Free RPG Day 2008-Saturday June 21
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 pm 

Plaag wrote:And looks like my Noble Knight order arrived :)
Got the 4e adventure, Punjar Gaz, and Starsiege (with Paizo mod, C&C 2008 rules and T&T adventure arriving from the result of separate orders from other sources). Figure spent about $15-20 all told for all this.

What kind of shipping did you use? I got my order confirmation by 12:01 (EST) yesterday but just got the shipping confirmation this morning. Supposed to ship by "DHL Ground".

Tips for next year to avoid site slowdowns:
-The free stuff was supposed to go on "sale" at 11 CST (12 EST), some items started appearing at 10:50.
-If ordering NK stock, put items in cart early (I bought a JG Caverns of Thracia and a Polyhedron #28 to hit the $25 threshold)
-Pay by PayPal, even if using credit card to avoid having to enter information on their website

Last edited by Zenopus on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:36 am 

zhowar wrote:
What kind of shipping did you use? I got my order confirmation by 12:01 yesterday but just got the shipping confirmation this morning. Supposed to ship by "DHL Ground".

Tips for next year to avoid site slowdowns:
-The free stuff was supposed to go on "sale" at 11 CST (12 EST), some items started appearing at 10:50.
-If ordering NK stock, put items in cart early (I bought a JG Caverns of Thracia and a Polyhedron #28 to hit the $25 threshold)
-Pay by PayPal, even if using credit card to avoid having to enter information on their website

Priority Mail, but I live really damn close :)

And if you have a log in name/password for the site, then you can pay by Credit Card also with no hassles. (though you do have to enter in the CC info.)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:11 am 

"DHL Ground".

Not a good time to use DHL for deliveries.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.as ... c932635f75

Therapy-level collector

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:56 am 

chromaticknight wrote:
Not a good time to use DHL for deliveries.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.as ... c932635f75

I am unsure how that situation directly affects DHL's deliveries.

It certainly affects several thousand workers at the airport home of ABX Air, but since 2003 that company has been a completely separate entity.
ABX was once a part of Airborne Express, which was acquired by DHL in 2003.
However; DHL kept the ground service portion of Airborne Express and created a separate company out of the Air Service portion of Airborne Express while also creating an exclusive contract with that new company for Air delivery.
Once that happened, the Air Service portion was separated into what is now ABX Air.

Now DHL has decide they want to save money, so they entered into negotiations with UPS for Air Delivery with them.

Sucks for the employees and stockholders of ABX Air, but it is huge for UPS Stock holders.
Obviously, Big Brown stock will jump through the freaking roof if that deal goes through. 8O

If DHL saves a bundle using UPS instead of ABX, then it will be huge for their stock as well.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:01 am 

Aneoth wrote:I am unsure how that situation directly affects DHL's deliveries.

You would be amazed at how many packages accidentally get dropped or go missing when 6,000 employees are about to get laid off.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:10 am 

Mars wrote:You would be amazed at how many packages accidentally get dropped or go missing when 6,000 employees are about to get laid off.

In my experience, that's different from DHL's normal service how? ;)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:39 am 

Mars wrote:
You would be amazed at how many packages accidentally get dropped or go missing when 6,000 employees are about to get laid off.

exactly!

However; DHL kept the ground service portion of Airborne Express and created a separate company out of the Air Service portion of Airborne Express while also creating an exclusive contract with that new company for Air delivery.
Once that happened, the Air Service portion was separated into what is now ABX Air.

This has nothing to do with the original question but here goes. DHL does not control any part of Airborne Express or ABX Air. They are simply their number one (huge) customer. It is actually illegal for a foreign entity to own controlling interest in a US airline.

To go further off topic, that is why DHL airways became Astar air, and gave up 51% of the controlling interest.

Therapy-level collector

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:59 am 

Paizo's Revenge of the Kobold King is now available as a free PDF or a $5 print purchase:

http://paizo.com/store/paizoExclusives/v5748btpy83w1

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:41 am 

I'm selling the 4E triad on eBay with 80% of the profits going to the Christian Children's Fund.  If the auction goes for $20, then I've made a whopping $4 dollars . . . minus the Insertion fee, the Final Value fee, the PayPal fee . . .

I decided against inserting a rant about game store owners who resell promo items online and people who pay $20 for something that was free and non-collectible.

zhowar wrote:Paizo's Revenge of the Kobold King is now available as a free PDF or a $5 print purchase:

http://paizo.com/store/paizoExclusives/v5748btpy83w1

Are Goodman or White Wolf doing anything similar?  Free RPG Day is supposed to get customers into brick-and-mortar stores.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:11 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Are Goodman or White Wolf doing anything similar?  Free RPG Day is supposed to get customers into brick-and-mortar stores.

WW unsure..Goodman said they aren't, and now I'm thinking they may not release the Punjar freebie as it'll probably be the same or similar info in the full product whenever that comes out.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:14 am 

This I thought was a good post by Vic Wertz on the Paizo boards
Every year, there are retailers who promote Free RPG Day and Free Comic Book Day for months ahead of time, with flyers and posters, and even local TV spots. They come up with additional reasons to bring people into the store, and keep them there, and make them feel that they're being treated well—demos, sales, food, appearances from local "people of note." They stock additional products for the occasion, especially from the manufacturers represented in the product kit, and they make sure that if you see something you like in the freebies, they're there to educate you about the related for-sale items. In short, they use it as an opportunity to promote themselves while putting on their best face. As a result, many of these guys do gangbuster sales and acquire new customers that will come back next month or the months after.

Also every year, there are the guys who spend money on a box of books and dump it on a table on Saturday morning, and then sit around wondering why they wasted their money.

As with Free Comic Book Day, most retailers will get out of it what they put into it.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:02 pm 

Plaag wrote:This I thought was a good post by Vic Wertz on the Paizo boards

True enough, but this is only the second year for Free RPG Day.  Lazy retailers may get wiser for next year and advertise or promote it more.  Customers will also remember this year's experience, which had to be better than last year's.  Year One was dead as a doornail; Year Two was advertised on the store windows and had some games with players.

D&D Day also came before Free RPG Day this year, so stores and gamers were more informed or at least expected Free RPG Day.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:14 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Year One was dead as a doornail; Year Two was advertised on the store windows and had some games with players.

Year Two also became more of an international thing.  There ended up being a UK Free RPG day last year but other countries such as Canada didn't have one.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:52 pm 

Treasure of Talon Pass (The WotC 4E Free RPG adventure) is going for upwards of $50 at auction (one was $69!), and Bins of $35 and $39 bucks are getting snapped up right away.

There have been at least a couple of these posted (on Ebay) every day, so it can't be that rare - is there any way these prices will sustain themselves, or is this a case of people being ridiculous?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:22 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote:Treasure of Talon Pass (The WotC 4E Free RPG adventure) is going for upwards of $50 at auction (one was $69!), and Bins of $35 and $39 bucks are getting snapped up right away.

There have been at least a couple of these posted (on Ebay) every day, so it can't be that rare - is there any way these prices will sustain themselves, or is this a case of people being ridiculous?

Grug;

You are becoming very attuned to the ways of the Newbie Collector, young Jedi.  You are just beginning to see the truth beyond the haze....just remember the words of our great leader, P.T. Barnum:

"There's a sucker born every minute...and he soon ends up on Ebay overpaying for items that have hype but no actual rarity."

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:"There's a sucker born every minute...and he soon ends up on Ebay overpaying for items that have hype but no actual rarity."

I am surprised to see the value holding after one week.  Will the value hold until Gencon?  Will GenCon push the price up (publicity, possibly more copies for eBay) or down (too many copies for eBay)?

Best buy them now before they are all gone!!!   :wink:  Three auctions with module/map/mini are closing tonight; maybe they will continue the trend.

Also, I saw that the Iron Heroes module is available as a free PDF from DriveThruRPG.   Paizo has D1.5 as a free PDF or $5 print copy.  Troll Lord has the first C&C Quickstart.  How about other publishers?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:42 pm 

Badmike wrote:
"There's a sucker born every minute...and he soon ends up on Ebay overpaying for items that have hype but no actual rarity."

Mike B.

And in the end, the value will be determined by what runs out first - the supply (which at the moment is not letting up) or the demand (which will dwindle as more 4E products come available).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:55 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote:
And in the end, the value will be determined by what runs out first - the supply (which at the moment is not letting up) or the demand (which will dwindle as more 4E products come available).

Bingo young Jedi.... :D

I'm mostly influenced by the fact that some of the items ALREADY are available as free downloads; with many more to follow, I assume.  I am going to predict Talon Pass will follow, or be given away at Gencon; Word is that Goodman Game's Punjar will be available as a download, or the same material available in a later sourcebok for the Punjar setting.   So I'm not seeing a lot of value for these. To be truly collectible, said Free RPG Day item will have to be both hard to find, AND not available elsewhere. From last year only the Warhammer module, and the Game Mastery module (despite this one being available as a free download from Paizo) have shown any resale value for me.  We won't know about this year's crop for awhile....but I'm going to predict Talon Pass won't be getting $35 a pop after Gencon, and more 4E stuff becomes commercially available....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext