Good starting points for Cthulhu?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 12 of 13123 ... 9, 10, 11, 1213
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:16 pm 
 

ashmire13 wrote:  

But, I'd think to say that an American writer wouldn't know about something like this is a little condescending.

So, I'd say to call anything a glen in England is inviting Mr Cock-up to the party.  

:lol:


An American writer probably wouldn't know about the word "glen" not being applicable to England.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:23 pm 
 

Especially given that, in American English, any word that can describe anything is usually acceptable usage. So, a copse might be a glen which might be a forest which might be a hill which might be a burg... even more true if it is being used "artistically." Though, that is a no-no in RPG writing, it seems.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6257
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:39 pm 
 

Just stumbled accross a book called green and pleasant lands with a picture og a cricket all on trhe cover, and another kind of flip book with two adventures in it and cut out shits in the middle. Both by Games Workshops probably from the 80's or so. Don't know anything about Cthulhu. Is there a Cthulhu Acaeum type of site with price guides on it?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3361
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:11 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Just stumbled accross a book called green and pleasant lands with a picture og a cricket all on trhe cover, and another kind of flip book with two adventures in it and cut out shits in the middle. Both by Games Workshops probably from the 80's or so. Don't know anything about Cthulhu. Is there a Cthulhu Acaeum type of site with price guides on it?


I was watching a few of those 'Green & Pleasant Lands' last year and they were selling for 10's of ££. From memory anything up to £50 IIRC...


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2552
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2021
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:22 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Is there a Cthulhu Acaeum type of site with price guides on it?


Not really.  The prices at yog-sothoth.com are about three years old.


If you want to sell it to me cheap, I'm in!   :D

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6257
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:32 pm 
 

TheHistorian wrote:The prices at yog-sothoth.com are about three years old.

Just like here then.  :D
I'll probably just stick them up on eBay on open auction. I've never really appreciated CoC or MERPS. I spent the day looking through the stockrooms of my LGS, and didn;t realise how little I know anout what's worth buying and what's not outside of my own very limited scope of experience. I picked these two up along with a stack of FR and Greyhawk 2E sourcebooks, none of which I know anything about ATM.
Did knock back a box of 3.5E Spell Compendiums, in favour of a box of Rules Compendiums, which I may live to regret. Spell Compendium seems to be worth more than Rules Compendium.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.


Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 211
Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Last Visit: May 02, 2021
Location: Arundel, UK

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:33 pm 
 

I think this sums up CoC gamers



http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cthulhu-Grave-Rub ... 286.c0.m14



8O  8O

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3361
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:42 pm 
 

How bizarre!  8O


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: May 02, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:54 pm 
 

Lovecraft's grave at the Swan Point Cemetery in Providence is a well known tourist destination.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/9343


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:09 pm 
 

simonmwh wrote:I think this sums up CoC gamers


** expired eBay auction **


8O  8O




A rubbing of a grave marker is common practice among people who engage in such things as historical research, family history or even just collectors of interesting headstones.



I could imagine a situation where someone would take so many rubbings of a headstone that it would risk damaging the stone...but that is what they do.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 pm 
 

ashmire13 wrote:
I was watching a few of those 'Green & Pleasant Lands' last year and they were selling for 10's of ££. From memory anything up to £50 IIRC...


Blake again.  He's always cropping up.  8O


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6257
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:25 am 
 

Can only assume this is heavily over priced...



http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Call-of-Cthulhu-G ... .m63.l1177



Just picked up this and it's sister publication in brand new mint condition cheap. I'll see if I can get a title for the flip book.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 211
Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Last Visit: May 02, 2021
Location: Arundel, UK

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:00 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:
A rubbing of a grave marker is common practice among people who engage in such things as historical research, family history or even just collectors of interesting headstones.



I used to work near St Martins in the Fields Church off Trafalgar Square where they even run courses on grave rubbing; or at least did a couple of years ago.  
Considering that I had never seen a grave rubbing for sale on ebay before it didn't surprise me that the first one I came across is from the grave of HP Lovecraft.

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3361
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:16 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Can only assume this is heavily over priced...


** expired eBay auction **


Just picked up this and it's sister publication in brand new mint condition cheap. I'll see if I can get a title for the flip book.




Certainly very top end from what I can recall them going for last year. Optimistic, but that doesn't say it won't go for that price...



I'm sure that one went for £50ish last year and others were going for £20-30 regularly.


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: May 02, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Can only assume this is heavily over priced...


** expired eBay auction **


Just picked up this and it's sister publication in brand new mint condition cheap. I'll see if I can get a title for the flip book.


On the high end of what people are willing to pay but not much beyond what I have seen before.

It has been out of print for quite a few years and is still regarded as a definitive sourcebook.

Now amount that CoC fans are willing to pay for GaPL might change since the publication of Kingdom of the Blind meets the need for 1920's and 30's British source material.


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6257
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:53 am 
 

The flip book is the exact same format and from GW. On one side you have The Statue of the Sorcerer, and on the other side tou have The Vanishing Conjurer, and in the centre is the player's handouts still attached. Seems they need to be cut up once detatched. This one I can't find.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 211
Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Last Visit: May 02, 2021
Location: Arundel, UK

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:38 am 
 

Most OOP CoC books in decent condition will go for £15-25.  Main exception being the Orient Express.  I sold mine that I dug out of the loft for £75.  Opened but in decent order.  Funny really as out of all the Chaosium CoC products I found it hardest to get along with.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: May 02, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:44 am 
 

simonmwh wrote:Most OOP CoC books in decent condition will go for £15-25.  Main exception being the Orient Express.  I sold mine that I dug out of the loft for £75.  Opened but in decent order.  Funny really as out of all the Chaosium CoC products I found it hardest to get along with.

That is one of the few CoC items that I do not own. When it was released another local keeper that I gamed with claimed it to run for the group before I even seen it. Out of respect for him I did not buy it so there would be no questions about prior knowledge. He was also the manager of the local games store. He only ran about four sessions before he moved away.
Of course I was partially responsible for that since at the time the store he was working in was in an office block in the hotel I was working in.
The owner of the store was behind on his rent and I had to initiate legal action on behalf of my company to padlock the doors.
This not only closed the local game store but also put my friend out of work.  8O


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 pm 
 

jasonw1239 wrote:That is one of the few CoC items that I do not own. When it was released another local keeper that I gamed with claimed it to run for the group before I even seen it. Out of respect for him I did not buy it so there would be no questions about prior knowledge. He was also the manager of the local games store. He only ran about four sessions before he moved away.
Of course I was partially responsible for that since at the time the store he was working in was in an office block in the hotel I was working in.
The owner of the store was behind on his rent and I had to initiate legal action on behalf of my company to padlock the doors.
This not only closed the local game store but also put my friend out of work.  8O


What a horrible moral dilemma.  You should never have opened the Book of Eibon.

Hey!  How about more country geography wierdness!?  Let's talk smack about Poland or something!


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: May 02, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:33 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:Let's talk smack about Poland or something!

Not smack, but an actual UNESCO site in Poland.
Primeval forest that has been untouched after it became a royal hunting preserve in the 15th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bialowieza_Forest


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 12 of 13123 ... 9, 10, 11, 1213