Tunnels and Trolls - Any Dedicated Collectors?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:56 pm 

Just wondering if there were any T&T collectors here, or if there was a place to definitely get some answers on things, as I recently acquired nearly every module produced (as far as I know,) and would like to be able to see what printings they are, as there appears to be absolutely no pattern in style / production. Anyway, just trying to see what's what, mostly.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:12 pm 

I've looked a bit but never found anything very comprehensive.  It seems to be a big game with lots of editions, lots of different printings, UK and North American versions, a number of 3rd party items, etc etc.  If you find anything let me know.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:27 pm 

Yeah, I'd not even fathom trying to collect the printings of these. But here is some information on printings that the Tome of Treasures has:
http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=326

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 pm 

If I get some time, I might be able to add some pictures to that.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:42 pm 

I haven't had a chance to add my T&T stuff there yet either.  I did add a couple more Arduin prints if you haven't looked at that recently.  The number of prints there is starting to scare me too - up to 6 for Arduin Grimoire and I know there are at least another couple more out there including a first.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:44 pm 

Tunnels & Trolls can be fun to collect ... and it won't break the bank, either.

One way to look at T&T is to split it up into pre-5th edition and post-5th. The 5th edition (1979, I believe; iconic Liz Danforth troll cover) was Flying Buffalo's first truly professional, slick-looking product, and helped to bring lots of attention to the game. Many of the solo adventures were then later released as "revised editions," which was a good thing, since they mostly sucked blue mud in their earlier editions.

Heroic Worlds has a decent T&T section, provided that its format of calling everything "1979.3.7.56.2985-E" doesn't make you crazy.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:54 am 

I am actually trying to do it. I found different website with different informations but it would be very long to collect everything. Especially because of all different printings and editions.
I collect T&T in french and in UK/US version. For the moment I have nothing in other language...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:37 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:... but it would be very long to collect everything. Especially because of all different printings and editions.

Honestly, I don't think T&T would be that difficult. Off the top of my head, here's what I remember:

* Six editions of the rules, numbered 1-7 (there is technically no sixth edition);

* 22 or so solo adventures, some of which have revised editions. The later ones (post-5th edition) typically only have a single edition;

* Two or three "gamemaster" adventures;

* Three "mini" adventures;

* 17 or so issues of Sorcerer's Apprentice (the early ones are admittedly difficult to find);

* Monsters! Monsters! would need to be added, since it's basically a re-written version of T&T;

* A handful of Judges Guild products ... no more than four, I think.

And that would be the entire "core" of the game. Of course, there's a number of homebrewed items out there for T&T, just like any other system, but I'm not counting those. Also, it will probably be more work for a European buyer to get all of this stuff shipped to Europe, but I don't think it would be insurmountable.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:59 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:* A handful of Judges Guild products ... no more than four, I think.

Rat on a Stick! :lol:

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:43 pm 

3 products according to the subweb

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/IndexbySystem.html

Jungle of Lost Souls
Rat on a Stick
Toughest Dungeon In the World

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:34 pm 

g026r wrote:
Rat on a Stick! :lol:

Damn good recipe, course I'm sure Mike would make it Shrew on a Stick: wrapping the hamburger in bacon, and drizzle that all with cheese after its cooked :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:58 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
* 17 or so issues of Sorcerer's Apprentice (the early ones are admittedly difficult to find);

34 issues....

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:05 pm 

There's also at least 24 Solo Dungeons, across about 4 publishers, based solely on simply flipping through the ones I have.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:17 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:34 issues....

supernova not counted ;) ;)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:18 pm 

serleran wrote:There's also at least 24 Solo Dungeons, across about 4 publishers, based solely on simply flipping through the ones I have.

doing well. got all brit printings??

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:27 pm 

There's exactly 24 Flying Buffalo/Blade solo adventures. Again, I was pointing toward "core" products; I have no doubt there's dozens of other homebrewed or unofficial products produced either by fans or by small companies.

As for SA, I think Flying Buffalo bailed after issue 17. The magazine might have continued (in a Space Gamer/Fantasy Gamer sort of way) through more issues, but I'd be curious to see if their content was virtually 100-percent T&T, as was the case with the first 17 issues (16, technically, as two were combined into a double issue). Or maybe more issues were produced for the overseas market? I know that no U.S. collectors I've talked with have ever mentioned an SA number higher than 17.

Finally, the Outlaw Press factor comes into play. Those guys have produced dozens of T&T reprints or new material, including adventures, magazines, supplements, etc. Personally, none of it is "core" or "canon" to me, but YMMV.

http://www.geocities.com/hobbit_lands/index.html

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 pm 

got all brit printings?

Unfortunately, no. I have a mix of stuff, though I do know some people in the UK who I might be able to ask to help on this. I figure its easier for the Brits to find decent T&T stuff than I can. :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:46 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:supernova not counted ;) ;)

I wasn't including that....

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Next