getting published, then Dave saying you can't say Dungeons & Dragons on there.  Was this during the time of the Gygax/Arneson dispute?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:47 am 

It seems plausible.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:23 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I agree, Mars. I actually brought this up because I reread the question you sent me a while back.
My thinking is that they blacked out the covers to avoid infringement. I noticed over the years that every time I got an Infernax, it was blacked out ONLY in those letters. I vaguely recall owning or seeing an uncolored one, but it may be the delusions of a damaged brain.

has frank farris on afterglow2 image no black line :) :) no price sticker to confirm sold copy?? but licensing issue sensible

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:15 am 

It's probably one of the ones I've owned. Gets a bit hard to remember.........
I would guess that a run was printed, some were sold, and then the clampdown came and they blacked out the lettering. From the prevalence of blacked-out copies, I'd say uncolored copies are rarer.