Who's putting out great new stuff?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:03 am 

Hi, FormCritic -

Yes, we would like to get the price down. Almost all of that goes to lulu though.

This is a fanzine. Not all articles are pleasing to all readers, but we've been gratified overall to see that pretty much everyone who's gotten the issue has found several articles of use to them, slightly different ones for each reader. That says to me that we're covering a broad spectrum of old school fantasy tastes.

I think issue 2 will be longer, more diverse, and possibly even 'better', though my affection for issue 1 (as the first) is very high. Anyway, thanks for your interest!

Looking for your old-school fantasy roleplaying fix? Don't despair...Fight On! Check it out at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FightOn.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:45 pm 

Received Fight On today!

The issue was wrapped in a pad, and then shrinked to a board, and then delivered in a box.

I liked the work that went into the layout. Once I get settled, I'll start reading the various articles. I think I'll reply back again after that.

Cheers!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:56 pm 

Goblinoid Games are running a Distribution Drive to raise funds to go retail with Labyrinth Lord. They need 20 more sales of the Limited Edition hardcover ($50) to hit the target. More details here: http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm

Note, I'm not connected in any way, I just like the old style material they are producing and think it would be a blast to see it in stores alongside the crash, bang, wallop modern stuff.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:05 pm 

megnelwil wrote:Goblinoid Games are running a Distribution Drive to raise funds to go retail with Labyrinth Lord. They need 20 more sales of the Limited Edition hardcover ($50) to hit the target. More details here: http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm

Note, I'm not connected in any way, I just like the old style material they are producing and think it would be a blast to see it in stores alongside the crash, bang, wallop modern stuff.

Is this a preorder on the book or do they actually have the limited edition hardcover in stock?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:19 pm 

JZavoda wrote:  

Is this a preorder on the book or do they actually have the limited edition hardcover in stock?

Hi Jason, it's a print on demand from LULU. Confirmation mail said it takes 10-15 days to produce the book and ship it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:28 pm 

megnelwil wrote:Goblinoid Games are running a Distribution Drive to raise funds to go retail with Labyrinth Lord. They need 20 more sales of the Limited Edition hardcover ($50) to hit the target. More details here: http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm

So the site says they need to sell 30 books at $50 to have the funds for a larger print run for distribution.  They couldn't come up with 1500 bucks?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:31 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:
So the site says they need to sell 30 books at $50 to have the funds for a larger print run for distribution.  They couldn't come up with 1500 bucks?

Coming up with an EXTRA 1500 bucks out of pocket can be difficult.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:39 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:

Do you have $1500 just laying around anywhere? I know I don't!!

Eulaliaaa!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:43 pm 

JZavoda wrote:
Coming up with an EXTRA 1500 bucks out of pocket can be difficult.

Come on, maybe GG is a one man show (I don't know), but it is still a business, they should be able to come up with 1.5 grand - particularly for what purports to be such a critical expense.  Those 30 limited hardcovers can't be free to produce.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:35 pm 

Hey, anyone who likes the idea and wants to support it can. Anyone who doesn't fancy it can move past. Simple.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:48 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:

$1,500 is no simple thing to "come up with" in this industry, believe you me! "Companies" these days are mostly guys working out of their garage or extra bedroom (yeah, that's me, too). Most of the time it is a very part-time proposition, as most publishers have a day job that pays the bills for the game "company." In my case, I've tried to make a living out of it for these last 10 months, to no avail; I'm now forced to find a day job just to pay the rent and food.

With most "companies" these days, getting in a print run of POD products in 10 or 20 unit runs is cost effective; printing 150 to get into distribution is another thing entirely. Though I gotta admit; if he's only getting 150 units at $1,500, he is going to the WRONG printer! That's a per-unit cost of $10! Even for a 144-page hardcover that seems extreme. Then again, I limit myself to the much more affordable 48-page saddle-stitch format. I gotta wonder what the MSRP is going to be on those books...

But yeah, the upshot of it is... in the gaming industry, $1,500 is a LOT of money, unless you are Wizards of the Coast or Games Workshop. Even Steve Jackson Games or Palladium or White Wolf couldn't just throw around $1,500 any more, though they could pay that without a fund drive. Everyone else? They'd have to dig into the rent jar or tap out their credit cards... or ask fans for help.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:02 pm 

The "ransom model" for printing can be quite successful.
Arc Dream and Pagan Publishing just raised $20,000 for a new book.

Delta Green: Targets of Opportunity

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:11 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
$1,500 is no simple thing to "come up with" in this industry, believe you me! "Companies" these days are mostly guys working out of their garage or extra bedroom (yeah, that's me, too). Most of the time it is a very part-time proposition, as most publishers have a day job that pays the bills for the game "company." In my case, I've tried to make a living out of it for these last 10 months, to no avail; I'm now forced to find a day job just to pay the rent and food.

With most "companies" these days, getting in a print run of POD products in 10 or 20 unit runs is cost effective; printing 150 to get into distribution is another thing entirely. Though I gotta admit; if he's only getting 150 units at $1,500, he is going to the WRONG printer! That's a per-unit cost of $10! Even for a 144-page hardcover that seems extreme. Then again, I limit myself to the much more affordable 48-page saddle-stitch format. I gotta wonder what the MSRP is going to be on those books...

But yeah, the upshot of it is... in the gaming industry, $1,500 is a LOT of money, unless you are Wizards of the Coast or Games Workshop. Even Steve Jackson Games or Palladium or White Wolf couldn't just throw around $1,500 any more, though they could pay that without a fund drive. Everyone else? They'd have to dig into the rent jar or tap out their credit cards... or ask fans for help.

That's a pretty bleak picture you paint there. I'd throw $1500 at self printing something if I thought I'd written something worth printing. Probably wouldn't go down the PDF route myself mind you. I collect and make the things, and have some extremely rare stuff, but you've gotta be really anal about stuff unless you want it going wild.

So if I put together a mostly B&W affair, or maybe 2 colours, and I wanted someone to do a decent colour cover and get it professionally printed, what could I expect for $1500? I've never really looked at this side of the industry.

What would say a standard PPP/Goodman Games dungeon cost to get the first 500 copies?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 am 

First, thanks for the support everyone!

I'm not sure where the $1,500 figure came from, but I never said any such thing. Was someone assuming I get all of that $50 per book? Not remotely!

I have two quotes and I'm waiting on a third. The price of printing will not be anywhere near $1,500.

@Grug: I'm definitely a one man show. I'm selling books to fund more books, so I don't get what your criticism is specifically addressing. As others suggested, this is a part time (even hobby) publishing effort, so no I don't have that chunk of change available. I wish I did!

Anyway, thanks again for all of the support. It is greatly appreciated.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:15 pm 

Dan Proctor wrote:@Grug: I'm definitely a one man show. I'm selling books to fund more books, so I don't get what your criticism is specifically addressing. As others suggested, this is a part time (even hobby) publishing effort, so no I don't have that chunk of change available. I wish I did!

Didn't intend to offend either you (or James) with my comments.  Sincerely, good luck with your endeavors.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:41 pm 

sounds like a cool book - dont really have $50 spare just now, with GenCon around the corner, but if there were cheaper items to pick up, i would have purchased some. if i have that left after GenCon, i will chip in.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:59 pm 

I'd be up for one at $50. Maybe more if the print run is small enough and there's no PDF.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:19 pm 

Not strictly RPG, well not RPG at all but certainly great stuff that's being put out - a very nice set indeed.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

PreviousNext