Good starting points for Cthulhu?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:53 pm 

Cool, thanks guys for the info. I've scanned the companion thread. Wow, big project!

May go for the 1st ed, and then add the Aussie supplement.

Will take another look at the yog site. Looks good.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:23 pm 

Mike is dead right that the 1st edition (box set) has real charm and also that the 3rd edition is the most complete.  However note that the 2nd edition softback book doesn't have the Australian chapter - you get that in the 3rd 'complete' edition.  Also, you should know that the early campaign; Funghi from Yuggoth, was re-printed as Day of the Beast with a some additional chapters.

Tatters of the King was a new large campaign which only came out a few years ago - and has received really good reviews, although I haven't read it.  Anyone here had a look/played it?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:23 pm 

red_bus wrote:Mike is dead right that the 1st edition (box set) has real charm and also that the 3rd edition is the most complete.  However note that the 2nd edition softback book doesn't have the Australian chapter - you get that in the 3rd 'complete' edition.  Also, you should know that the early campaign; Funghi from Yuggoth, was re-printed as Day of the Beast with a some additional chapters.

Tatters of the King was a new large campaign which only came out a few years ago - and has received really good reviews, although I haven't read it.  Anyone here had a look/played it?

Whoops, didn't look before I posted, I assumed the 2nd ed had the Australian chapter? If not, avoid that one, no point.

Another campaign I didn't care for actually was Spawn of Azathoth. Sort of all over the place, with not a good unifying theme, and a kind of "railroady" plotline.

Pagan's Walker in the Waste, if you can afford it, is pretty darn good.

The 1st edition Cthulhu Now is also pretty nifty, as the rules make it very easy to make the jump to the 1980s, and all four of the included scenarios are top notch.  The sequel to "The Colour Out of Space" is especially great and could lead to some frightening and nail biting moments...I've always wanted to run it!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:41 pm 

What is a ballpark cost for getting a 1st Ed Masks?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:19 am 

You should be able to get one for $20-40, I think; they're not usually super-expensive, but then I also haven't been looking in earnest in the past 12-18 months either ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:38 am 

I think that Allan is right about the price if you are willing to be patient.

Although lately the perfect-bound reprint "Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep" has been selling in the $40-$45 range.

The key thing to do if the item comes up for auction is to contact the seller to determine the state of the player handouts. If it has been used in gameplay there is a chance that they have been cut out in which case it is difficult to know if they are all present.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:53 am 

Here's a sighter for a VGC- 1st ed.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:23 pm 

g026r wrote:Well, Horror on the Orient express falls into both the collectible and the boxed adventure category, though it falls just outside your preferred range (1991).

There weren't many other adventures that came in a box: the first ed of Masks of Nyarlarthotep, the first Spawn of Azathoth.  There may be more (the 1st versions of Cthulhu by Gaslight and The Dreamlands came in boxes, but those are more settings than adventures.), but that's all that's immediately coming to mind.  As a side note: if you pick up a first ed. Masks then I also recommend getting Terror Australis, which contains the "missing" Australian chapter that was later added into the Complete Masks printings.

For rules, I'd suggest the 3rd ed. hardback that GW put out in the mid-80s.  It's essentially the same as the previous editions, but reorganized in one volume and with some wonderful colour illustrations.  Tends to be a bit cheaper than the boxes as well, and you don't have to worry about missing parts.  (Though there is that lovely Games Workshop binding quality to watch out for...)

For adventures, if you want something early then there's always Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, which was the first published campaign for the game.  Another I enjoy/would recommend is 1989's Great Old Ones -- a classic collection of scenarios, in my mind.

Dreamlands in the box includes a wonderful set of scenarios, though the book has them as well.  All of the early boxed sets were incredibly good works.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 pm 

Thanks for the price idea. And great timing! I'll at least get to watch and see how much interest this one gets :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:43 am 

Rafm did blister packs for CoC, I don't think Ral Partha ever did.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:23 am 

Badmike wrote:
Another campaign I didn't care for actually was Spawn of Azathoth. Sort of all over the place, with not a good unifying theme, and a kind of "railroady" plotline.

Absolutely agree.  Fabulous cover art for the box set and great teaser text.  But inside, a little disconnected and a bit odd generally.

Badmike wrote:Pagan's Walker in the Waste, if you can afford it, is pretty darn good.

Another super campaign (ten chapters or something), and the artwork for Pagan's stuff is better than Chaosium.  Although I don't know anyone who has actually run it  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:37 am 

Walker:

Course I'll be bidding so things will get very silly, as usual!

PoC will be running this next year and releasing audio as he goes.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:07 am 

Speaking of silly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHADOW-OVER-INNSMOU ... p1638.m124

Any true Lovecraft aficionado must own this book.....right?  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:32 am 

red_bus wrote:
Another super campaign (ten chapters or something), and the artwork for Pagan's stuff is better than Chaosium.  Although I don't know anyone who has actually run it  :D

Survival rate would be horrific.  There are at least five TPKs (or close to it) in Walker in the Wastes.  I honestly think the only way to run it would be for the players to have their own mercenary team of WWI vets, ex-cops, gangsters, and big game hunters loaded with weaponry as their personal bodyguards through the adventure. But yeh it looks great.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:34 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Speaking of silly:

Any true Lovecraft aficionado must own this book.....right?  :wink:

Only if you have very deep pockets...  8O

If you are a real fan, you will look for this version which includes the original notes from Lovecraft and portions of a discarded draft of the story. Preserved and edited by Lovecraft scholars S.T. Joshi & David E. Schultz.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/H-P-Lovecraft-The-Sh ... 8314051182

Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:26 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:

Only if you have very deep pockets...  8O

If you are a real fan, you will look for this version which includes the original notes from Lovecraft and portions of a discarded draft of the story. Preserved and edited by Lovecraft scholars S.T. Joshi & David E. Schultz.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/H-P-Lovecraft-The-Sh ... 8314051182

BTW Jason good timing on the Tibet monograph...hopefully you'll get a bump in sales from all the pub lately about the troubles there.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:05 am 

Thanks Mike,
Chaosium is thinking the same thing. They issued a "store newsletter" to their subscription list yesterday that featured the following:
MAYBE IN TIBET!
We have copies of a new monograph, SECRETS OF TIBET, on-hand. Timely, too, with Tibet currently in the news. This monograph offers a study of the religion, people and mythology of mysterious Tibet.

As I mention in the monograph, Tibet has a very long history with China including several invasions. There was one occasion where advisers to the Chinese Emperor was so afraid of Chinese technologies falling into Tibetan hands that they were ready to destroy every book in China to prevent it from happening.

In the western world we have a media-driven image of a peaceful people led by gentle monks. This may be true in recent history, but the stories tend to leave out many facts such as Tibet having legalized slavery up to the time of the 1950 Chinese invasion. "Non-lethal" ways of dealing with criminals such as publicly chopping off their hands and feet or sewing them up in leather sacks and tossing them in the nearest river. The recruitment of Tibetan bandit tribes during the 1950's and 60's by the CIA in operation ST CIRCUS. Many Tibetan warriors were flown to Camp Hale in Colorado for training in guerilla warfare and then returned to fight the Chinese out of the Mustang Kingdom in northern Nepal. This program was arranged by the Dalai Lama's brother. The order to stop fighting and lay down their arms was issued by the Dalai Lama only after the CIA cut off funding.

Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:28 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:In the western world we have a media-driven image of a peaceful people led by gentle monks. This may be true in recent history, but the stories tend to leave out many facts such as Tibet having legalized slavery up to the time of the 1950 Chinese invasion.

Don't forget the bloodthirsty Tibetan Empire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tibet

At least, I make them as bloodthirsty as possible in my Dark Ages campaign, as a deliberate surprise to players' expectations otherwise.

PreviousNext